First Name
Mando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4DR 2.3L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the OEM look of the Ford Product.

The photo shows a very clean and professional installation, whether that's the suggested installation, or Helomech73 did a very good job of installing it.

Then there's fact of it being a Ford Product, that later, God forbid, I ever have any issue(s), the Dealer can't instantly blame it on an aftermarket product.

I wonder if the Ford 2.3L Engine Cover from the Ranger, which I have installed on my BD, would interfere w/the fit here.

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG
It fits with the cover!
I like the OEM look of the Ford Product.

The photo shows a very clean and professional installation, whether that's the suggested installation, or Helomech73 did a very good job of installing it.

Then there's fact of it being a Ford Product, that later, God forbid, I ever have any issue(s), the Dealer can't instantly blame it on an aftermarket product.

I wonder if the Ford 2.3L Engine Cover from the Ranger, which I have installed on my BD, would interfere w/the fit here.

Ford Bronco Ford Performance Air/Oil Separator IMG_0456.JPG

Ford Bronco Ford Performance Air/Oil Separator IMG_0458.JPG
it fits!
Ford Bronco Ford Performance Air/Oil Separator IMG_0050
Ford Bronco Ford Performance Air/Oil Separator IMG_0051

GoHack

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Draw your on conclusions šŸ¤  .
These are just guesses on my part.

What exactly is the carbon build up from?

1) Oil leakage via. worn out valve seals, which at around 100K miles, could be an issue? That and the fact there's no fuel to wash the oil off?
2) The light oil used in many vehicles now-a-days, making it easier to get past the valve seals?
3) Crappy fuel?
4) Doing shorties around town, not allowing the engine to get up to its normal operating temperature?

Possible cures?

1) Replace the valve seals?
2) Use a heavier oil, like a 5W-30.
Use a good 100% Synthetic Oil?
3) Use a good Tier 3 Fuel like Chevron?
4) Quite doing shorties around town? Take the vehicle on the highway and get the engine up to its normal operating temperature, especially in the winter.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

End of summer is near, awaiting RagnarKon's report!
Fall is here! And I have the results:

Needless to say... I was a bit confused, and not in a good way.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, nada on the FP can!
Yeah... I expected a least an oil mist or sheen or something.

Obviously I have to keep the FP catch can on the Bronco since I had to destroy the original factory hose during the install. I'll check it again after winter to see if colder weather changes anything. If it does in any meaningful way then I'll post an update.

But for now... money best spent elsewhere.

Wilbur's son

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Obviously I have to keep the FP catch can on the Bronco since I had to destroy the original factory hose during the install. I'll check it again after winter to see if colder weather changes anything. If it does in any meaningful way then I'll post an update.

something. That is right. Before I installed my separator, I went ahead and ordered the $20 consumable vent tube to hedge the situation. Like you, see what winter brings. I did notice when I drove from KS to Buena Vista, Colorado back in July, I was pulling a constant 4-5+ psi for hours on end while driving 80 mph on I-70. Don't know if that would do enough of what you describe about the airflow from the valve cover.

fitterhappier

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I did have a little bit in mine right before my oil change. More than a sheen but less than substantial liquid. I do drive like an idiot around town though, so that may have had something to do with it.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Iā€™m about to install the FP version on my Ranger. Iā€™ll report back in a few months.

I canā€™t believe they changed the location of the PCV/Intake ports on the Bronco mid-2021. Any insight on why they did that? Any other differences? The UPR install was miserable reaching in blindly battling those hose fittings. I hated that.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

4) Quite doing shorties around town? Take the vehicle on the highway and get the engine up to its normal operating temperature, especially in the winter.
Simple in theory, difficult in real-world practice.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™m about to install the FP version on my Ranger. Iā€™ll report back in a few months.

I canā€™t believe they changed the location of the PCV/Intake ports on the Bronco mid-2021. Any insight on why they did that? Any other differences? The UPR install was miserable reaching in blindly battling those hose fittings. I hated that.
They say the PCV/intake port locations were changed mid-2021...not sure who "they" is but my '21 was built in December 2021 and they are in the same location as the early'21s. What a PIA!

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't know @RagnarKon. I only have the FP catch can and was changing my oil yesterday. I installed it less than 500 miles ago and it had some oil in it. Not much, maybe what 3 or 4 drips would be. You may have not got any because of your other catch can like you thought. It very well may be money well spent if it is your only catch can.

I will post my findings with pictures next oil change.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know @RagnarKon. I only have the FP catch can and was changing my oil yesterday. I installed it less than 500 miles ago and it had some oil in it. Not much, maybe what 3 or 4 drips would be. You may have not got any because of your other catch can like you thought. It very well may be money well spent if it is your only catch can.

I will post my findings with pictures next oil change.
That would make sense if the FP catch can was "downstream" of the other catch can... but it's not. Two completely separate paths out of the engine. Maybe though??? Admittedly I don't know a ton about the physics behind the airflow, so just trying to think about it logically.

I'm sure there are a lot of factors that go into itā€”driving habits is probably the most important one, so we may just have very different driving styles. But yes, I'd be curious to know what you get when you change the oil.

M7 23

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That would make sense if the FP catch can was "downstream" of the other catch can... but it's not. Two completely separate paths out of the engine. Maybe though??? Admittedly I don't know a ton about the physics behind the airflow, so just trying to think about it logically.

I'm sure there are a lot of factors that go into itā€”driving habits is probably the most important one, so we may just have very different driving styles. But yes, I'd be curious to know what you get when you change the oil.
I ran FP only for the last 1k miles and had what I would call a light mist only in mine. More of a fuel/oil odor than anything else. In light of that, I just added the UPR catch can so also running both nowā€¦figured it can only help (maybe), and canā€™t hurt anything.

Tripodbruno

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma(no more) F-250, Hiker Trailer, Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Installed the Ford Performance separator at around 3000 miles (two weeks ago.) No oil changes, no issues since purchase. Few days later left on a week long cross country road trip from Colorado to Tennessee (Nashville, Smokies, Gatlinburg, Windrock, Dollywood!) Almost exactly 3000 miles round trip. Completed first oil change today ~6140 miles(original plan was to do the change at 5k-trip plans got in the way.) Emptied can which had between 1-2 oz of oil collected and same color and viscosity as the oil pan. No water or separation. I should have taken pictures and measured exact but didnā€™t. I will do another oil change at 10K and check the can again.

on the trip I ran premium the entire way and over the 3000 miles experience 17.5 mpg exact- based on pump. At home I have usually been hovering around 19.5. On the trip I had four peopleoff road gear and all our luggage in a Thule box.

The install on the can was easy but one of the vacuum line clips broke on reinstall- replaced with a zip tie.

FYI- 2 door was more than comfortable and fine for a family of 4. Kids are 9 & 11. Just wish the rear seats were heated and there were betterAC vents to the rear.

Ford Bronco Ford Performance Air/Oil Separator IMG_0314
Sponsored