Sponsored

General Opinion: Manual Transmission (Update)

Begster

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It appears that most people have a difference of opinion from me, but the 7MT is the main thing that is keeping me from really liking my Bronco. It is weird to say, but I think I would enjoy mine better if it was an automatic.

This is my 5th manual vehicle. I even took my '00 TJ and swapped it from an auto to a manual, so the 7MT was the only option I considered. Got rid of the TJ and another manual vehicle when I got the Bronco, currently also drive a manual '17 WRX. I would keep the WRX over the Bronco without a second thought.

I don't get the hype people keep saying about how it is the smoothest transmission ever. Yes the physical gear shifter is smooth, but I can't stand the clutch. It has zero feel, the gear ratios aren't well matched (1st to 2nd, my gosh!), it feels like half the time I got to clutch it was still applying torque to the clutch so the vehicle jolts when the flywheel disengages, it doesn't always like to rev when I blip the throttle on downshift, I don't like sitting in stop and go traffic with it due to the way it is programmed to start without throttle input (if I want to make a small adjustment, it just wants to take off more than let me just lightly apply pressure), etc. And whoever thought that auto stat-stop should come on a manual transmission should be excommunicated from the vehicle industry. I know it is not a sportier clutch like my WRX, and I'm not trying to compare it to that, the AX-15 in my TJ was much better.
Sponsored

Tukten

Badlands
First Name
Tukten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-door Badlands with Sasquatch package
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have MY22 and had to have the transmission replaced for the grinding issue. I love driving it nonetheless and my Ford dealer was pretty easy to work with on the replacement transmission.

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It appears that most people have a difference of opinion from me, but the 7MT is the main thing that is keeping me from really liking my Bronco. It is weird to say, but I think I would enjoy mine better if it was an automatic.

This is my 5th manual vehicle. I even took my '00 TJ and swapped it from an auto to a manual, so the 7MT was the only option I considered. Got rid of the TJ and another manual vehicle when I got the Bronco, currently also drive a manual '17 WRX. I would keep the WRX over the Bronco without a second thought.

I don't get the hype people keep saying about how it is the smoothest transmission ever. Yes the physical gear shifter is smooth, but I can't stand the clutch. It has zero feel, the gear ratios aren't well matched (1st to 2nd, my gosh!), it feels like half the time I got to clutch it was still applying torque to the clutch so the vehicle jolts when the flywheel disengages, it doesn't always like to rev when I blip the throttle on downshift, I don't like sitting in stop and go traffic with it due to the way it is programmed to start without throttle input (if I want to make a small adjustment, it just wants to take off more than let me just lightly apply pressure), etc. And whoever thought that auto stat-stop should come on a manual transmission should be excommunicated from the vehicle industry. I know it is not a sportier clutch like my WRX, and I'm not trying to compare it to that, the AX-15 in my TJ was much better.
Not sure about most of your issues. But I wonder if the Steeda clutch pedal spring would help you with the feel.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Interesting read about the manual. I'm a manual guy, love and save the manuals. But I got the automatic only as I wanted the 2.7 and more acceleration. I had a 1997 TJ prior, with the 5 speed AX-15 and it was a wonderful transmission- but slow on the open road. My 2 door Base Sas with the 2.7 is fast as heck. I have had many manuals over the years- most were great, some not so. Sometimes you get a bad one. But I wonder too how the manual is. I sometimes considering getting a base, bare bones Bronco with manual and the "tiny" tires as my daily. I read some people get almost 30 MPG. That is the same as my daily a brand new GTI driving it like so light footed, no fun at all. Driving it normal and going 70 on the interstate I get only in the 20's. I wish there were more Broncos around to try a manual.

351W-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1969 Bronco, 2001 Excursion (7.3L)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
MY23 with about 6K on the clock, no issues, no noises to speak of. Super easy to shift.

FWIW, I have a ZF 5 speed in my '69 Bronco, and if you want to talk noise, that has it to spare. Super reliable though, even with the noise, and much more of a truck transmission than the 6G Bronco. While not nearly as quick shifting, I never have a thought that it will fail. I will always go with a Manual if there's the option.

