Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 6-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What Bronco trim did the SAS takeoff coilovers come from? I’m looking to do this to my BD but worried about the different part numbers between trims causing problems
Badlands SAS.
Sponsored

sklnbnzaz

Badlands
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When you go to 35's one thing you may need to do if you don't upgrade the wheels and stick with the stock wheels is remove the crash bars and add a 1 1/2" spacer when you get the 35's on there. Stock is a +55 offset and Sas is a +30 Offset. When we put 35's on our non Sas Badlands we needed to add the spacer for the stock wheels.

OP
OP
gorgin4325

gorgin4325

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 6-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When you go to 35's one thing you may need to do if you don't upgrade the wheels and stick with the stock wheels is remove the crash bars and add a 1 1/2" spacer when you get the 35's on there. Stock is a +55 offset and Sas is a +30 Offset. When we put 35's on our non Sas Badlands we needed to add the spacer for the stock wheels.
Already done and ready for the new tires :)

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Awesome build and looks great! Nice touch you switched the chrome lug nuts to black way better looking.

Evans67bro

Black Diamond
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250, 67Bronco,2022 BD,2023 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looks great. You got some great deals on your parts.I did a cheap squatch on both my blackdiamond Broncos.
I did a 2 spacer lift stock SAS wheels and tires. Removed the crash bars but no wheel spacers and no rubbing at all. Stuck with the stock flares. I think all in I have about $2,600 each in the package

I wheeled my wifes 4door pretty hard and had no issues at all. Just used the rear locker once or twice.

20230128_145147.jpg

20230408_110042.jpg

Sponsored

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I also did a self-squatch with my Black Diamond, although used a different path to get what I wanted, while avoiding the high retail price of the SAS package. My total cost was about $500.

I installed aftermarket Method wheels with 35mm offset (same as Sasquatch wheels), so I didn't need a wheel spacer. I love the look, and didn't want the same SAS wheels that you see on most Broncos.

I used take-off 35" tires from a Sasquatch Bronco, as well as TPMS sensors. I sold my OEM steelies with OEM tires for nearly as much as I paid for my aftermarket wheels and take-off tires. I think I was about $400 out of pocket after getting the tires mounted and balanced on the new wheels.

I had to unbolt the crash bars to get the 35" tires to fit. No cost for this.

I installed a 2" spacer style lift kit, which "levels" the stance front to rear, as well as provide a lift similar to what you'd get when you install the sasquatch springs and shocks. By going this route, I have the same ride characteristics as my original black diamond springs and shocks, but the bronco sits nearly 2" higher. Note that I did not put a spacer under the spring seat, which reduces rebound travel and also puts the shock absorber into a different position in its travel, which I thought might affect the ride quality. Instead, I used a spacer that goes above the shock assembly (under the frame where it is mounted). This preserves the spring rate, shock rate, as well as jounce and rebound travel. I'm not worried about the CV angle at full droop, as it is similar to what a Sasquatch would have, so overall, I'm still within factory limits for all the geometry. Lift kit was about $100. Installed myself - no cost. Had alignment performed afterwards using FordPass points, but would have otherwise been about $100.

I left my wheel flares alone, as I think the amount of "poke" is perfect with this setup. The sidewall of the tire sticks out past the flare, but the tread of the tire is covered by the flare. I like the appearance of the non-SAS flares a bit better than the wider SAS flares.

Ideally, I would love to someday upgrade the shocks to sasquatch, or the newer HOSS but I'm happy with the ride quality as-is for now. Someday if they need to be replaced due to age, then I would consider an upgrade.

What would you say the level of difficulty is installing the level kit? I am a pretty experienced DIY, but I have never done anything suspension related. Are there any links or videos you watched that you would recommend?

