First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have come full circle on this. I have a 2019 Raptor Supercab and I think I am out of the Bronco market unless the Warthog really wows me. I can haul, tow and go most places short of heavy rock crawling.
Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We tend to keep our vehicles a long time (decade plus). With the increase in competition (new four runner, jeep's response, bronco warthog and becoming its own "brand", electric vehicles, etc) I see us entering into a golden age of off-road competition. With that in mind, I'm not sure how long it may take to be realized and a bird in hand is better than two in the bush!

These are the Bronco updates that would probably make me kick myself for not waiting for. What would you say is the likelihood of any of these features being available in say the next 3-5 years:

Fold flat floor
Easily removeable rear seat
Tailgate
Non eco-boost engine (5.0 coyote, straight 6, mini pushrod 7.3)
Towing capacity of 5000 pounds or greater
Full size bronco

I hate compromising, especially at this price point, but also would hate to fruitlessly wait and miss out on years of topless fun and damn does the bronco look fun! I'm torn on waiting on practicality versus fun today!
Agree on "all" of these but what about on "any" of these! Even one or two of those would probably be enough to get me to pull the trigger on a current bronco, still may even without. Just torn on practicality.
Numbered for reference:
  1. Fold flat floor
  2. Easily removeable rear seat
  3. Tailgate
  4. Non eco-boost engine (5.0 coyote, straight 6, mini pushrod 7.3)
  5. Towing capacity of 5000 pounds or greater
  6. Full size bronco
1. A unibody vice body-on-frame vehicle is virtually required for this option. The folded seats have to still exist within our perceptible universe. Any fold-flat solution would need a seat or seats narrower than the frame rails--don't forget the exhaust and drive train it would have to avoid--or a cargo floor raised up to the height of the folded seats.

2. It is just so much easier to pass the government's safety requirements with a seat that's bolted; invest in Torx/E-Torx.

3. This would require the bad ass tire swing gate like my '79 Bronco had. It does not satisfy the bean counters. It would also be susceptible to the same problems as the '78-79 Broncos with their prone-to-fail tailgate window motors. I would like to believe that Ford would justify the extra cost on a higher trim/"model" but I just don't see them having two different types of rear opening.

4. The Coyote is too wide, Ford doesn't have an inline six, and the 7.3 Godzilla is a close one, but the deep skirt is probably going to interfere with the front axle, etc. without a body lift.

5. That's due to suspension, hitch mounting location/style, and cooling. There is an explanatory video on the Jeep Gladiator that explains how cooling was their biggest hurdle, because, as I'm prone to obnoxiously point out in every towing thread, the manufacturers follow SAE J2807 for tow ratings.

6. Ford Expedition, it replaced the full-sized Bronco. The closest we'll ever get is having the Raptor and sixth generation Bronco offered for sale at the same time.

Some, I really would like to see (the tailgate!), but I am looking at it from Ford's point of view.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I could see a 3.0tt warthog. Eventually the 2.7 will probably get a bump to 325 or 335hp. The 2.3 may get a 5hp bump.

Maybe they could eventually make a new variant with different suspension and a higher towing capacity, but I doubt it. They make rangers for that.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Numbered for reference:
  1. Fold flat floor
  3. Tailgate
  6. Full size bronco
1. A unibody vice body-on-frame vehicle is virtually required for this option. The folded seats have to still exist within our perceptible universe. Any fold-flat solution would need a seat or seats narrower than the frame rails--don't forget the exhaust and drive train it would have to avoid--or a cargo floor raised up to the height of the folded seats.

2. It is just so much easier to pass the government's safety requirements with a seat that's bolted; invest in Torx/E-Torx.

3. This would require the bad ass tire swing gate like my '79 Bronco had. It does not satisfy the bean counters. It would also be susceptible to the same problems as the '78-79 Broncos with their prone-to-fail tailgate window motors. I would like to believe that Ford would justify the extra cost on a higher trim/"model" but I just don't see them having two different types of rear opening.

