Sponsored

@Ford Why is my days-old BD so rusty underneath?

Gotchaa

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Mine was also received with the Michigan rust, they sit in a train yard, ride on to load up and this time of year it’s going to get rusted. In typical bone dry California I have not seen one Bronco without it. Service engineers also shared it’s one all of them. Doesn’t make it feel right. But if you are worried about there are ways to get rid and coat it.
Sponsored

Doc TOC

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition Max, Fusion Hybrid, HD Road King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't blame you for being upset and venting. You're not the first person on this forum to point it out. It was a lot more prevalent in late 22 and early 23 when a lot of Broncos were stored waiting on parts.

It's not likely to cause damage down the road, as long as you coat it. Any rust converter and sealant will do the job. Home Depot has several, including Corroseal. Take pictures as you go, in case it does become a problem. Remember to turn on your time/date stamp on the photos.

Does it suck to have to do this. Definitely. That wasn't on my mod list either.
I fixed it, got over it, and have moved on to having a good time.

OP
OP
Fordified1

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Generally had a bad day and chose this to vent about since I saw someone comment about rust in another thread. The tire shop slightly bent one of my new wheels today and said it was already bent. Now I’ll have to miss some work to talk to a manager next week. Or just suck it up and make that one my spare.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It had about 30 miles on it when it got to the dealership. It’s a small dealership and my salesman made sure nobody went for test rides but me.
My 2021 showed up in Texas with the very same "Ford Quality Patina". Luckiy, it seemed to be primarily the driveshafts and not much else. Still it's a shitty look on a brand new $50k vehicle. I also was at the dealership within 2 hours of drop off and under 40 miles on the odometer. The amount of dirt on the vehicle was shameful (even after the pre-sale inspection wash) that I made them wash it again (it still had dirt - I decided not to waste any more time there).

Don't expect it to be any better than that. Still, that pitting is not right, but unfortunately normal. My driveshaft (front) was replaced under warranty for a boot failure. If it makes you feel better, I have 90k miles on mine with 0 days of downtime for repairs (driveshaft was just a few hours). It otherwise is still looking newish (but dirty).

IMG_20240213_151527403.jpg

IMG_20240213_151831538.jpg

Last edited:

HP11

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302 (sold) , 2023 Ford Bronco WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I noticed the same corrosion on my 23 except the corrosion was ONLY on the front passenger driveshaft. The drivers side driveshaft as well as the rest of the undercarriage was pristine.

Sponsored

Summit981

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman, MINI GP2, MINI Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Feel your pain. I used to live in San Antonio so I sympathize with why anything would rust down there (except if you live on the Gulf). Simply, your Undercarriage components will continue to rust because 1) they’re probably made of pot metal; and 2) factory coatings are woefully inadequate. Don’t even get me started on Ford paint. If you want the best factory designed and applied anti-rust protection out there then, well, you buy a Grenadier. I have a 2022 Badlands and knew going in that rust will always be an issue. (I previously had to deal with hood rust bubbling up under the paint on my wife’s new Explorer.) When I took delivery, I bought a Waxoyl anti-rust treatment kit from Rovers North up in Vermont and on a hot summers day, applied the two stage application in and under the frame, body panels…. basically all undercarriage surfaces that weren’t mechanical, brakes, exhaust or embedded with sensors. It’s just what you do if you want to extend the life of the Bronco… especially here in Maryland where I have salted/brined winter roads and it’s exposed to the humid salty air of the Atlantic traveling in/around the Eastern Shore and down south on the Outer Banks.