Herb

Sponsored

HASE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a December 22 buld 23 badlands 7mt. Had the noise from day 1. Just had the trans entirely replaced and it is completely quiet. Love driving it. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Firstly, I do agree that the gear ratios can be odd. Then you add in the different engagements and revs between 4H, 4L, 2H and crawl, and you've got what feels like 5 different transmissions in the low gears.

Having only had the Bronco a few weeks before meeting up with some B6g folks in Moab, and it being a few weeks before a spinal surgery as I was largely unable to walk or stand, learning these different engagement points and what feels like disconnected gearing, i'll jump on that bandwagon with you!

You have a BD, but I don't know if it's Sasquatch or not. I'll say the 4.7:1 isn't nearly as bad as the Black Diamond's 4.46:1 that I tried out. My personal rig is a Badlands 2.3/MT non-sasquatch

Ford Bronco General Opinion: Manual Transmission (Update) 1689960500690

Ford Bronco General Opinion: Manual Transmission (Update) data

Auto start-stop should ABSOLUTELY be removed from manual transmission cars!!! How is it that remote start has killed enough people that it's not allowed on Manual vehicles but auto stop-start gets by?????? It's going to get somebody killed, especially in a recovery situation.

However, $30 later and it's been properly disabled fully. Betting the lawsuit against Ford when it finally takes a life costs them more than $30.

Your rush-hour traffic must be vastly better than Seattle traffic. I just sit in crawl and it keeps pace with traffic perfectly and is a very low-effort and comfortable in the horrors of gridlock traffic.

The above being said: I love the MT in Bronco. Our '19 Ranger Lariat has the 10AT and how much that automatic sucks is the reason I have a Bronco. The MT solves all the wrongs with Ranger and takes the 2.3 from a good engine to a great engine!

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I'm coming from a '89 D90 5speed so I'm in heaven with the 7mt. Agreed, 1st & 2nd w/ 4.70 gears aren't well matched which was exaggerated with the stock 33s. Moving up to 35s helped but still very short IMO. Moving up to 37s made a world of difference...I was skeptical about the 2.3 pushing the 37s but pleasantly surprised.

As for the clutch, It's kinda mushy. I did install the Steeda clutch spring which made a world of difference in the feel.

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a 22 that does have the scraping noise when it's cold, but since it's hotter than hell here, I haven't heard it in months. As far as I can tell performance has not been affected and I absolutely love the m/t and can't imagine not having it in my Bronco. Paired with the 2.3, it's plenty fast, especially in Sport mode. I think you'll be happy with your decision should you decide to make the jump. For comparisons sake, my wife has a 21 Jeep Wrangler with the m/t and the Bronco is so much more fun than her's!

Ravenndd

Big Bend
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Very satisfied with the manual. The clutch , the gearing, just the overall feel and experience. If you have been longing for a manual you wonā€™t be disappointed. I hope they keep making them but who knows. This could be the last of a dying breed.

Sponsored

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not sure I understand the danger is ass for the manual. For me the ass in the manual is the only ass car I've driven where the ass didn't annoy the hell out of me.

I 100 percent agree on the hate of it automatically gasing to not stall. I'd rather it stall then lurch forward.

I do get the noise and when audible it is not pleasant.

As for off road, it's easy to drive but the auto is easier.

After a day at offrodeo compared to a day in the manual I noticed I go slower in the manual just because I don't shift up like the auto does. I've gotten lazy and tend to shift slowly, which is not a good thing in most offroad situations.

Best part of the manual is that it was cheaper ; )

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Love how these threads always turn into a manual love fest (like folks need to justify/prove something). 2 of our 3 vehicles are sticks and I enjoy rowing them around (unlike the wife, but she can) but for serious off roading and/or towing I will only have autos (Better control, smoother and easier on parts). But if you are not doing any serious off roading go for a stick if that floats your boatā€¦I donā€™t think the bronco manual is much less reliable than others.

