Sponsored

Front Diff Explosion.... roadside assistance... why??

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah, you have the lighter front diff. There have been a few stories of people not having their axles fully seated in the diff and it puts too much strain on the small amount of splines trying to hang on and boom... Things get stripped, metal shavings everywhere.

I'd have to say, with an open diff, I'm surprised there was anything to actually grenade.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Here's a post for you guys that love to read about peoples suffering... also I'm just venting so bear with me haha.

So--- January 17th I drove my bronco into a small amount of snow and lost 4x4 immediately. Cue me being stuck with my wife and dog in the snow for 9 hours waiting for Ford to send 2 tow guys who couldnt get me out. Ended up calling someone local and paying for it myself....

Had the Bronco towed to the dealer so they could take a look. I know its tough right now with labour but I guess they didnt look at it thoroughly and ordered a part to fix the "4x4 actuator".

A month goes by and I wait. Call from service department finally comes a couple days ago. The problem is "worse than they thought" and the repair is going to be delayed at least a month while they wait for parts. They also lost my key

So after a long wait for my Bronco I had it all of about 400 miles before I had to have it back at the dealer. Now comes the new wait for parts as they wait for Ford to send whatever they need to get this fixed. Sounds like I lost a front CV and it roasted my whole front diff. Part is apparently a month out but man what a kick in the nuts after waiting so long.

I really hope I dont miss another Bronco Spring but really not looking good. First 3 months of Bronco ownership and it's spent most if it's time sitting in a dealer service lot... Anyone have any similar issues?
AAA.com, no Bronco owner should be without it!

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not victim blaming here, but if it were a "small amount of snow" why even bother engaging 4x4?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Would love to have actual details here. Can you talk to the service department and find out what is actually damaged? Ring and pinion, aluminum diff case, etc.? Iā€™m not sure how a CV failure leads to a complete diff replacement. Details please.

Pictures of damaged parts would be great.

Sponsored

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I would have them pull the front axles and shaft and drive it 2wd only until the part arrives.

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would have them pull the front axles and shaft and drive it 2wd only until the part arrives.
That sounds reasonable, but Iā€™m sure thereā€™s some BS excuse why they canā€™t.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
AAA.com, no Bronco owner should be without it!
I'm thinking this too. I have AAA for the cycle tow, but you have to buy the car tow and then add the cycle tow to your policy, so i have car AAA already. 9 HOURS, WTF?
Call both, see who wins

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That sounds reasonable, but Iā€™m sure thereā€™s some BS excuse why they canā€™t.
Needs the outer cvs to hold the wheel bearings together. If you had some bare outer cv stubs you could do it.
Sponsored