Sponsored

Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco?

Triceratops

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 speed Huffy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I like, looks almost like the eye bolts I put in.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? Hooked front 2

Triceratops

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 speed Huffy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like, looks almost like the eye bolts I put in.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? Hooked front 2
Looks good. I would just note that it looks like you welded your eyes closed. That’s a good idea. Lifting eyes should be a little bit better than just An eye bolt and mine screwed right into the threads. But same idea.

GunninGopher

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 OBX 4Door (wife's), 07 Silverado 2500 LTZ 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had an "oh yeah" moment when I was thinking things through the afternoon before we left on our trip, realizing that I hadn't worked out where to connect the cable. I picked up a 1' section of chain and a master link for each. I ran the chain through the loop under the tow bar connection. Not ideal because I'd rather not have the safety cable tie off to the same point as the tow bar, but it got us on the road.

I like the idea of using the crash bar mounts. We don't have a Sasquatch so we still have the it, whatever it is worth. I used the crash bar bolts to mount the 6 pin receptacle. Eventually we'll put some lights in the bumper and that will hide it better. My last toad had a plastic receptacle, and I was always fussing to get it in, so I installed a metal one this time. I might paint

The break-away mount's easily on one of the open bumper bolts. I found a nice hiding spot for it while not is use. Below the headlight behind the bumper is a depression that can hold it.

I really like the idea of using the crash bar mounts for the safety chain attachment. The eyelet looks like it could be subject to a lot of stress in an emergency. My wife wouldn't go for removing the crash bar so I'll need to think that over a little bit.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 2022-04-03 16.37.06
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 2022-04-05 10.43.14

Sponsored

GunninGopher

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I got word from Curt about the 58992.

The tech rep confirmed that the wiring harness does not work the the LED tail lights. He said it was due to some change by Ford. They are working on a revised harness. He also said that the pin swap shown will work.

Triceratops

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 speed Huffy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got word from Curt about the 58992.

The tech rep confirmed that the wiring harness does not work the the LED tail lights. He said it was due to some change by Ford. They are working on a revised harness. He also said that the pin swap shown will work.
There is not and has not ever been a change by Ford. Curt’s manufacturing does not even match the pin out diagram that their technical support sent me. They screwed up manufacturing and will not admit it. Pretty bad customer service. They still have not gotten back to me. Repinning the Mollex plugs isn’t difficult but they should give some instructions and not have people have to tinker to figure it out.

They are not redesigning so much as trying to manufacture to the original design.

Last edited:

GunninGopher

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There is not and has not ever been a change by Ford. Curt’s manufacturing does not even match the pin out diagram that their technical support sent me. They screwed up manufacturing and will not admit it. Pretty bad customer service. They still have not gotten back to me. Repinning the Mollex plugs isn’t difficult but they should give some instructions and not have people have to tinker to figure it out.

They are not redesigning so much as trying to manufacture to the original design.
I mostly agree with you but I did leave a couple things out that I should have shared. They did send me a document showing how to work with a Molex plug but the videos I saw were easier to follow, so I didn't share it. They offered to send me a replacement when ready.

They did not share anything that shows which pins to swap. Just referred to my telling them that the forums were saying pin 3 and 5 needed to be swapped. They simply confirmed that what I had shared was correct.

AGChevelle

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 XLT Super cab
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What wiring harness is being used to tie into brake lights and what else is needed for NON-LED brake lights

pbryan

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What wiring harness is being used to tie into brake lights and what else is needed for NON-LED brake lights
I'm adding aftermarket trailer tow hitch and 4-pin connector at the same time I'm adding the flat tow setup. My plan is to use the Curt trailer tow harness (56468) and do the re-pinning fix for the non-LED tail lights. See here:

Then I will use the Roadmaster 152 kit and splice the diodes and flat tow wire harness into the Curt hitch "T" harness. This will mean I don't have to cut & splice any factory wiring.
Roadmaster kit at e-trailer: https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiring/Roadmaster/RM-152.html

Parts just arrived today, plan to repin the Curt harness first and then work on splicing and install... hope to complete the whole thing in the next few weeks.

--Paul

Sponsored

GunninGopher

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Curt released one that they later said was for LED only but in actuality didn't work with any of them. They recently told me that they were working on a new one. I wouldn't buy one now. If you are in a bind and can't wait, it isn't hard to splice in your your own diodes if you know how to do the electrical work and find the correct wires.

If you have time to wait and don't want to do it yourself, keep an eye on Curt's website for an updated product.

I wish I had done without a harness this time. I've done it before. Fiddling with the plugs in the Bronco a bunch and repinning the harness has messed my brake lights up, even when I remove the harness plugs. I'm going to try to sort it out this weekend. I'm hoping it is just a loose wire in the OEM plug.

This whole thing with the harness has been really frustrating. My wife is very fastidious about her vehicles and if she finds out one of her brake lights is out she is going to add to an already stressful situation for me.

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco (sold), '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a trip to Moab in 2 weeks and im rednecking it for now
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? PXL_20220408_142149398~2
Looks perfect. You could sell it after your done... or use it in the campfire.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm adding aftermarket trailer tow hitch and 4-pin connector at the same time I'm adding the flat tow setup. My plan is to use the Curt trailer tow harness (56468) and do the re-pinning fix for the non-LED tail lights. See here:

Then I will use the Roadmaster 152 kit and splice the diodes and flat tow wire harness into the Curt hitch "T" harness. This will mean I don't have to cut & splice any factory wiring.
Roadmaster kit at e-trailer: https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiring/Roadmaster/RM-152.html

Parts just arrived today, plan to repin the Curt harness first and then work on splicing and install... hope to complete the whole thing in the next few weeks.

--Paul
Let me know how this comes out, I've considered it but have stayed away from the wiring since I did the Curt 4 pin pin switch and it was about the max of my ability.

In the mean time I built a set of clamp on auxiliary lights from aluminum angle and led strips that clamp low behind the spare on the spare tire spacers. You can see them in this photo, they work well.
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 20220225_125644

pbryan

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Let me know how this comes out, I've considered it but have stayed away from the wiring since I did the Curt 4 pin pin switch and it was about the max of my ability.

In the mean time I built a set of clamp on auxiliary lights from aluminum angle and led strips that clamp low behind the spare on the spare tire spacers. You can see them in this photo, they work well.
That actually looks pretty slick for add-on lights... Much better than you usually see.

I swapped the pins and spliced in the diodes this afternoon... maybe the weather will allow the rest of the install this weekend.

It wasn't hard, just cut the wires going to pin 2 (running lights) and pin 3 (brake/turn) between the lamp connector and the splices going to the trailer plug controller, and crimped on the connectors that come with the diode wiring kit. I do have a ratcheting crimp tool, which makes that job a bit easier. The fact that I could do it with the harness on the table in front of me and not in some hard to reach position with wires that are too short is a big help too... (If you haven't tried splicing to the upfitter wires behind the glove box, those are fun)
Sponsored