FoxFour281

Black Diamond
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 02 Expedition EB
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What would you say the level of difficulty is installing the level kit? I am a pretty experienced DIY, but I have never done anything suspension related. Are there any links or videos you watched that you would recommend?
There's a few videos out on YT that go through the process of striping the suspension down to pull the strut assembly. But I think you can get away from all that if you unbolt the front lower control arms from the frame and dropping the strut that way. Seems easier than needing to pop out CV axles and tie rod ends.

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There's a few videos out on YT that go through the process of striping the suspension down to pull the strut assembly. But I think you can get away from all that if you unbolt the front lower control arms from the frame and dropping the strut that way. Seems easier than needing to pop out CV axles and tie rod ends.
This is how I replaced my struts. There was a video posted in one of the threads.

Turning my Black Diamond into a fake "Bad Diamond" with Badlands Non-Squatch struts. 😂
Front locker in the near future.

sergk

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'd stick with regular fender flares.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What Bronco trim did the SAS takeoff coilovers come from? I’m looking to do this to my BD but worried about the different part numbers between trims causing problems
You really need only to worry about 2 door vs 4 door, 2.7 vs 2.3, and tow vs no tow package.

Even if you don't match perfectly, I suspect it will be ok. I am getting ready to swap an Everglades (4 door) into a 2 door OBX 2.7. We will see how it works out.

Sponsored

Wheelin72

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There are several videos on YT, and I watched as many as I could find prior to starting the job. As others have already said, you do not need to remove the halfshaft, and I would not suggest doing so. You do have to remove the front lower control arm inner bolts to let the LCA hang down. You also need to remove the front stabilizer bar. The spring/shock assembly can then be unbolted and it slips right out. This was actually really easy. With the whole bronco up on 4 jack stands, I used my floor jack to ease the LCA down when those bolts came out.
You then need to use a spring compressor and remove the upper shock mount, then rotate the shock mount 180 degrees when installing the spacer above the shock. The kit should have instructions to explain this in more detail. Again, this is not hard if you use a spring compressor. I rented one for free from a local auto parts store.
I would say the rear was the most difficult. The rear trailing arm bolts are extremely tight, and with the bronco only up on jack stands (as opposed to being all the way up in the air on a lift), I had little leverage to push or pull on the breaker bar. I actually used my floor jack to push up on the breaker bar to break the bolts loose. You will also want to use a floor jack to hold the differential / axle from falling too far once you have the shock removed. You can also use the floor jack to manipulate the axle up and down to help get everything lined up when putting the shock back in. You might need an extra set of hands and a pry bar to force things to line up. Some instructions say that you need to remove the panhard rod (lateral link), although I don't see the point in doing this. I left mine installed and I was able to complete the removal and replacement of the shocks without issue.

FoxFour281

Black Diamond
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 02 Expedition EB
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is how I replaced my struts. There was a video posted in one of the threads.

Turning my Black Diamond into a fake "Bad Diamond" with Badlands Non-Squatch struts. 😂
Front locker in the near future.
On a 1 to 10 scale, how would you rate the difficulty? It all seems more bulky than anything else. Is Ford still beep-bopping with TTY bolts?

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
On a 1 to 10 scale, how would you rate the difficulty? It all seems more bulky than anything else. Is Ford still beep-bopping with TTY bolts?
I'd say a 4 for me having done suspension work before. Someone less experienced maybe a 7. Mostly due to awkwardness, difficulty of removing some bolts, and different tools needed. And my struts were complete so I didn't have to deal with spring compressors.

No TTY bolts that I found.

BUFFBRONCOS

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just finished a similar build on my big bend;

All parts bought from this forum..
Wildtrak Rims $500
Tires $800
2” RC lift $100

Install $400 mount balance alignment
Ford Bronco Fake Squatched my Bronco (Black Diamond)! 2720D69D-CB6F-491C-ADB9-8985682EE715
Ford Bronco Fake Squatched my Bronco (Black Diamond)! 6314DD7C-CA4D-4253-81CC-02BF8F3A0A1D

PhillySpecial18

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco / 2017 Mustang / 2012 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP, send a pic when the 35s finally get on there. Nice bronco