Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
it's not very complicated when the steering is full hydro...but that gets into street legal issues. We are just riffing here ;)
Gotcha.

The real Q is: how many of the computers e-nannies freak out when the IFS is gone?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gotcha.

The real Q is: how many of the computers e-nannies freak out when the IFS is gone?
There are 2 ways of dealing w/it...you can adapt all 4 abs sensors...say I used superduty axles, I'd have to adapt the connectors for the fronts...then the single rear channel i'd have to split that up to satisfy both rear channels(assuming bronco has 2 rear channels). Could also use a single sensor on all 4 channels as a sort of "everythings ok" signal so the computer just thinks we are traveling straight all the time.

Now for the EPS...that I'm not sure yet...there's gotta be a way

Last edited:

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ya so what? w/out a housing to put it in how does that help me?

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
you lost me...gears from a 8.8 IFS in a 9" hog head? Front 9" housing is still something that I'm trying to wrap my head around...I'm nearly out of beer and there is nothing stronger in the house.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cool...expensive, yes! don't see anything about 8.8 gears tho. Low pinion no doubt caused pinion angle issues...reverse cut and high pinion and we are in business!

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco has EPS rack. The upside is all the steering assist functions are built right into the rack. HUGE downside is if you wana do SAS, which is what we are discussing here, you gotta come up w/your own steering pretty much from scratch...then deal w/the CAN issues of the EPS not being there...or being there and not really doing anything?

PS my next project is doing hydro assist on my XJ!

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OK I'm still not following...what you are saying is currie built a 9" style hog head that takes F150 IFS gears? Wouldn't it have been easier to go to somebody like yukon and just ask them to make a gear? Or conversely if I order a currie high pinion hog head I get gears for it by asking yukon for F150 8.8 front in whatever ratio? I KNOW I cant just put an 8.8 ring and pinion in a 9" hog head...I have plenty experience w/both.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Full Hydro doesn't use a gearbox...just a ram, mounted right to the axle, and an orbital valve (they call it). Check out https://www.pscmotorsports.com/. Orbital valve is called a "helm" when these systems are used on boats. Can be assisted by an engine driven pump just like conventional power steering.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So the currie unit doesn't have the snout on the pinion for the pilot bearing then?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
found it in the article...

Straddle-Mount Pinion Bearing

Another difference between the 8.8-inch arrangement and the traditional 9-inch is that the 8.8-inch gears do not have the trunnion on the pinion head, so the high-pinion 9-inch axles do not have the straddle- mounted pinion bearing arrangement. Therefore, the high-pinion, 9-inch axle used for off-road and lifted truck applications is more of a hybrid combination of the 9-inch structure with 8.8-inch gears. This axle assembly usually drives 35-inch tires and transmits up to 400 hp. The hybrid third member can also be used in the rear axle application, again limiting power and tire size. The high-pinion third members have some unique features added to the gear case in order to catch and direct oil to the bearings.
Sponsored