STLDAVE

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It had about 30 miles on it when it got to the dealership. It’s a small dealership and my salesman made sure nobody went for test rides but me.
Most new cars arrive at the dealer with less than 15 miles on them, so I'd be suspicious. I bought a car off the showroom floor a couple years ago that only had 9 miles on it. I left it there so they could install a different mirror. When I picked it up the next day it had 20 miles on it. Everyone at the dealership swears up and down they only took it to the gas station 1/2 mile down the road to fill it up. Don't trust anyone at a dealer.

gwp

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Crawled under to look at mounting my new transmission skid plate and noticed this. I’m in South Texas and the truck had less than 100 miles when these pictures were taken 1 day after purchase. I haven’t had time to crawl around under it more to look for more rust, But where I live rust is unusual,
please leave that crap in Michigan.
Just to be safe I drove my Bronco through some salt water at the beach shortly after delivery. And I never crawl underneath as I’d rather be surprised when pieces fall off.

cat69man

Wildtrak
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4Dr. Bronco Sasquatch, 2022 Roadglide Limited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

ByrdDogX has probably hit the nail. They test drove it in winter. My baby was delivered in March 2022 and it had salt crystals and the same rust on the driveshaft and axles.

Sponsored

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have to say, this thread is ridiculous. Bare metal will rust. Driveshafts and axle shafts are bare metal. And guess what, there is ZERO risk they will rust through or be affected by that surface rust. Take a big ole chill pill.

If you want to protect your frame and non-moving parts from rust, get it coated with lanolin or whatever. But don't lose your marbles over some surface rust on axle shafts, cast iron parts, etc.

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The Ram guys, including my self, have the same complaints. The suggested converters work well but they shouldn't be considered a one step solution. Remove as must rust as you can, treat it, zinc primer and paint. There's a real good thread on here about the best undercoatings. I trust what the guys from Pennsylvania and farther north use. ;)

Last edited:

Calm horse

Big Bend
First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 f150 king ranch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My 2021 showed up in Texas with the very same "Ford Quality Patina". Luckiy, it seemed to be primarily the driveshafts and not much else. Still it's a shitty look on a brand new $50k vehicle. I also was at the dealership within 2 hours of drop off and under 40 miles on the odometer. The amount of dirt on the vehicle was shameful (even after the pre-sale inspection wash) that I made them wash it again (it still had dirt - I decided not to waste any more time there).

Don't expect it to be any better than that. Still, that pitting is not right, but unfortunately normal. My driveshaft (front) was replaced under warranty for a boot failure. If it makes you feel better, I have 90k miles on mine with 0 days of downtime for repairs (driveshaft was just a few hours). It otherwise is still looking newish (but dirty).

Ford Bronco @Ford Why is my days-old BD so rusty underneath? IMG_20240213_151831538

Ford Bronco @Ford Why is my days-old BD so rusty underneath? IMG_20240213_151831538
I would imagine you shall be the 1st to hit a 100k...guessing by july.
Any plans to trade in or will you keep on going? Hoping the latter!

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Generally had a bad day and chose this to vent about since I saw someone comment about rust in another thread. The tire shop slightly bent one of my new wheels today and said it was already bent. Now I’ll have to miss some work to talk to a manager next week. Or just suck it up and make that one my spare.
Just going to note that Ford recommends a 5 tire rotation. So if you do make this a permanent spare and you still have warranty service make sure your service folks know to not rotate the tire in. I'd still raise hell with the folks that mangled your tire. Hopefully you have options regarding who does your tire work.

OP
OP
Fordified1

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have to say, this thread is ridiculous. Bare metal will rust. Driveshafts and axle shafts are bare metal. And guess what, there is ZERO risk they will rust through or be affected by that surface rust. Take a big ole chill pill.

If you want to protect your frame and non-moving parts from rust, get it coated with lanolin or whatever. But don't lose your marbles over some surface rust on axle shafts, cast iron parts
I work with metal for a living and believe it or not have been driving and working on vehicles since the 60’s and owned a Ford truck or 6. I know the difference between surface rust and pitting flaking corrosion spurred on by salt, that should not be there yet, and salt crystals all underneath the vehicle. My 21 year old Excursion has a lot of unpanted metal surfaces, and of course surface rust, but it has no pitting or flaking rust like is already showing up on this bronco on the bare metal and some painted parts. It showed up at the dealership with 30 miles on it and obviously somebody in Michigan drove it out in salt and then didn’t wash the undercarriage. I live in a dry climate where nothing rusts like this and plan to keep this truck until I pass it on to family. I’m just disappointed in Ford that it wasn’t cared for better before I got it. Chill yourself.
Sponsored