Sponsored

Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco?

bb12489

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco OBX 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey all. I'm a very new Bronco owner, having just took delivery a week ago, as well as being very new to flat towing. Wondering what I'm going to need for my 2.3 OBX.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? PXL_20231004_012049253
Sponsored

Jmoffroad66

Wildtrak
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I also had the read
I'm planning on towing my Bronco whenever it gets here. We currently tow a 2019 Jeep
Wrangler. We use a Ready Brute Elite II tow bar with surge braking and a Blue Ox base plate installed on the Jeep. So I just need a new base plate and the Emergency Brake Away Kit for the Bronco. Not sure when Blue Ox will have a base plate ready but I'll let them know they can use mine to measure if needed.

This is what we spent

Order Summary​
ITEM DESC​
QUANTITY​
TOTAL​
Ready Brute Elite II
Baseplate Clevis Connector: Blue OX
1​
$1,359.50​
Blue Ox Baseplate
Baseplate #: BX1139
1​
$450.00​
ReadyStop™ Towed Vehicle Emergency Break Away Kit
SKU: RS-5000 857768004166
1​
$120.95​
Subtotal​
$1,930.45
Shipping - Free Shipping on Orders $100+​
$0.00
Tax (US)​
$0.00
TOTAL
$1,930.45
i also used the ready brute on our wrangler and transferred it over to the bronco. Really simple. No base plate needed. Used the factory tow rings on the bronco and added frame tie ins from LODoffroad.com. Had pins made to attach the clevises to the tow rings from NSA RV who sells the ready brute

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I use a Roadmaster Nighthawk all terrain tow bar (~$1150 Roadmaster Nighthawk All-Terrain Tow Bar w/ LED Lights - Non-Binding - RV Mount - 8,000 lbs Roadmaster Tow Bar RM-676 (etrailer.com) with the Roadmaster 035-1 bumper adaptor (~$140 Adapter for Extended D-Ring Bumper Mounts to Roadmaster Motor Home Mount Tow Bars - 1" Thick Roadmaster Base Plates RM65FR (etrailer.com) ). No baseplate required for the modular bumper or aftermarket bumper with 1" towing holes. I also used the Curt vehicle specific towed vehicle wiring harness (~$94 from Amazon Amazon.com: CURT 58992 Custom Towed-Vehicle RV Wiring Harness for Dinghy Towing, Fits Select Ford Bronco, Black : Automotive ), two versions available, one for LED tail lights and the other for non-LED tail lights (like my Black Diamond) so make sure to get the correct one.
You'll need an auxiliary braking system. My RV has air brakes so I installed the Demco Air Force One which is a permanent install. Demco makes a permanent install Stay-In-Play Duo for non-air braked RVs. There are many other good choices out there for permanently installed systems or removable units that you place between the driver seat and the brake pedal. Most are in the $1200-$1600 range plus installation. If you go with an electrically actuated system (which use the Bronco battery for power), you should consider a Towed Vehicle Battery charger that takes 12V from the RV 7 pin connector (center pin of the 6 pin TOAD umbilical end) and charges the TOAD battery while you are driving. I'm using the Brake Buddy Battery charger ($30 from Brake Buddy Towed Vehicle Battery Charger | Brake Buddy® )

I also use a TST Tire pressure monitoring system for the RV and TOAD (~$450 for readout and 6 RV sensors plus ~$211 for 4 TOAD sensors TST TPMS for RVs - Color Display - Signal Booster - 6 Flow Through Tire Sensors TST TPMS Sensor TST-507-FT-6-C (etrailer.com) .

RVI RVibrake3 Portable Braking System for flat towing | RVi3 makes a nice system that includes braking system, battery charger (optional) and tire pressure monitoring system (optional) all with one nice readout but I had some of the other components and didn't want to spend the money on the RVI system to replace components I already had. If you are starting from scratch, the RVI system cost may be in line with some of the other systems.

