Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The perfect Bronco (IMO)

So I’m loving everything about the new Bronco. However, seeing how small the two door ended up being it has left me feeling that Ford didn’t fully capitalize on the Bronco being a roomier more civilized Jeep.
It’s made a copy of the Jeep. Be it a better one in a lot of aspects and it is longer. But I think it would have separated itself even more if it was even a little more longer. The 5th generation Bronco actually had a really good size wheelbase at 104.7” and was very stable.

Jeep made an extended wheelbase Wrangler unlimited (LJ) from 2004 to 2006 and I think it was the perfect size. It’s shocking to me that they didn’t keep making them. It had a wheelbase of 103.7” and had a nice amount of storage space, handled better and towed better. It reminded me more of a Bronco actually.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopn...p-wrangler-unlimited-lj-is-the-1837831885/amp

If Ford would capitalize on this they would make the perfect size Bronco and the perfect size off-road vehicle. What we have now is great too and they are improved but basically tweaked Jeeps. A 103” to 105” wheelbase Bronco to me would be a more true to itself Bronco. In the process making a more stable and bigger storage spaced Bronco. Really capitalizing on Jeeps short comings.

I really hope Ford considers this in the future. You could even turn it into a nice small pickup with the top removed. Like the concept Jeep made. This would be such a cool trio of Broncos if Ford capitalizes on this.

What do you guys think?

2KYwswRDB3tmvA12i1ichi_2blNJSvRp72nLH80dWX8.jpg

j6mbqrsa379bnldlmm0v7qqk2f93-1554673546.jpg
I find it interesting that the J6 is still popping up on this forum as well as the Wrangler forums almost two years after it was introduced at EJS.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BroncoRevital

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the new Bronco looked like some of the renderings here, I'd have no interest
in making a move from Jeep to Ford.
It's the throw-back styling of the new Bronc that is the draw for those of us who feel Jeep has changed too much over the years, with their longer bodies, rounded edges and softer look. The new Bronc is more like what some feel is the ideal (or original) 'Jeep look' (Bronco look?). And more people buy a vehicle for its looks & styling than for capability. A small percentage of Jeep owners ever take their rigs off the pavement or drive in snow. It'll be about the same for the Bronc.
I'm sure Ford spent thousands of man-hours just focusing on body length and wheelbase, not even including width and height. They obviously got it right, judging from the interest.
No one is debating the looks of the new Bronco here and no ones saying what they made is bad.
Just adding that if they made another Bronco size in the middle it would be the ideal size for most off-roading.

Woosh!

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm in CO too, and will have a '05 LJ Rubicon for sale in a few months!
What color is your LJ? My wife is getting the Bronco so I wont have to part ways with mine. But I do feel bad for it that Im always driving my truck.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What color is your LJ? My wife is getting the Bronco so I wont have to part ways with mine. But I do feel bad for it that Im always driving my truck.
Kahki

OP
OP
BroncoRevital

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a reason I am getting the 4 door, and I would definitely like the idea of an extended 2 door version. That said, I am not surprised that the Bronco 2 door is "small" after all it has a 4" longer wheelbase than the Wrangler (which looks like a slightly inflated powerwheels to me) and the 4 door is 2" shorter wheelbase than the limo length 4 door Wrangler. They moved the goalposts further from the extremes and more towards what I consider optimal in either case. Because of that I had a tough time not getting the 2 door! Believe it or not I am going 4 door for some of the benefits it has off-road (there are a couple) not just the interior space for overlanding/road trips. I think the best case for a stretched 2 door Bronco would be to land the wheelbase between the 2 and 4 door (108") but then we are really starting to split hairs and the production volume would doubtfully pay for it. If it were up to me I would make an extended 2 door pickup on the 4 door wheelbase.
Totally agree. I think it’s great they made them both less extreme then what Jeep offers. The 2d is almost perfect. It’s great for rock crawler option but just a little on the small side for space and to be a more stable size for most all around off-roading.
Totally splitting hairs here but again they don’t call the Jeep LJ the holy grail of Jeeps for nothing.

There was an article last year about the bronco size compared to it's historical sizes.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33277087/2021-ford-bronco-size-compared-to-old-broncos/

FWIW: i've seen the 4-door bronco in person at the Filson event in Seattle (Overland showcase model and Filson model), it is absolutely HUGE. A few people dropped their pants to drag out their lifted Jeep's and park next to the Broncos (on the curb, because when you go full tool, you can't undo such awesomeness).

People are going to be either pleasantly surprised by the size of Bronco (if they have ample place to park at home) or shocked at it's size (when you have no place to park it or live in the city)

Track width is drastically wider than most trails will have bedded in, and it's bulk is obvious in every dimension. If there wasn't a 2-door option I would have cancelled my reservation as I don't want a vehicle as large as the 4-door. And I certainly don't want a Sasquatch package. Badlands with 33" tires will be drastically more than 90% of Bronco owners will ever need, yet the take-rate on Squatch will be north of 10% i'd wager.

Pics for scale. This lady was pretty short, and the camera is distorting the image a bit.
20201023_121628.jpg

Belt line comes to the shoulders of 6' guys with 37" tires.
122597228_10207803722447943_8491204263004558069_n.jpg

20201023_121513.jpg
It’s surprising just how big the Bronco is. Once you get into the numbers you realize it’s a substantial vehicle.
The width surprises me the most. You’re right with Sasquatch it’s almost too wide. I’m leaning BL with 33”s non Sasquatch for that reason. Seeing how the weight of the new Bronco is almost the same as a G5 shows you just how big it is.
It’s kind of all around bigger then Jeep so the extra space is in volume rather then like having a lot more extra cargo space. Still stoked on it though and can’t wait.
Sponsored