First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Like many I had this problem on all 4 doors to some degree, and on the rear left it was so bad I was afraid the window was going to break at some point. The problem is fixable and it’s not what you think. It has nothing to do with the speed of the window auto drop. The window doesn't drop until the door-ajar sensor is triggered, and at this point the door is already open! You can verify this by holding the door closed with one hand while pulling the latch with the other and slowly opening the door. The window doesn't drop until after the door is already open. Bottom line the window will never auto drop fast enough, and it’s not designed to. The problem is with the window alignment. The spec (service manual section 501-11 window glass adjustment) calls for 3mm of glass engagement into the rubber. Mine was over 6mm.

Using the procedure in the service manual, I adjusted to spec and they all work perfectly now, no more snagging! The weather stripping is designed to allow the window to easily slip out before the window drops. The procedure in the service manual is pretty good but missing one important step. Before loosening the two bolts to adjust the window, place a piece of tape at each side of the window (front and rear) even with the bottom seal. Use the tape as a reference when adjusting the window so you know where you are relative to the original position. Using this method, I was able to get the window within 0.5mm on the first try and 0.25mm on the 2nd try. It’s not difficult at all, and I recommend doing it yourself to make sure it’s done right. Use a digital caliper and take accurate measurements. Walmart sells one that is good enough for this job, or get a good machinist one online for $30.00. I spent several hours on the first door while learning, then breezed through the other three in about 45 minutes each. The door panels come off pretty easy, far easier than other vehicles I have worked on. Kudos to Ford for this!!This was really the only issue I had with the Bronco after 9 months, and I like it so much better now!

Ford Bronco FIXED!! Windows catching on weatherstripping when opening -- It's not what you think. IMG_20221211_105731951

Updated with helpful documents:

Do you have any links to the adjustment procedures you used?
Here you go. Be patient and you can fix it. Sucks we have to do this. My dealers attempt was laughable.

Rear window adjustment procedure:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/attachments/rear-window-adjustment-pdf.443478/

Window adjustment procedure:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/attachments/window-adjustment-pdf.443479/
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

atx_chance

Badlands
First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 1993 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for posting this, I’ve seen this topic discussed before but I’m hoping I can fix my 2 door window snag. I don’t know why Ford deserves kudos here though - they should have delivered these to us without the problem we’re having to fix!

OP
OP
broncobase1

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Search for Bronco Service Manual it is posted on this site. It is an an awesome resource to have. You want section 501-11 Window and Glass adjustment. There is a separate procedure for the front and rear windows (4 door), but they are very similar. Note when you remove the door panel there is a cable attached to the release handle. This can easily be removed by pressing on the tabs. When reattaching the cable, make sure the cable is in the correct position (I don't remember if it needs to be in the closed or open position, but it is important).

OP
OP
broncobase1

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for posting this, I’ve seen this topic discussed before but I’m hoping I can fix my 2 door window snag. I don’t know why Ford deserves kudos here though - they should have delivered these to us without the problem we’re having to fix!
The kudos was referring to the door trim panel removal. I agree it should have been right from the factory, especially considering this issue has been pointed out by professional reviewers. When adjusted properly it works like any other vehicle with frameless doors. I can see why this step might be skipped over by a production operator as it requires taking accurate measurements. Ford needs to make sure this is done by trained technicians and double checked. They also need to educate dealers, some have been replacing regulators (motor) and it has nothing to do with it. Applying the reference tape at the bottom of the window makes all the difference, learned this the hard way. The first window I must have readjusted and measured 10 times, very frustrating. With the tape you can get it the first or second time. You will know what I mean when you do the procedure. Don't settle for the +-2mm tolerance specified in the procedure, you can easily get it within 0.5mm. Yes the Bronco has some rough edges, but I still wouldn't trade it for anything. I just spent a week driving my sisters CRV, very happy to be back in the Bronco!

Sponsored

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Like many I had this problem on all 4 doors to some degree, and on the rear left it was so bad I was afraid the window was going to break at some point. The problem is fixable and it’s not what you think. It has nothing to do with the speed of the window auto drop. The window doesn't drop until the door-ajar sensor is triggered, and at this point the door is already open! You can verify this by holding the door closed with one hand while pulling the latch with the other and slowly opening the door. The window doesn't drop until after the door is already open. Bottom line the window will never auto drop fast enough, and it’s not designed to. The problem is with the window alignment. The spec (service manual section 501-11 window glass adjustment) calls for 3mm of glass engagement into the rubber. Mine was over 6mm.

