Sponsored

first 1000 mile factory oil change? worth it?

1stCar76Bronco

First Edition
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Edge Sport tuned
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Interesting, this came up today. I’m currently sitting at Ford for the initial oil change. I’ve always been a believer in the low mileage initial oil change. However, time and schedule got in the way this time.

I’m sitting at 2700 miles, go to ford for the service and I’m told it’s not necessary, ford sets oil changes at 5k. Just surprised they no longer recommend the initial 1k change.

Anyway, I’m here so I’m getting it changed but they seem surprised.
Sponsored

Kk1340

Base
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alot
Your Bronco Model
Base
We are picking up the wife's bronco today and I plan on changing it at 1000 miles. 2..3 engine. Any recommendations on oil to use. German sports car guy so I use liqui moly in my cars.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve always done 3k followed by 5K intervals. No real reason for it, just what I came up with as a teenager after building my first engine. Have never lost an engine to bearing or cam/lifter wear failure.

pdilecce

Wildtrak
First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was bored, and so did the 1000-mile change. I cut the filter open and found some metal shards in the filter media. Small, but they were there. Normal I guess.

The front driver-side skid plate bolt appeared to be cross-thread from the factory. Impact had a hard time backing it out.

I found an oil spot on the skid plate. I'm hoping it came from checking oil. I could not see any leaking.

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
just hit 1000 miles and i remember reading somewhere it might be a good idea to change early to get the factory "grit" out of the engine.

Any truth to this lore? 2.7 btw.
Oil changes are practically free. And getting the crap out of your engine from the first thousand miles is a good idea in my opinion. I know oils are better than they used to be but I’ve driven over 2,000,000 miles and broken in many new vehicles, and I have literally never had a mechanical failure or repair of any kind and I owe most of that to breaking them in gently and changing the oil early and often. Some will laugh, but I don’t care because my vehicles don’t have issues.

Sponsored

Foxbody Barra

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I always do my first change at 1k the latest and 5k after. You won’t find a single mechanic that rebuilds engines anywhere that will tell you to wait for the factory oil minder. People that tell you it’s fine don’t work on cars.

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black Diamond, '06 Scion xB, '61 Impala
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just got a 1k change on mine. Overkill? Maybe, but I'm OCDo_O

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
just hit 1000 miles and i remember reading somewhere it might be a good idea to change early to get the factory "grit" out of the engine.

Any truth to this lore? 2.7 btw.
There is no downside, other than spending a few bucks. I always do a a break-in oil change between 500-1000 and check the oil and filter for any metal.
Sponsored