First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So imagine that same setup except no steering box...no mechanical link from the frame to the axle at all...just hydraulic power...Rockwell guys use this setup more than anyone.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
found it in the article...

Straddle-Mount Pinion Bearing

Another difference between the 8.8-inch arrangement and the traditional 9-inch is that the 8.8-inch gears do not have the trunnion on the pinion head, so the high-pinion 9-inch axles do not have the straddle- mounted pinion bearing arrangement. Therefore, the high-pinion, 9-inch axle used for off-road and lifted truck applications is more of a hybrid combination of the 9-inch structure with 8.8-inch gears. This axle assembly usually drives 35-inch tires and transmits up to 400 hp. The hybrid third member can also be used in the rear axle application, again limiting power and tire size. The high-pinion third members have some unique features added to the gear case in order to catch and direct oil to the bearings.
Yup.
Looked into this when the aluminum M190 was stated to be the only nosquatch base model option.

I looked into staying IFS, but replacing the M190 with something else.

A very expensive High9 was the only three pinion bearing option.
Everything else was huge&heavy or weak.
Going SAS doesn't change that factor.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
It should be noted, that the 9" would actually replace the M190 with minimal trouble.
Since the housing is custom made anyways, making one to fit the factory axle disconnect is a technically.
But the factory CV axles and joints durability are now the big question mark.

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's not rocket science. It's not going to space bro.
I think you might be living in space. Cause your idea for a brand new vehicle is outta this world. You do you though, please post photos. I learned long ago in the Muscle car world not to tell others what to do with their vehicle... unless you want to foot the bill. Good luck and godspeed.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not NHTSA approved and not 50 state legal...same reason I would want to avoid it. If I do mods and share them w/the community, I would prefer they are mods that are streetable!

OP
OP
Evanks

Evanks

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not NHTSA approved and not 50 state legal...same reason I would want to avoid it. If I do mods and share them w/the community, I would prefer they are mods that are streetable!
Lotta states full hydro is legal or at least not illegal. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a cop that knows the difference

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lotta states full hydro is legal or at least not illegal. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a cop that knows the difference
Ya I wouldnt have a problem using it on my own rig, but the question I was replying to is why jeep, or any other oem doesn't.
Sponsored