Using the procedure in the service manual, I adjusted to spec and they all work perfectly now, no more snagging! The weather stripping is designed to allow the window to easily slip out before the window drops. The procedure in the service manual is pretty good but missing one important step. Before loosening the two bolts to adjust the window, place a piece of tape at each side of the window (front and rear) even with the bottom seal. Use the tape as a reference when adjusting the window so you know where you are relative to the original position. Using this method, I was able to get the window within 0.5mm on the first try and 0.25mm on the 2nd try. It’s not difficult at all, and I recommend doing it yourself to make sure it’s done right. Use a digital caliper and take accurate measurements. Walmart sells one that is good enough for this job, or get a good machinist one online for $30.00. I spent several hours on the first door while learning, then breezed through the other three in about 45 minutes each. The door panels come off pretty easy, far easier than other vehicles I have worked on. Kudos to Ford for this!!This was really the only issue I had with the Bronco after 9 months, and I like it so much better now!

Ford Bronco FIXED!! Windows catching on weatherstripping when opening -- It's not what you think. IMG_20221211_105731951
Can you possibly post this section of the service manual as I'm can't download it for some reason.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good work. I expected this thread to get more traction with so many people complaining about it. I've never had this issue so I knew it had to be an adjustment thing.

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Jeep Patriot, 06 BMW F650GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Had the issue with my right rear catching and decided to let the dealer take care. That was 6 months ago and it still hangs up just not as bad. Have downloaded the instructions and it is on my list to finish what they attempted.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Here you go. Be patient and you can fix it. Sucks we have to do this. My dealers attempt was laughable.

Attachments

Sponsored

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for posting it...man thats a lot of steps!!! Guess if we go slow it'll be more clear as we step through the process...

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thanks for posting it...man thats a lot of steps!!! Guess if we go slow it'll be more clear as we step through the process...
Ya. Gotta jump into the first one then it will make more sense. It’s not hard, more a pita. You will curse Fords shitty QC once you see how they should be.

OP
OP
broncobase1

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
The procedure makes it seem worse than it is. Once you remove the door panel its really just a matter of taking a couple measurements, adjust the window, and check the measurements again. This is where putting tape at the bottom seal as a reference really helps because you can get it really close the first attempt. You will know what I mean when you do the procedure. I typically performed two attempts because I was shooting for 0.25mm tolerance. Its not a bad job at all, and I'm glad I did it myself. Now I'm confident I can deal with any issue with the door or window. Don't do anything with the In/Out adjustment it should be fine, its only the up/down you need to adjust. Take your time on the first one. Once you have the procedure down it should take about 30 minutes for the others including removal and reinstallation of the door panel. Don't attempt using a tape measure or ruler, get digital calipers. It will also make it a lot easier.

OP
OP
broncobase1

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ya. Gotta jump into the first one then it will make more sense. It’s not hard, more a pita. You will curse Fords shitty QC once you see how they should be.
The good news is that its fixable and works great once the adjustment is in spec. I actually resigned myself that this is a design problem and something I would have to live with, thank goodness its not. Yes Ford need to get on this one because its really simple enough. They also need to make sure dealers know what the cause and solution is, some are replacing motors!!

Last edited:

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The procedure makes it seem worse than it is. Once you remove the door panel its really just a matter of taking a couple measurements, adjust the window, and check the measurements again. This is where putting tape at the bottom seal as a reference really helps because you can get it really close the first attempt. You will know what I mean when you do the procedure. I typically performed two attempts because I was shooting for 0.25mm tolerance. Its not a bad job at all, and I'm glad I did it myself. Now I'm confident I can deal with any issue with the door or window. Don't do anything with the In/Out adjustment it should be fine, its only the up/down you need to adjust. Take your time on the first one. Once you have the procedure down it should take about 30 minutes for the others including removal and reinstallation of the door panel. Don't attempt using a tape measure or ruler, get digital calipers. It will also make it a lot easier.
Yea I’m hoping so, but from what I’m gathering just reading your post you open up the door and place tape at the bottom where the window meets the weather stripping, close it up and once the window goes up you measure that gap you will now have between the tape and the weather stripping at the bottom right? Then adjust at the bottom of the door frame to bring it as close to 3.0mm as possible?
Sponsored