Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I got an offer from Carmax today online for my 2017 4Runner for $27k. No thanks, the cheapest 2017 I can fin within 500 miles of me is $36k!
Sponsored

emaier

Outer Banks
First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Laramie
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just sold them my GMC and they were $3000 more then Carvana. Just be prepared to wait it took over 4 hours on a Monday afternoon.

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Really? I think I was in and out in 30 minutes when it came to paperwork. Granted I already had a quote... so maybe 45 minutes if you count the first visit where I got a quote.
Yeah, I had a quote too. The beginning was done in 30 min maybe less, just verifying what I had listed in my quote was accurate. The finance/payment part where I signed my title over was the part that was crazy backed up. Could have been just a shitty day? Also saw a bunch of people coming in for cash payments...

That said I'd still sell again to CarMax, provided the quote was in the acceptable range of course.

OP
OP
adk749

adk749

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Any insight into Givemethevin? They also offered a similar amount. Thanks everyone!

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Great experience with Carmax, sold 2 Bronco Sports to them last year, the OBX got me $5k over purchase price and the Badlands got me $2.5k. Both deals were smooth, can't say enough about Carmax. I actually had the same guy process the paperwork on both cars, as I was leaving the 2nd time he said "see you next month". :)

Sponsored

balucipher

Big Bend
First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

CarMax bought my 4xe. They pulled the payoff from Chrysler Capital, did all the paperwork, and handed me a hefty check for the profit from it within 2 hours of me arriving to trade it in. No hassles and they paid off Chrysler Capital very quickly.

They beat AutoNation and Carvana by around $6500 too

splytsecond

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
sold the girlfriend's 2018 tucson to carmax in prep for her bronco sport. got an OK deal in 2018 on it but carmax offered more than we bought it for 3 years ago.

expected a runaround when we got there but didnt even have to interact with a salesperson. was directed to the business desk where they setup an appraisal to confirm our online offer. we grabbed lunch while we waited and when we got back they only needed minor information to cut the check. it was exactly the same as the online offer and absolutely zero hassle along the way

fv9

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport, 2005 Lotus Elise, Protoform P3 formula vee, Crossle 32F formula ford
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just sold a 2008 Mercedes CLK 350 with 41k miles to them and they paid twice what Vroom, etc offered. I was shocked at the online offer and that it was confirmed at the store. Super easy transaction. I’m super happy.

ocbucks1

Outer Banks
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyta
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The hassle free part is a advantage for sure. But still they are a middleman. Since they are re selling there is a margin and you are probably leaving some on the table. How much of that margin you can get on a retail sale will of course vary. That’s the judgment call. Personally I don’t like middlemen and I would rather sell directly.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Shopped my Ram truck around, CarMax gave the best offer.
In and out in about 90 minutes with a check that cleared the next day.

Sponsored

broncoSJ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sold my Mini Cooper S to Carmax yesterday. In and out in 2 hours. Honored online offer. Good experience.

OP
OP
adk749

adk749

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just sold my Jetta to them yesterday. Hassle free and honored their bloated estimate. I left there like I thought I stole something.

pfd799

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage :(, Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From what I understand they’re overpaying for two reasons which are somewhat connected. They’re trying to choke out their competition (primarily Carvana and vroom) and they have a pretty big tax bill from the past few years of strong profits. So each of these cars they overpay for is one less for the competition and if/when they sell it for less than they paid it helps them with taxes.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I sold 2 Wrangler Rubicons and a Focus ST at CarMax. Got more than expected each time. Each time was as easy as one can imagine. They have an excellent business model. Definitely recommend highly!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Defneder 90
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Carmax is paying crazy prices for vehicles in California and Nevada. I recently sold two 2021 defenders to them. My 110 four-door, which was a base model and had a sticker price of $57,000, was purchased with 8000 miles for $71,000. My 90 two-door, which was also a base model that had a sticker price of $55,000, was it purchased with 13,000 miles for $60,000. Transaction was seamless and was in and out of there in 30 minutes for each deal
Sponsored