I'm not familiar with the Blue Ox system but it may be more economical for the braking system but a little more expensive on the tow bar side. Curt also makes a tow bar that might work as well. I just returned from a 5,000 mile trip with my Roadmaster towbar/ Demco braking system and it worked great.

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here they are:

LoD Offroad | LoD Offroad 2021+ Bronco BLACK OPS Front Bumper Frame Tie In Brackets

I read on the forums about someone damaging their frame horns while winching using the Rough Country winch, so I added these as insurance and as a way to attach my safety cables using quick links. Only issue is that I had to cut a small notch in my bash guard to make them fit. Was fairly easy with my angle grinder.
I received the LOD front bumper frame tie in brackets. The instructions don't say anything about what has to be removed for installation. Did you have to remove the front bumper and skid plate? I have the Black Diamond with Modular Front Bumper, I think the same as your Badlands. I don't want to take more apart than I need to and don't want to take too little apart for the installation:) You also said you had to grind/cut the skid plate, I'm assuming that is for the link you have hanging down from the LOD bracket. What is the link you used so that you can hook the safety cables. I have the Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar and appear to have the same setup that you do so I'm trying to duplicate your good work!

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I received the LOD front bumper frame tie in brackets. The instructions don't say anything about what has to be removed for installation. Did you have to remove the front bumper and skid plate? I have the Black Diamond with Modular Front Bumper, I think the same as your Badlands. I don't want to take more apart than I need to and don't want to take too little apart for the installation:) You also said you had to grind/cut the skid plate, I'm assuming that is for the link you have hanging down from the LOD bracket. What is the link you used so that you can hook the safety cables. I have the Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar and appear to have the same setup that you do so I'm trying to duplicate your good work!
OBX with Modular Bumper, you have to remove the bumper and front skid plate. There are a couple of holes that have to be drilled. As I did not need the lower loops on the brackets I cut them off and did not have to cut the skid plate. Watch the clearness on the brackets when you put the bumper back on.

Sponsored

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OBX with Modular Bumper, you have to remove the bumper and front skid plate. There are a couple of holes that have to be drilled. As I did not need the lower loops on the brackets I cut them off and did not have to cut the skid plate. Watch the clearness on the brackets when you put the bumper back on.
Thanks, just wanted to know if I need some help with the bumper and how much time to allocate.

yourbudjim

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Soft-top High Package
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, I removed the bumper and skid plate as drilling would've been impossible and I was installing the winch at the same time. It's not that painful and you could be finish in a couple hours if you have a helper to lift the bumper off and then back on.

Big Lowery

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I’m curious I purchased a motorhome. The guy I got it from gave me his Roadmaster Falcon 5250 tow bar and his brake master pedal. What all do I need to do to get the brake master working in the Bronco? I know I have to figure out the lights. But what do I need ran to the Bronco for the brake master? Also I have the Steel capable bumper is there a way I can use the DRings that come on it?

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? IMG_7899

I don't have air force one. I have the Roadmaster BrakeMaster system.

Perhaps you meant to quote somebody else?

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I’m curious I purchased a motorhome. The guy I got it from gave me his Roadmaster Falcon 5250 tow bar and his brake master pedal. What all do I need to do to get the brake master working in the Bronco? I know I have to figure out the lights. But what do I need ran to the Bronco for the brake master? Also I have the Steel capable bumper is there a way I can use the DRings that come on it?

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? IMG_7899
No you cannot use the capable bumper d-rings look at post "791 in this thread. You well need a set of Roadmaster 35-1 adapters.

Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
yes so i have to change the drings for the aftermarket tow hooks?
Yes, there is not any way to attach a tow bar to the drings.
The other option is to have a base plate from Roadmaster installed.

Big Lowery

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay thanks for the heads up. I just ordered the tow hooks.

Yes, there is not any way to attach a tow bar to the drings.
The other option is to have a base plate from Roadmaster installed.
Sponsored