4. The Coyote is too wide, Ford doesn't have an inline six, and the 7.3 Godzilla is a close one, but the deep skirt is probably going to interfere with the front axle, etc. without a body lift.

5. That's due to suspension, hitch mounting location/style, and cooling. There is an explanatory video on the Jeep Gladiator that explains how cooling was their biggest hurdle, because, as I'm prone to obnoxiously point out in every towing thread, the manufacturers follow SAE J2807 for tow ratings.

6. Ford Expedition, it replaced the full-sized Bronco. The closest we'll ever get is having the Raptor and sixth generation Bronco offered for sale at the same time.

Some, I really would like to see (the tailgate!), but I am looking at it from Ford's point of view.
3. Our '91 had the same thing - that tailgate was heavy as well though with the glass in it. I would love to see a split tailgate like the Land Rover has - I'm sure they can figure out how to accommodate a spare on it if they didn't want the swing-out spare holding arm thingy.

5. The Gladiator had to keep the Wrangler's front shape and grille, which was the biggest hurdle for cooling. That is not the case here - the Bronco is "based on" the Ranger but is its own distinct style.

For me the list is:
-5000lb tow cap
-mid on manuals below Badlands
-manual hybrid or parallel-hybrid PHEV
-series-hybrid PHEV
-convertible 3/4 cab pickup
-better colour choices

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I could see a 3.0tt warthog. Eventually the 2.7 will probably get a bump to 325 or 335hp. The 2.3 may get a 5hp bump.

Maybe they could eventually make a new variant with different suspension and a higher towing capacity, but I doubt it. They make rangers for that.
Yes but the Rangers don't come with a stick. I feel like a broken record around here FFS.

Maybe they will one day though now that they've spent the money to mate the 2.3 & 7M.

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
3. Our '91 had the same thing - that tailgate was heavy as well though with the glass in it. I would love to see a split tailgate like the Land Rover has - I'm sure they can figure out how to accommodate a spare on it if they didn't want the swing-out spare holding arm thingy.

5. The Gladiator had to keep the Wrangler's front shape and grille, which was the biggest hurdle for cooling. That is not the case here - the Bronco is "based on" the Ranger but is its own distinct style.

For me the list is:
-5000lb tow cap
-mid on manuals below Badlands
-manual hybrid or parallel-hybrid PHEV
-series-hybrid PHEV
-convertible 3/4 cab pickup
-better colour choices
5. False equivalence you got there: the Gladiator is to the Wrangler as the Brucko is to the Bronco. The Ranger has no place in the discussion. Ford will have similar problems increasing the towing capacity from Bronco to Brucko as Jeep did going from Wrangler to Gladiator.

• The mid on manuals below Badlands could happen for 2022.
  • Better colors are likely coming in 2022 with the promise of a green and another color.
  • A hybrid will eventually come and pander to a host of people who think that an extra 5 mpg is saving the planet despite how much energy, resources, potable water, and breathable air was used or depleted in the making of a new vehicle.
  • Brucko? Ford has too many trucks out or coming out to sustain the production of another one. They should have made a Brucko instead of this Maverick abomination, but if the Sport is any indication of their big decision making priorities, then they're bound to keep the Maverick as at least one more mistake-trophy for their hall of shame.

OP
OP

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Numbered for reference:
  1. Fold flat floor
  3. Tailgate
  6. Full size bronco

Good post. Definitely helps explain ford's thinking or lack there of.

1.,2. Your fold flat floor logic is reasonable. My counter is they could easily have made the seat removeable to give you a flat surface without the ledge. The old bronco was like that, no reason the new one can't be as well. If you could easily take the seats out then there would be no need for a fold flat floor.

3. I agree they cheaped out on the tailgate and really the whole back half interior.

4. For the motor, if this thing is going to be the bread and butter cash cow ford is hoping for then design something for it that fits. There is always going to be those folks that want naturally aspirated engine and the simplicity/longevity it brings.

