First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

A gas jockey did this to my 1970, 240 Z.... what a mess.
One good thing that came out of it was I learned a very simple and effective way to clean the engine bay. Spray everything down with a mixture of blue Dawn and water, pretty heavy concentration maybe 1:4 at most, I never measure it. Wash it all down by hand with a microfiber wash mitt and soft bristle brushes dunked in your favorite car wash and voila it sparkles. Better results than costly spray degreasers and no damage to any labels or anything which a lot of degreasers will do. You don’t have to let it sit, just spray, wash, then rinse with garden spray setting on on your nozzle as quickly and effectively as you can. Obviously avoid your air intake.
Sponsored

OP
OP
robsafari

robsafari

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can you please post a photo of the current oil level on the dipstick?

I doubt you could have driven it for an entire day with 12 quarts in the engine. Maybe just overfilled by a few quarts and it blew a gasket or seal? That’s why a photo would help.

Also, please post a photo or two showing the oil around the crankshaft.
Can you please post a photo of the current oil level on the dipstick?

I doubt you could have driven it for an entire day with 12 quarts in the engine. Maybe just overfilled by a few quarts and it blew a gasket or seal? That’s why a photo would help.

Also, please post a photo or two showing the oil around the crankshaft.
Ford Bronco First oil change botched IMG_20220925_105206
Ford Bronco First oil change botched IMG_20220924_161333
Ford Bronco First oil change botched IMG_20220924_161325

Got these yesterday, raining today but you can't really see much I guess.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMG_20220925_105206.jpg
IMG_20220924_161333.jpg
IMG_20220924_161325.jpg

Thanks for sharing the photos. I can't actually tell where the top of the oil is showing on the dipstick, but I think the space between the holes at the end of the dipstick represents approximately one quart. :unsure:

If the tech didn't remove the oil drain plug at all and just dumped in another 6 quarts for the service fill, the oil level would probably be WELL above the twist (e.g., a couple of inches) to reflect 12 quarts versus 6 quarts. Maybe he drained the pan and changed the filter, but simply overfilled the amount needed?

You definitely have a problem on your hands, and you deserve to get it fixed. You also shouldn't drive it until it's fixed. But I doubt you would have been able to drive it around town for a day if there were truly 12 quarts of oil in the engine. I can see driving around with 7, 8, or possibly 9 quarts of oil in the engine, but not 12 quarts. 🤷‍♂️

Derbystud

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The leak you are showing isn't the front crank seal it is the front differential pinion seal. Also doesn't look that overfill. The hole in the stick is the full level they come from the factory at. On the 2.3 the oil filter is mounted above the "leak spot" you show in the pictures. The lube tech probably just didn't clean up after he changed the oil. They do make a mess when removing them.

Last edited:

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It's hard to see where the level is but it almost looks within the hash marks. Is the last picture showing oil coming out of the channel? If so that is the diverter when you pull off the filter, it collects the oil that would spill and channel it to where you can collect it. Is it possible the oil is coming from the filter? The filter maybe not tight or double sealed or something.

Sponsored
OP
OP
robsafari

robsafari

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks everyone I appreciate the advice and I agree now after checking again and hearing the responses that it may have just been a little over the full mark. Crank shaft or differential seal hopefully isn't a leak or more serious problem and is maybe just a filter installation issue. Love having this resource as I had to wait the weekend before I can call on Monday

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thanks everyone I appreciate the advice and I agree now after checking again and hearing the responses that it may have just been a little over the full mark. Crank shaft or differential seal hopefully isn't a leak or more serious problem and is maybe just a filter installation issue. Love having this resource as I had to wait the weekend before I can call on Monday
Hopefully no harm done. Does this appear to be the level? If so, you might have lost maybe 1/4 quart. That doesn't seem like a lot but I can attest that small amount could look like a disaster.

Btw, that oil filter is a pain in the ass to get to. I have long arms and I have trouble reaching it if the tire is not removed. I can see it being a problem for many people.

