First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I thought I’d share my experience with flat towing my new Bronco. About 4 months ago we did a National parks trip. We were flat towing the bronco behind my F350 with a truck camper on it.
Half way through our trip in South Dakota I went to unhitch the bronco and started it. Immediately the fan kicked on, the dash lit up, the trans temp was at 330 degrees. The transmission was fried. And at this point not sure what else was damaged.
Up until this point I had put the vehicle into flat tow mode several times and had towed it a couple thousand miles from home with no issues. I had no idea what went wrong.
So we decided to transport it home back to Oregon and continue on our trip.
It’s currently at its third dealership and hopefully will be repaired soon. It’s needs a new transmission, transfer case, and oil cooler. $9800 with labor. I’ve been fighting with ford because I feel I did everything correctly but they are denying my warranty claim. Apparently if your transmission fails while flat towing it’s not covered. I’m pretty disappointed with Ford right now. A big reason for choosing the bronco was the ability to flat tow. But I’m scared to ever do it again.
I know I’m not the only one here that’s had this issue.
Sponsored

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lots of people on here had the same experience... maybe take all of those in with you to help you fight your case

BlueWaffle

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco, and a trio of 80s GM's.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Lots of people on here had the same experience... maybe take all of those in with you to help you fight your case
People here AND on the 5g ranger forum...

Really shitty setup by ford.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Man, about the time I think MIC tops quit delamming, or 2.7's quit blowing up, or flat tow trannies stop toasting here comes another. :( Sorry man

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

G6Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
same thing happened to me, i posted back in August 2023. For was HAPPY to have me EAT $6,800.00 of their BAD engineering. We are in the process of filing suit under Magnuson/moss [lemon law]. I have been a ford owner for 40+ years and could not be more frustrated, disappointed disgusted with ford and its "customer care" philosophy. I do wish you well but I have no hope in you getting satisfaction from ford. The worst part is they, Ford, couldn't care LE$$.

Last edited:

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@Ford Motor Company
i got the “System off to save battery“ message today on my 2023 OBX with Advanced 4WD. (It had been parked for about 5 days)
I noticed that the transfer case mode had switched itself from 4A (which I always leave it in during snowy weather) into 2H.

While this isn’t a big deal as a daily driver, it would be catastrophic if I were flat towing - for the transfer case to shift itself back to 2H in the event of low voltage, etc.!!! That would certainly explain some “mysterious“ contested transfer case and/or transmission failures when flat towing (recreational towing).

Sponsored

gweberg29

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
HOPE SOMEONE FINDS THIS HELPFUL - I WILL POST ON ALL THREADS BELOW - WORK IN PROGRESS

Flat Tow Transmission Failures – as of 02/22/23 – A work in progress – May have missed someone

Thread 1 – (06/03/22) Bronco won’t go back to drive after disengaging tow [2] – Checked 01/18/23

Thread 2 – (10/28/22) Neutral Tow / Transmission Problem [12] – Need to go back through – Long tread

Thread 3 – (07/09/23) Ford claims flat towing our 4 mo. old Bronco destroyed the transmission (not covering under warranty [14] – Need to go back through – Long tread

Thread 4 – (08/08/23) Flat tow won’t disengage [1] – Checked 01/18/23

Thread 5 – (08/16/23) Flat tow failure [3] – Checked 01/18/23

Thread 6 - (11/18/23) Flat tow failure (2) [1] – Checked 01/18/2

Thread 7 – (08/28/23) Bronco Raptor Transmission Troubles Anyone? [3] – Checked 01/18/23

----------------------------------------------------------

1) @Rgarrison58 – Thread 1 – 6/3/22 – Transmission Failure – Ford WILL cover

2) @Bad Sas – Thread 2 – 10/28/22 – Transmission issue – No resolution posted

3) @Blue Bulldog – Thread 2 – 4/12/23 – Transmission failed – Ford will NOT cover - Suing

4) @GddyupGG – Thread 1/2 – 4/19/23 – Transmission failed – Ford will NOT cover – Insurance WILL cover

5) @G6Bronco – Thread 4/5/3 – (08/16/23) – Transmission failed – Ford will NOT cover – Hired attorneys

6) @Bukin67 – Thread 7 – (08/28/23 – Transmission failed – Ford will NOT cover

7) @aknavy – Thread 2 – (08/21/23) – Transmission failed – Ford DID cover

8) @Lisa Aiudi – Thread 3 – (09/09/23 – Transmission failure – Ford will NOT cover

9) @delynn.gibson – Thread 4 – (09/21/23) – Stuck in tow mode – Trase electric motor failed – Ford will cover

10) @Peter Cole – Thread 6 – (11/18/23) – Transmission, Tcase, Oil cooler failed, Ford will NOT cover

G6Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought I’d share my experience with flat towing my new Bronco. About 4 months ago we did a National parks trip. We were flat towing the bronco behind my F350 with a truck camper on it.
Half way through our trip in South Dakota I went to unhitch the bronco and started it. Immediately the fan kicked on, the dash lit up, the trans temp was at 330 degrees. The transmission was fried. And at this point not sure what else was damaged.
Up until this point I had put the vehicle into flat tow mode several times and had towed it a couple thousand miles from home with no issues. I had no idea what went wrong.
So we decided to transport it home back to Oregon and continue on our trip.
It’s currently at its third dealership and hopefully will be repaired soon. It’s needs a new transmission, transfer case, and oil cooler. $9800 with labor. I’ve been fighting with ford because I feel I did everything correctly but they are denying my warranty claim. Apparently if your transmission fails while flat towing it’s not covered. I’m pretty disappointed with Ford right now. A big reason for choosing the bronco was the ability to flat tow. But I’m scared to ever do it again.
I know I’m not the only one here that’s had this issue.
happened to a bunch of us. Same story, ruined transmission, vacation, built ford tough means tough to warrant. VERY UNHAPPY WITH FORD. they need a class action filed. perhaps when it get to the hundreds of cases something positive will happen.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Will people never learn?
Learn what? That Ford refuses to admit that have a problem and fix it and warranty the failed transmissions?

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

All the flat-tow related trans failures that I’m aware of were equipped with the Advanced 4WD system. (4A on the selector). Use that information in court.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
When flat towing my old '65 Mustang with C4 auto trans, to avoid possible issues when going longer distance, I usually unbolted the rear driveshaft where it mated to the diff and tied it up. Given all the Bronco flat tow issues, I'd probably do something like that to be on the safe side.

On a related note, I wonder how well these driveshaft disconnect kits work? Apparently some people use them to flat tow otherwise untowable vehicles. Not sure I'd want to count on the assembly holding up off-road though.

Ford Bronco Flat tow failure driveshaft-disconnect
Sponsored