First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150 F/X 4, 2019 Honda Odyssey, 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 BMY M923A2 M
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Still not updated in my ride. Can't say I'm suprised.
Sponsored

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Ford Motor Company can you please provide guidance on how Bronco owners can receive this update that was communicated by your Director of Product Communications in October? As this tread indicates, the lack of communication after the initial announcement has caused a great deal of frustration among owners and further information would be very helpful.

Last Ride Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@Ford Motor Company can you please provide guidance on how Bronco owners can receive this update that was communicated by your Director of Product Communications in October? As this tread indicates, the lack of communication after the initial announcement has caused a great deal of frustration among owners and further information would be very helpful.
Amen brother! My software system says everything up to date and yet I still don’t have the full screen with CarPlay.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It’s already been done OTA correct? I don’t think the few who originally received the update did it themselves but got it OTA. So apparently it CAN and HAS been successfully achieved OTA. Am I missing something?
You’re not missing anything. It was released OTA for a couple days then pulled due to bugs found. Has not been re-released yet.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I dont even think the car sould/would hold enough voltage not connected. A 4amp charger wont keep up with the draw. I had to use additional power source. I bought another 10a charger
An 8 amp charger is not enough either to prevent it from falling behind over the 12 hours of updating.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My understanding is no. FDRS only works with multi thousand dollar diagnostic scan tools or with the aforementioned $550 mongoose cable. There is a $100 device that @mpeugeot linked above which requires downloading a hacked version of FDRS (I was not about to go down this route.)
It does not require a hacked version of FDRS. I am using the same FDRS everyone else is using.

The device works fine... it's a simple J2534 pass-thru adapter.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It’s already been done OTA correct? I don’t think the few who originally received the update did it themselves but got it OTA. So apparently it CAN and HAS been successfully achieved OTA. Am I missing something?
A few have succeeded with OTA, but I don't know what they started with.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Send us your VIN and favorite position, we will check out things on our end. Remember to grab your ankles while bending over...

fenderbender

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moped
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You’re not missing anything. It was released OTA for a couple days then pulled due to bugs found. Has not been re-released yet.
I don't know about any of that, but I wonder why the update would still be available and automatically provided by the dealer maintenance software (FDRS) if it had been pulled due to bugs found. Maybe the bugs were found in the OTA update process itself?

That's all speculation though, here are some facts:

1) The latest SYNC update that contains full screen carplay is over 5 GB in size.

2) The update takes 45 minutes to an hour to apply to the APIM.

3) During this time the engine must be running so that the battery voltage doesn't drop too low to continue the update (potentially interrupting the upgrade and "bricking" the module?)

4) Your Bronco isn't going to start itself in your garage to apply this update.

5) Your Bronco doesn't know how long your trip is going to be when you start driving - what if you are just running to the grocery store? Are you expected to sit in the truck for an hour because it has started a process that can't be interrupted?

How is any of this supposed to work?

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I don't know about any of that, but I wonder why the update would still be available and automatically provided by the dealer maintenance software (FDRS) if it had been pulled due to bugs found. Maybe the bugs were found in the OTA update process itself?

That's all speculation though, here are some facts:

1) The latest SYNC update that contains full screen carplay is over 5 GB in size.

2) The update takes 45 minutes to an hour to apply to the APIM.

3) During this time the engine must be running so that the battery voltage doesn't drop too low to continue the update (potentially interrupting the upgrade and "bricking" the module?)

4) Your Bronco isn't going to start itself in your garage to apply this update.

5) Your Bronco doesn't know how long your trip is going to be when you start driving - what if you are just running to the grocery store? Are you expected to sit in the truck for an hour because it has started a process that can't be interrupted?

How is any of this supposed to work?
I don’t know about any of that. It will work though. Just like all the F150s that got this exact update already. No wifi. No running engine.

fenderbender

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moped
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outerbanks Sasquatch!
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thank you to @mcinfantry for lending me some of his equipment he purchased when doing his upgrade. I was able to reach out to him today and meet him today to borrow it! I was able to update the software to the newest version with Full Screen Apple Car Play in about 2 hours.

It was recommended or necessary to install the Driver/Passenger door module upgrade first so I knocked those out first prior to starting any thing with the head unit itself.

I have pretty fast internet being 1gb down/100up and the files still took a while to download. May be the server that you have to download from, but that was probably the longest part. Transferring the update to the USB also took quite some time, but other than that it was pretty simple.

This is the guide I used for setting up FDRS.
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/attachments/fdrsinstall_guide-pdf.42609/

It got pretty late here, so I would continue to tinker around tomorrow. Have a few other updates ABS, AWD, TCU, and WACM that is needing updated as well, but not sure if I will update those or not. Purchased a keypad to lock the door etc. from @mcinfantry as well so will install that tomorrow. Also needing to turn off the annoying double honk!!!!

Also: Do I need to purchase a ForScan license to change the module for the double honk? It's 2 AM here heading to bed so haven't had time to research, but will do in the morning :). If anyone has any questions seems like these guys know what they are doing! Pictures attached.

IMG-1675 (1).jpg

IMG-1676 (1).jpg

IMG-1677 (1).jpg
Sponsored