Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ok cool. The other size you could maybe consider is the 255/80r17 pizza cutter.
I am for my steelies. 255/85R17 Mickey T's Baja Boss.

But I have a voucher for a free set of General Grabber X3s (any size). They don't come in a pizza cutter. I prefer a tall/skinny tire. So I have to buy a new set of wheels to accommodate the X3s. I'll rotate the sets depending on usage and save the X3s for offroad use (mainly).
Sponsored

Reactions: JZZ
First Name
Clarke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
After 9+ mos of waiting on Ford, I finally was able to purchase and install the new Ford Performance Shocks for non-SAS Broncos. The shocks are marketed as "...uniquely tuned and tested by Ford Performance Engineering to optimize ride and performance both Off- and On-Road" as well as "Approximately 2" of lift results in optimal ground clearance and approach/departure angles", and finally "Direct bolt-in replacement suspension package, improving both ride quality and stance of vehicle." The 2" of lift is right about where I wanted to get to as a non-SAS OBX model.

Even though they're bolt-on replacements, as a result of the 3 yr/36k warranty if installed by an ASE technician I took them to a local overlanding garage who did the install. Unfortunately I didn't take specific measurements on ground clearance before the install but the technician stated he measured 2". I think it's apparent from the pictures that is probably accurate, but I can take some after measurements if someone can provide a non-SAS OBX with stock Badlands wheels/tires starting measurements to compare with. Here is a before/after (the photo dimensions aren't perfect), but it should illustrate the difference in height and stance.

Bronco_Before-After.jpg

Takeaways after 4-5 days of driving:

• Very happy with the on-road ride quality up to this point. The shocks seemed a little stiff straight out of the garage parking lot but I think they've broken-in quickly. My understanding based on the forum is OBX had the "softest" suspension of all the models so I don't necessarily think these new Ford Performance shocks are softer but they do seem to handle bumps more confidently with the huge 2.65" mono-tube.
  • Love the amount of lift and the improved stance. Seems like it's lost the stock rake but I need to get under there and measure more specifically. I think the stock Badland 17s/33s now seem a little small for the lift and 35s will be in order when I replace the tires (which I should be able to support with 4.27 gearing), but I think the look is somewhat exaggerated because I am running the Ford after-market steel fenders that don't have any lip on them so there's more visibility into the wheel-well. I'll switch back to the painted fenders in the Spring.
  • I haven't been able to take it off-road but I'm confident they're going to be noticeably superior to the stock OBX along with the improved clearance/angles.
I do think the information online for these shocks is lacking at this point - I'd love to understand more in terms of how much travel these have, etc. but all we seem to have is the Ford Performance marketing website info. I was going to call the Ford Performance line and ask for more details but haven't been able to yet. If anyone has more technical details they can share I'd love to see them.

If there are additional pictures or measurements anyone would like to me to provide just let me know. I'm travelling for work over the next few days but I'm sure by the weekend I could provide some updates.

Bronco7.jpg

Shocks.jpg
Looks Great! Are the front and rear axles still centered after the lift without a new trackbar?

OP
OP
azuano3654

azuano3654

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looks Great! Are the front and rear axles still centered after the lift without a new trackbar?
I haven't measured that specifically but with these designed/tuned by Ford Performance specifically for non-SAS Broncos and there was no trackbar requirement I feel pretty safe saying yes.

First Name
Clarke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I haven't measured that specifically but with these designed/tuned by Ford Performance specifically for non-SAS Broncos and there was no trackbar requirement I feel pretty safe saying yes.
Yeah that's my thoughts too probably. thanks.

Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I called two dealerships and they want $1500.00 to install. 5 hour labor front and 3 hour labor rear. This is nuts. It’s basically a plug and play install.
Any guesses on what something like this should cost to install?

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Panda Motorworks charged me $940 to install Eibach Pro Truck 2.0 Coilovers, swap the front springs to heavy duty springs, install Zone UCAs, and do a full alignment

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I received a quote from a local shop for $900. My Ford dealer charged a little over $900. I earned FP points and the dealer picked up and delivered my Bronco whereas I would have had to drop off my Bronco at the local shop and pay for an Uber to get home and pick it up when done. Ford dealer also installed the RockJock trackbar relocation bracket and rear shock skids at the same time for no additional cost. Local shop would have charged additional.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I called two dealerships and they want $1500.00 to install. 5 hour labor front and 3 hour labor rear. This is nuts. It’s basically a plug and play install.
Han's labor isn't cheap, ya feel me?

If it is so plug n play, save the money and do it yourself.

Sponsored
First Name
Clarke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
My Dealer wants $5800 CAD for the lift kit and the install lol. I really wanted to get this but that's too much money for me so I think I'll pass. :(

Big Swede

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My Dealer wants $5800 CAD for the lift kit and the install lol. I really wanted to get this but that's too much money for me so I think I'll pass. :(
That's crazy. I would shop around for a install shop. Luckily I have a shop down the road from me. They installed my Truck lift for about $700. Hoping they will do the same on these.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@azuano3654 now that you have had these on for quite a while any long term updates?

OP
OP
azuano3654

azuano3654

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Long term update from me is that I'm very happy/satisfied with these shocks. They've performed extremely well in all environments. Most of the time I'm on paved roads where they provide a great rider but I also did the multi-day White Rim trail in Canyonlands Nation Park last Spring which is mostly over bumpy rock and they were great. I'm excited to move from 33" to 35" tires in the next year or 2 with this setup to make it look even better aesthetically as well as for off-road performance. I think they're the ideal solution for any non-Sasquatch Bronco to get your lift up to above Sasquatch levels with improved rake and improved performance over the Sasquatch Bilsteins.