Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, 23 Lightning Pro, 14 FLD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This last few trips we’ve done where organizing on this forum under Sacramento Broncos ,any one is welcome. I have wheeled the Dear Valley trail with a few stock Badlands, but the rubicon is going to be extremely challenging with 33. The broncos on 35’s drag a ton.
That’s good to know, thank you.

I haven’t ever been to the Rubicon or any trails up that way really but wheeled a handful of times up on Bald Mountain outside Shaver Lake this past summer. I wonder if anyone has wheeled both and could draw some comparisons at all.

I fully understand the Rubicon is more challenging than Bald Mountain but by how much?
Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That’s good to know, thank you.

I haven’t ever been to the Rubicon or any trails up that way really but wheeled a handful of times up on Bald Mountain outside Shaver Lake this past summer. I wonder if anyone has wheeled both and could draw some comparisons at all.

I fully understand the Rubicon is more challenging than Bald Mountain but by how much?
Its like running Posi on Bald Mountain, over and over again. Felt like Swamp Lake Trail.

_jeff

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, 23 Lightning Pro, 14 FLD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Its like running Posi on Bald Mountain, over and over again. Felt like Swamp Lake Trail.
That is very helpful. And damn, seriously? I’ve tackled a line immediately left of the main V notch on Posi but I’m not sure I could even make it up the main line - and forget about the buggy line to the right of it.

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Absolutely doable! It's more of how much you want to risk. Absolute best modification is a good spotter, you will need one every 5 minutes. This is one of those trails your going to get damage on.

This was my first taste of the trail and it is very much like several other trails I have run just longer. I didn't feel like I was vehicle limited. This trail is more geared to bigger tires and more clearance. Jeep with us had 3-4" more clearance and it made a noticeable difference on some obstacles.
Do you have recommendations for similar trails, but shorter, to practice on? To work up to the Rubicon eventually. Maybe this fall.

And do you think a stock Badlands non-SaS would be able to complete the Rubicon? I’m not afraid of some body or undercarriage damage. I plan to have rear shock skids and the Broncbuster bushing. And will carry a spare tie rod and tools. And if better than rock rails are a recomendation (or any others) I’m fine with that. But I want to keep it stick for awhile to push it and develop skills

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@murphtron Rubicon is 35s and armor anything less is accepting body damage.

Gold Country Broncos on Facebook will be doing a Rubicon run! Not sure if I will make that run but definitely a good group to join up with. I would join the June 3rd group trail cleanup it's about networking and getting to know people.

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you have recommendations for similar trails, but shorter, to practice on? To work up to the Rubicon eventually. Maybe this fall.

And do you think a stock Badlands non-SaS would be able to complete the Rubicon? I’m not afraid of some body or undercarriage damage. I plan to have rear shock skids and the Broncbuster bushing. And will carry a spare tie rod and tools. And if better than rock rails are a recomendation (or any others) I’m fine with that. But I want to keep it stick for awhile to push it and develop skills
Nena Barlow's Barlow Adventures has been running guided Rubicon trips for years and has a list of minimums for vehicles they will accept. One of those minimums is 35" tires and that's for Jeeps; Broncos have more dangly bits underneath than Jeeps so 33" would seem even more lacking. Just a data point for your reference.

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any of the high Sierra rock trails are good practice for the Rubicon. Dear Valley, Buck lake trail and Eagle lakes. As mentioned 33” are small on a four door.

Charles Miller

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Could you expand on how the steering rack broke?
Sponsored