5. The tow rating being 2500 pounds is really just sad. No excuse regardless of reason. I get they benchmarked a wrangler but no reason they couldn't have improved instead of met that figure. Plenty of vehicles with decent to good off-road suspensions have figured it out (4 runner, gladiator, etc). I'm not asking for 10k but 5k should be reasonable. Towing a light fishing boat shouldn't be too big of an ask.

6. The expedition is not what I'm looking for. Not off-road worthy at all. I know the government restrictions, cost and eating into their truck profit are likely all reasons but still think a full size bronco would be i Incredible and sell like crazy.

OP
OP

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As I type this more and more, I realize all they had to do was build an updated version of my '82 bronco and I would have been perfectly content.

Flat floor, removeable seat, naturally aspirated V8, real tailgate, good towing. Instead we get an IFS Jeep.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

5. False equivalence you got there: the Gladiator is to the Wrangler as the Brucko is to the Bronco. The Ranger has no place in the discussion. Ford will have similar problems increasing the towing capacity from Bronco to Brucko as Jeep did going from Wrangler to Gladiator.

• Better colors are likely coming in 2022 with the promise of a green and another color.
  • A hybrid will eventually come and pander to a host of people who think that an extra 5 mpg is saving the planet despite how much energy, resources, potable water, and breathable air was used or depleted in the making of a new vehicle.
  • Brucko? Ford has too many trucks out or coming out to sustain the production of another one. They should have made a Brucko instead of this Maverick abomination, but if the Sport is any indication of their big decision making priorities, then they're bound to keep the Maverick as at least one more mistake-trophy for their hall of shame.
For the cooling issue I was comparing the Ranger to the Bronco, not Bronco to Brucko. The Ranger tows 7500lbs, so its platform shouldn't present problems when trying to achieve a significantly lower tow rating on a different vehicle based on it. The Wrangler tows 3500lbs, so trying to get 7500lb + on a vehicle with the exact same styling may be problematic. Turned out it was.

Edit: now would there be the same issue going from Bronco to Bucko? Perhaps. Just not what I thought we were talking about. When I first posted.

Last edited:

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As I type this more and more, I realize all they had to do was build an updated version of my '82 bronco and I would have been perfectly content.

Flat floor, removeable seat, naturally aspirated V8, real tailgate, good towing. Instead we get an IFS Jeep.
Just modify your '82 Bronco with the amount of money you were going to spend on the new Bronco, solved.

Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Weird. It's almost like they didn't design this specifically for you.

harperrb

Wildtrak
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We tend to keep our vehicles a long time (decade plus). With the increase in competition (new four runner, jeep's response, bronco warthog and becoming its own "brand", electric vehicles, etc) I see us entering into a golden age of off-road competition. With that in mind, I'm not sure how long it may take to be realized and a bird in hand is better than two in the bush!

These are the Bronco updates that would probably make me kick myself for not waiting for. What would you say is the likelihood of any of these features being available in say the next 3-5 years:

Fold flat floor
Easily removeable rear seat
Tailgate
Non eco-boost engine (5.0 coyote, straight 6, mini pushrod 7.3)
Towing capacity of 5000 pounds or greater
Full size bronco

I hate compromising, especially at this price point, but also would hate to fruitlessly wait and miss out on years of topless fun and damn does the bronco look fun! I'm torn on waiting on practicality versus fun today!
This is more of a wishlist than actual possible features.

I don't see many of these as real options. So you should be fine.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

If anything the manual options are going to shrink over time, not expand. It's insane they are actually going to make a mansquatch. After that I expect they kill it and pretty much just let the manual stagnate on a few limited trims.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is more of a wishlist than actual possible features.

I don't see many of these as real options. So you should be fine.
I see it as a win-win. You get your Bronco now, and if there are actually enough amazing new features to justify replacing it in three years then you go ahead and do it. Hopefully the '21 has enough intrinsic value to mitigate the financial hit.