Begster

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not sure about most of your issues. But I wonder if the Steeda clutch pedal spring would help you with the feel.
Interesting, thanks for the suggestion I'll look into that. I'll probably wait until after the dealership gets around to replacing the 5th/6th gear synchros. But it has been over 6 months of waiting so far, so who knows when it actually will be.

Firstly, I do agree that the gear ratios can be odd. Then you add in the different engagements and revs between 4H, 4L, 2H and crawl, and you've got what feels like 5 different transmissions in the low gears.

Having only had the Bronco a few weeks before meeting up with some B6g folks in Moab, and it being a few weeks before a spinal surgery as I was largely unable to walk or stand, learning these different engagement points and what feels like disconnected gearing, i'll jump on that bandwagon with you!

You have a BD, but I don't know if it's Sasquatch or not. I'll say the 4.7:1 isn't nearly as bad as the Black Diamond's 4.46:1 that I tried out. My personal rig is a Badlands 2.3/MT non-sasquatch

Auto start-stop should ABSOLUTELY be removed from manual transmission cars!!! How is it that remote start has killed enough people that it's not allowed on Manual vehicles but auto stop-start gets by?????? It's going to get somebody killed, especially in a recovery situation.

However, $30 later and it's been properly disabled fully. Betting the lawsuit against Ford when it finally takes a life costs them more than $30.

Your rush-hour traffic must be vastly better than Seattle traffic. I just sit in crawl and it keeps pace with traffic perfectly and is a very low-effort and comfortable in the horrors of gridlock traffic.

The above being said: I love the MT in Bronco. Our '19 Ranger Lariat has the 10AT and how much that automatic sucks is the reason I have a Bronco. The MT solves all the wrongs with Ranger and takes the 2.3 from a good engine to a great engine!
BD non sasquatch, so I have the 4.46:1. That is a good point about the gearing affecting people's experiences depending on their setup. Having only driven my Bronco, now I'm curious what other set ups feel like.

I'll eventually get around to disabling auto-start stop. I've actually started leaving it on when I drive around the city, it means that I don't have to listen to the jar of marbles noise that comes from the transmission when stopped (even in 80Ā°F+ heat).

As far as traffic, that is interesting about using the crawl gear. Unfortunately traffic around here is usually a lot more stop than go, so it's a lot of shifting between 1st, 2nd, and full stop.

I'm coming from a '89 D90 5speed so I'm in heaven with the 7mt. Agreed, 1st & 2nd w/ 4.70 gears aren't well matched which was exaggerated with the stock 33s. Moving up to 35s helped but still very short IMO. Moving up to 37s made a world of difference...I was skeptical about the 2.3 pushing the 37s but pleasantly surprised.

As for the clutch, It's kinda mushy. I did install the Steeda clutch spring which made a world of difference in the feel.
Thanks, I'll definitely have to look into the Steeda clutch spring. And yes, the 2.3 is awesome and so much more power coming from my TJ. Although I'd love an '89 D90.

Badland-Mansquatch-ATX

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL, Tesla Model S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a ā€˜22 Badlands SAS manual and absolutely LOVE it. Itā€™s shifts smooth and solid, feels a bit like driving rental cars in Europe with a short throw for a truck. First gear can be a bit sluggish unless you rev a little or are smooth with the clutch. Once the turbos get some boost, that goes away and second and third have a nice push.
Itā€™s the additional tech that is really cool. It holds the brakes on a hill while you start off, which feels like a cheat code after years of learning how to master that skill. Lots more, which this video does a great job of explaining. .
Crawler Gear is awesome (I still like to refer to it as granny gear). šŸ˜‰

I would be nice to pair it with the 2.7L, just because, but it is just fine for my driving needs and Iā€™m tend to drive a little faster than most people.

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Love how these threads always turn into a manual love fest (like folks need to justify/prove something). 2 of our 3 vehicles are sticks and I enjoy rowing them around (unlike the wife, but she can) but for serious off roading and/or towing I will only have autos (Better control, smoother and easier on parts). But if you are not doing any serious off roading go for a stick if that floats your boatā€¦I donā€™t think the bronco manual is much less reliable than others.
Says the guy who has not played off road with the crawler gear.
Sponsored

Last edited: