Sponsored

Hard top replacement requires a week of downtime?

fiatlux

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo V60 T8 Polestar Engineered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A replacement hardtop for my Bronco has arrived (leak at the rear window), but the dealership says they'll need the car for a week. Is this normal? I would have expected that all they need to do is unbolt the old top and put the new one on, but they say they need to make sure it sits properly on the vehicle, and that it's part of the procedure Ford has put in place when replacing hard tops with a new unit.
Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A replacement hardtop for my Bronco has arrived (leak at the rear window), but the dealership says they'll need the car for a week. Is this normal? I would have expected that all they need to do is unbolt the old top and put the new one on, but they say they need to make sure it sits properly on the vehicle, and that it's part of the procedure Ford has put in place when replacing hard tops with a new unit.
A week?! What a joke. I highly doubt that... Shouldn't even take a day. I'd ask to see the service bulletin they're looking at.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It will take them a week to get around to it. The job itself is probably only a few hours but the rear windows are removed and re-installed in the new top so there may be some cure time involved.

Squatched

Badlands
First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine was at the dealer for 2 days only because they didn’t realize the headliner didn’t come with it and had to overnight it.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Depends how busy they are. It would be better if you brought them your Bronco and not your car though. Sorry people calling a Bronco a car is a pet peeve of mine but yeah a week isn't overly crazy.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It will take them a week to get around to it. The job itself is probably only a few hours but the rear windows are removed and re-installed in the new top so there may be some cure time involved.
I forgot the glass isn't pre-installed, so you're right about the cure time to do that.

Still, shouldn't be a week long process for them (you can drive away with a newly installed windshield same day...).

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Depends how busy they are. It would be better if you brought them your Bronco and not your car though. Sorry people calling a Bronco a car is a pet peeve of mine but yeah a week isn't overly crazy.
Correct a Bronco is a Wagon, Station-Wagon, or SUV, not a truck, car, or rig.

Back on topic, windshields can be installed on the street by mobile units, I've always picked mine up same day. I don't see them needing it for a week, sounds very suspect.

Dude1967

Outer Banks
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco 2 door Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Mine took 1 day.

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve had mine replaced 3 times. Should only take a day. Longest part is the cure time for the side window adhesive and headliner adhesive.

Sponsored

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.5 days at the body shop for mine. Perhaps it’s because it’s winter and they needed time for everything to warm up and then cure?

They also disregarded my advice to check for a headliner, and had to order one in… they are giving it to me to install. That confusion might’ve cost them some time too?

AK007

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awaiting my Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It took about 2-3 days for mine, the body shop had to contract a glass shop to remove the windows from the old rear shell and install on the new one. It's just a matter of coordinating and how busy the dealer is.

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I forgot the glass isn't pre-installed, so you're right about the cure time to do that.

Still, shouldn't be a week long process for them (you can drive away with a newly installed windshield same day...).
I had mine done, it was done the same day. They must be really busy to tell you a week.

Jer

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands,2017 F350, 2023 F150L, 1976 K20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those of you that have had your hardtop replaced, did Ford replace all pieces or just the back section with cracks or whatever issue? Having mine replaced this week for cracks , but they didn’t specify if it was just the back or all the sections.

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For those of you that have had your hardtop replaced, did Ford replace all pieces or just the back section with cracks or whatever issue? Having mine replaced this week for cracks , but they didn’t specify if it was just the back or all the sections.
Just the back section. For mine, they re-used the rear flip-up window, but put new side windows in. The new rear section comes with no windows, and they have to order the windows and the headliner separate.
Sponsored