mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m sure been discussed before but can’t find it quickly. What’s the ground clearance on Stock BD vs stock BL ? Thanks
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The difference will be something like, one half inch (.5") if you are talking about a non-Squatch Badlands.
The lowest part of the Bronco (lower shock mounts on rear axle) will not be affected by suspension lift, only taller tires will get it farther away from the ground.
As memory serves ....
The Black Diamond rides on 31.6" tires.
The Badlands rides on 32.6" tires.
Only half of that one inch of difference is below the center line, therefore the Badlands shock mount will only sit half an inch higher.

Clear as mud?

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also, look at Ford's web site under specs ... Ironically it shows them as the same, across all models. Somewhere in there it notes (Base) next to the 8" stats. The Base rides on 30.1" tires, so extrapolate from there.
per Ford.com...
8.4" 2dr non-squatch
8.3" 4dr non-Squatch
11.4" 2dr Squatch
11.3" 4dr Squatch

OP
OP
mdepll

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The difference will be something like, one half inch (.5") if you are talking about a non-Squatch Badlands.
The lowest part of the Bronco (lower shock mounts on rear axle) will not be affected by suspension lift, only taller tires will get it farther away from the ground.
As memory serves ....
The Black Diamond rides on 31.6" tires.
The Badlands rides on 32.6" tires.
Only half of that one inch of difference is below the center line, therefore the Badlands shock mount will only sit half an inch higher.

Clear as mud?
So only half inch taller ?

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So only half inch taller ?
Sort of...sprung components (engine, trans, fuel tank) will gain another approx 3/4" from the Badlands suspension, so 1 1/4 ish total.

I crawled around under my non Sas Big Bend the other day: The front diff/engine was about 10.5, transmission was 15, trans crossmember about 10.5, transfer case 12, rear diff was 9.6 which is the advertised number for a BB, the fuel tank was 9'', yep less than the diff, so a suspension lift could help that. And, of course, the rear suspension which clocks in around 8.

OP
OP
mdepll

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sort of...sprung components (engine, trans, fuel tank) will gain another approx 3/4" from the Badlands suspension, so 1 1/4 ish total.

I crawled around under my non Sas Big Bend the other day: The front diff/engine was about 10.5, transmission was 15, trans crossmember about 10.5, transfer case 12, rear diff was 9.6 which is the advertised number for a BB, the fuel tank was 9'', yep less than the diff, so a suspension lift could help that. And, of course, the rear suspension which clocks in around 8.
BD has bigger wheels so slightly more clearance than big bend ?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

BD has bigger wheels so slightly more clearance than big bend ?
Actually slightly less. The BB tires are 32.1" dia and the BD's are 31.6 so 1/4" less clearance, for what it's worth, in the BD.

OP
OP
mdepll

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Actually slightly less. The BB tires are 32.1" dia and the BD's are 31.6 so 1/4" less clearance, for what it's worth, in the BD.
Ok then time to change my order from BD to BB!!

BroncoJones

Badlands
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Yukon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You could always change the tires out down the road on any of them if the stock height isn't adequate.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ok then time to change my order from BD to BB!!
Well, maybe. Based on ground clearance there is hardly any difference. The BD tires are a better off road tread. The BD has skid plates standard, they have to be ordered with the bumper on the BB. I got the BB because I wanted cloth seats, carpet and I liked the wheels the best, but these things are subjective. The BB is a few $K cheaper, also important to me.
Sponsored