Screenshot_20220925-201412_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
robsafari

robsafari

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hopefully no harm done. Does this appear to be the level? If so, you might have lost maybe 1/4 quart. That doesn't seem like a lot but I can attest that small amount could look like a disaster.

Btw, that oil filter is a pain in the ass to get to. I have long arms and I have trouble reaching it if the tire is not removed. I can see it being a problem for many people.

Ford Bronco First oil change botched Screenshot_20220925-201412_Samsung Internet
Yes little more but basically around there. I'm thinking the oil filter might be the cause of the mess underneath tho which would be good news. Fingers crossed just forgot to clean up and filter is loose

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hello, just brought my BD in for the first oil change at my Ford dealer on Friday. Went to do some engine work and oil is all over the place. Underneath the hood all in the bay. It seems they may not have drained the original oil so I'm running twice the amount. Drove only for one day around town. Also seems like oil all around the crank shaft. Question is can I drive it and also do you think one day of driving has done engine damage? Would appreciate any advice as I'm panicking a bit. Thanks
Ford Bronco First oil change botched Screenshot_20220925-201412_Samsung Internet
I would think the cause could be the engine oil filler cap not secured at some point. Happened to me once, and got oil all over including spraying on the hood underside.

Also, the oil on the underside of the hood, seems a bit dark for newly changed oil. So I wonder when the issue actually occurred, had you looked in the bay recently, prior to the oil change?

Cokeman1959

Black Diamond
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Telluride
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hello, just brought my BD in for the first oil change at my Ford dealer on Friday. Went to do some engine work and oil is all over the place. Underneath the hood all in the bay. It seems they may not have drained the original oil so I'm running twice the amount. Drove only for one day around town. Also seems like oil all around the crank shaft. Question is can I drive it and also do you think one day of driving has done engine damage? Would appreciate any advice as I'm panicking a bit. Thanks
Had a similar incident with a 2014 corvette that I had taken in for its first oil change. It had the dry sump oil system and the chevrolet dealership failed to drain all the oil. It blew oil everywhere and shut the engine down. It was a total mess with oil in the throttle body etc. I would lean towards them coming and getting it. Hope it works out for you.

Sponsored

357Sig

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Fastback AND A 2014 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had the same thing happen with a Tundra. Tech forgot to drain the oil and double filled the engine. I drove it home and it seemed fine. Next morning it was billowing smoke ...I had the dealer tow the Truck to the shop and I insisted on seeing how much oil came out of the engine. Tech was being a pain, I asked how much does the his drain pan hold. Didn't answer so a sked for a tape measure and calculated the volume in front of him. Oil started to overflow at this point and I told him it was an 8 qt pan. His boss was standing there staring at him. Make sure they note this in your service record, in case you do have a problem with rings and such.

OP
OP
robsafari

robsafari

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would think the cause could be the engine oil filler cap not secured at some point. Happened to me once, and got oil all over including spraying on the hood underside.

Also, the oil on the underside of the hood, seems a bit dark for newly changed oil. So I wonder when the issue actually occurred, had you looked in the bay recently, prior to the oil change?
Yeah definitely wasn't there before I just detailed the outside and had it popped to do some drying

OP
OP
robsafari

robsafari

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had the same thing happen with a Tundra. Tech forgot to drain the oil and double filled the engine. I drove it home and it seemed fine. Next morning it was billowing smoke ...I had the dealer tow the Truck to the shop and I insisted on seeing how much oil came out of the engine. Tech was being a pain, I asked how much does the his drain pan hold. Didn't answer so a sked for a tape measure and calculated the volume in front of him. Oil started to overflow at this point and I told him it was an 8 qt pan. His boss was standing there staring at him. Make sure they note this in your service record, in case you do have a problem with rings and such.
Sorry to hear that but good on you for asking how much came out. I am getting it towed at their expense. But it's 30 minutes away and I'll be going to work while it's getting worked on. Let them wallow in their mistake for a bit. I will ask how much came out. Anything else I should ask because they're going to try and save themselves if it's bad. Probably not give me all the facts and I'm concerned most with the bottom of the car where when I touch I get oil all over my hand. Crank shaft or differential seal as someone previously mentioned
Sponsored