First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Azure Grey Wildtrak 4dr, 2014 Black JKURX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just returned from our first road trip (Seattle - Phoenix RT ~3000 miles), and I can confirm the OEM wireless charger -AND- USB-C charging ports are complete garbage (just in case it hasn't been fully documented in the forums yet :)).

Equipment: 2023 WT with LUX, iPhone 12 Pro.

We drove a few 12-hour days on the round trip, and the wireless charger caused the iPhone to overheat and shut down and thus take down CarPlay multiple times. Also, had the same overheating experience with the USB-C port. Air temps in and out of the Bronco were very mild.

I had heard about the issues with the factory wireless charger and wasn't too surprised, but the USB-C issue was a surprise. I've now tested the USB-C with an inline meter, and it's clear that it does not support Power Delivery (PD) and can only do 5v. Likely the higher current draw by the iPhone (due to only 5v) is causing the overheat. In the house, the iPhone charges normally with USB-C PD or wireless with no overheating issues.

As has been mentioned in other threads, the center cubby is a nice place to store the phone while driving and I'll stick with the USB-A for charging, so the question is: Has anyone found the FORScan codes to disable the factory LUX wireless charger?
Sponsored

OP
OP
KurtHu

KurtHu

Wildtrak
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Azure Grey Wildtrak 4dr, 2014 Black JKURX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Has anyone with a 2021 or 2022 and an iPhone 12 or 13 had this update from Ford TSB 22-2485 applied? Can you comment on if it made a difference?

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
'22 and iPhone 13 Pro. The charger seemed to work pretty well until I got a case. Now it still works, but the phone does get warm. The actual charging seems to depend on how much I'm using my phone - running Pandora and Google Maps it charges very slowly, but I have seem the battery percentage increase. I have also noticed that if charging for a long time, it eventually stops and the icon on the screen goes away. I haven't done any specific updates around this though.
Sponsored