First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Monday at work I walked out to find my passenger side rear tire completely deflated on my 2022 Wildtrak. I have just shy of 22,000 miles on my Bronco and have been doing 5 tire rotation at every oil change since i got it back in January of 2022. I was able to take it into Ford and with my EasyCare Selcet+ coverage was able to get it replaced very easily.

My question for those of you who have more knowledge on the subject than i do is, how do i handle the new tire as far as my tire rotation goes? The service tech that I talked to recommended me that I go to a 4 tire rotation and then simply replace those 4 tires later on when they're worn out. I'd much rather maintain my 5 tire rotation in order to get more life out of the set I have, but is adding a brand new tire into the mix going to cause me more issues than its worth??
Ford Bronco Flat Tire/Rotation ??? unnamed
Sponsored

cashe3

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well, me personally, I would already have replaced the OEM GYs.

But for you ehh, 22k is a bit of wear and you could notice some difference in driving/handling with a new tire in the rotation. If you plan to keep the OEM tires for there full lifespan then add the new one in. If you notice a difference then put it back on the tailgate

If you plan to upgrade your tires then I would just run the 4 and get to the upgrade quicker.

Calm horse

Big Bend
First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 f150 king ranch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

IMO...I would probabky go to a 4 tire rotation.
You don't really get that much more out of doing 5 tire rotation...and also those good years suck anyway...they pick up gravel which either gets slung on to the vehicle or in my case the stone got stuck in the tread and ended up puncturing my tire

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would put the new one on the spare holder, and run a 4 tire rotation until the others wear out.

When you go to buy new tires if you stay with the same style you will only have to buy 4. If you switch out to a different style/ type. You have a brand new one to sell.

OP
OP
NKovo11

NKovo11

Wildtrak
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well, me personally, I would already have replaced the OEM GYs.

But for you ehh, 22k is a bit of wear and you could notice some difference in driving/handling with a new tire in the rotation. If you plan to keep the OEM tires for there full lifespan then add the new one in. If you notice a difference then put it back on the tailgate

If you plan to upgrade your tires then I would just run the 4 and get to the upgrade quicker.
to be honest I don't know much about tire options and never really put much thought into upgrading. I drive my Bronco as a daily driver and don't plan to do much more off-roading with it than driving over the occasional curb to get around an obstacle lol. Embarrassed to say it is very much a pavement princess. With that being said I never really saw a need to divert from the OEM GY's, perhaps i should rethink that

Sponsored

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

to be honest I don't know much about tire options and never really put much thought into upgrading. I drive my Bronco as a daily driver and don't plan to do much more off-roading with it than driving over the occasional curb to get around an obstacle lol. Embarrassed to say it is very much a pavement princess. With that being said I never really saw a need to divert from the OEM GY's, perhaps i should rethink that
The stock GY's get a bad rap. I find that they have excellent road manners.

While they may fling rocks, they also fling mud out of the treads better than the vaunted KO2's. Really helps with traction on high-speed, off-road runs.

cashe3

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

In that case, then just run a 4 tire rotation until these wear out.

The OEM are not bad road tires and they're already paid for. When it's time to replace them get 4 new ones and then go back to a 5 tire rotation or leave the one on the tailgate where it is cause it's just a spare.

No need to be embarrassed. I talk a good off road game, but mine is a daily driver too. Hoping the life schedule can slow down a bit and get in the dirt a little more.

TX-Dennis

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
With 22000 miles on the other tires, I think I'd put this one on the spare and go to 4 wheel rotation. You're halfway through the tread life. When you replace the other four you'll still have a new spare.

Edited to fix autocorrects.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NKovo11

NKovo11

Wildtrak
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
In that case, then just run a 4 tire rotation until these wear out.

The OEM are not bad road tires and they're already paid for. When it's time to replace them get 4 new ones and then go back to a 5 tire rotation or leave the one on the tailgate where it is cause it's just a spare.

No need to be embarrassed. I talk a good off road game, but mine is a daily driver too. Hoping the life schedule can slow down a bit and get in the dirt a little more.
I appreciate the advice, from you and everyone else commenting on the thread!

And agreed, i'd love to get the Bronco in the dirt too, but i can't seem to justify beating up the investment lol! I could barely handle seeing it with a flat tire on Monday, I couldn't imagine doing actual damage to it

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The stock GY's get a bad rap. I find that they have excellent road manners.

While they may fling rocks, they also fling mud out of the treads better than the vaunted KO2's. Really helps with traction on high-speed, off-road runs.
that's kindof an apples and oranges comparison, KO2 is an all terrain which none of are particularly good mud tires. I would counter with the goodyear duratrac works great in the mud and doesn't fling rocks like the territory does. The reality is the territory is the cheapest 315/70-17 out there and ford was probably looking to keep the price down on the sasquatch package add-on.

I really wish they had offered the goodyears or KO2s with the sasquatch, I would much prefer a quieter tire since I prefer to stay out of the mud.

OP- since you're at 22k, you can probably get away with just putting the new one on as a spare and then in a year or so when you replace the set, go back to a 5 tire rotation, or not.

Sponsored

cashe3

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's more about weight and rolling resistance. Same reason we have the autostop those pesky fed mpg regs.

Not saying cost isn't a factor too.

The reality is the territory is the cheapest 315/70-17 out there and ford was probably looking to keep the price down on the sasquatch package add-on.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OHHH… the tire was replaced and not just patched. Dang I’m thick-headend sometimes.

---

ANYWAY... as others have said, switch to a 4-tire.

I'll throw in some math to backup my answer just cause I'm bored as heck at work, and if I use Excel it still looks like I'm working:

5000x + 0 = (15000x/4) + 22000

Solve for X...
x = 17.6

It'll take ~18 oil changes before the tires match again. And by that point the tires will all have ~87,000 miles on them. Given the lifespan of these tires are to 50,000 miles max, maybe 60,000 miles if you push it... it just doesn't make sense. By the time you make the tires match it'll be beyond their lifespan anyway.

Ford Bronco Flat Tire/Rotation ??? 1686870186387

And this doesn't even account for the fact that you'll have a goofy mismatch-feeling ride for the next 30,000 miles until the tires wear to roughly the same level.

OP
OP
NKovo11

NKovo11

Wildtrak
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
OHHH… the tire was replaced and not just patched. Dang I’m thick-headend sometimes.

---

ANYWAY... as others have said, switch to a 4-tire.

I'll throw in some math to backup my answer just cause I'm bored as heck at work, and if I use Excel it still looks like I'm working:

5000x + 0 = (15000x/4) + 22000

Solve for X...
x = 17.6

It'll take ~18 oil changes before the tires match again. And by that point the tires will all have ~87,000 miles on them. Given the lifespan of these tires are to 50,000 miles max, maybe 60,000 miles if you push it... it just doesn't make sense. By the time you make the tires match it'll be beyond their lifespan anyway.

Ford Bronco Flat Tire/Rotation ??? 1686870186387

And this doesn't even account for the fact that you'll have a goofy mismatch-feeling ride for the next 30,000 miles until the tires wear to roughly the same level.
going above and beyond for the people, RagnarKon, i love it! Thank you!!
Sponsored