First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My hesitation with the Bestop soft top is the inability to fold fully down - unless I’m completely missing something, all it can do is have the top flip back and have the rear windows removed. It cannot fully collapse like the OEM top
Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Based on my experience at nearly two years of ownership, putting the OEM soft top into the first position takes 30 seconds. Putting into position two, takes no more than 5 minutes unless you just really suck at removing the rear windows and stowing them. As far as I know, the TrekTop can't even go to the second position at all, and because of the slant you give up a TON of storage in the rear. These make it no bueno for me.

I'm going to continue to wait on a hard top purchase. Anderson is trickling out, ADV has been stuck in final assembly for an eternity, and I think they're all ridiculously overpriced.

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, I just realized I may have more tops for a Bronco than anyone else. Although, 2 of them are the same and one will be shipped back to the manufacturer.

1. Original OEM soft top - I affectionately refer to it as the circus tent. Ugly, heavy, cumbersome to put up and down, noisy, poor quality fabric and the windows scratch if you look at them.

2. Bestop Trektop - light, better fabric, better windows, can be put up/down completely in 3-4 minutes, sits above the roll bar which means you simply cannot see it as the driver. Way quieter. It is light too. Had I known it was that good I would not have bothered with a hardtop.
I must say, having had the OEM soft top and now having the Trektop, I am surprised by this opinion. It greatly differs from my experience with the exception of how BUTT UGLY the OEM top is and how easily the windows scratch.

The OEM top could be thrown back at a red light, from inside the vehicle in less than 5 seconds. My Bestop I have to slap open the latches just right or else they'll hang up and I have to push upward from the front center while standing outside the vehicle to keep it from getting hung on the corners because it is so flimsy.

Furthermore, with the top back the Fabric sags in front of the rear headrests, intruding on the headspace of the rear passengers.

And finally, my Bestop is MARKEDLY louder than my OEM top. I was shocked at how much louder it was. Aside from the wind noise, after 6 months of it being installed the fabric over the rear window has become so loose that it flaps in the wind when driving over 45mph and makes a plop plop plop plop noise constantly.

Aside from how it looks, I really could not be more disappointed with the @Bestop_Team Trektop. It has failed to meet my expectations in every conceivable way. I'll likely be doing a comparison YouTube video on the two tops in the near future showing people the functional and quality differences between the OEM and the Bestop Trektop. I wish I had the info I have now prior to buying it, and I am sure plenty of other people who think they're unhappy with their OEM top would be happy to see that comparison as well.

*Side note.. I had heard a long time ago that Bestop actually produces the OEM soft top for Ford. Not sure if that's valid or not, but if it is, it makes me wonder why they wouldn't have put the same level of functional quality into their own branded product as they did to the Ford product (i.e. the stamped metal OEM frame vs the flimsy bolt together linkage) unless Ford had an upfront design exclusivity ironed out as part of the OEM contract.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Based on my experience at nearly two years of ownership, putting the OEM soft top into the first position takes 30 seconds. Putting into position two, takes no more than 5 minutes unless you just really suck at removing the rear windows and stowing them. As far as I know, the TrekTop can't even go to the second position at all, and because of the slant you give up a TON of storage in the rear. These make it no bueno for me.

I'm going to continue to wait on a hard top purchase. Anderson is trickling out, ADV has been stuck in final assembly for an eternity, and I think they're all ridiculously overpriced.
Key word here, overpriced!

johnavp1989

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had a Bestop on my Jeep for years and those windows also scratch if you so much as look at them. I think it's just the nature of plastic windows and I'm not convinced that Bestop outperforms the OEM top in this regard in any meaningful way.

I just don't see any advantage to the Trektop over the OEM. The OEM flips back so easily that I can do it one handed while driving. Unlatch before you get going and then a slight push up and the wind does the work for you.

The trunk space and access is also a huge disadvantage. With the OEM I can easily stack up luggage, boxes, coolers etc in the back. The Trektop reduces the usable space and makes it harder to access.

Sponsored

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yea I think people like to shit on the OEM tops, but I've now owned the softie for a year (and I loved it), and I've had the hard top for 2 weeks ... and I also love it.

Nothing's perfect, of course, but they are much better than everyone acts.

OK_Hunter

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infinity g37
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Not every OEM soft top operates exactly like yours does, and bear with me for a moment. Obviously, they all go up and down the exact same way. The difference is variation in manufacturing as well as factory install causes some OEM soft tops to be a BITCH to get the side windows back in. Yes, I know the tricks for leaving the top unlatched so you can stretch and force the side pieces into the vertical slots. The bottom line is, getting on the roof and adjusting the mounting points to be properly distanced in the Texas summer isn't something I'm motivated enough to do - I can make it easier with some work.

And btw, I actually like the soft top... Just saying it's not as "easy" to put all the way down for everyone (it actually goes down super easy, putting it back is the first world problem 😂).

Cliff B

Badlands
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979Bronco Ranger XLT, 2017 4Runnner Limited 4x4,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I sold our factory soft top after installing the Trektop, I do think the Bestop product is quieter but that's just an opinion. Our Bronco has leather and lux, so it has carpet that helps keep the sound down supposedly. We had no issue with the quailty or functionality of the factory top, but preferred the look of the Trektop and how much more open it is, and the fact that you can see all the way out the back. Just a personal preference, both have advantages. Thanks for posting the Andreson review, good info!

We've had it on a little over a year with no stretching issues whatsoever. BTW Bestop makes a vinyl window cleaner/wax that removes the slight scratches in minutes, and it also protects it. They also sell soft top protection treatments for regular vinyl or twill, be sure you get the right one.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I feel like this is one of those LOL at the poor's posts hidden as an infomercial for the different tops. Or at least that is how it feels as the resident poor (at least mentally).

Realtor

Wildtrak
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've had the factory OEM soft top for 32,000 miles 1.5 years. It's great. I found none of the OP's issues. We also have an OEM hard top. I'm liking the versatility of the soft top. They are both nice, but I would go soft top again FTW.

Sponsored

jrollo7

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So, I just realized I may have more tops for a Bronco than anyone else. Although, 2 of them are the same and one will be shipped back to the manufacturer.

1. Original OEM soft top - I affectionately refer to it as the circus tent. Ugly, heavy, cumbersome to put up and down, noisy, poor quality fabric and the windows scratch if you look at them.

2. Bestop Trektop - light, better fabric, better windows, can be put up/down completely in 3-4 minutes, sits above the roll bar which means you simply cannot see it as the driver. Way quieter. It is light too. Had I known it was that good I would not have bothered with a hardtop.

3. Anderson Composite hard top - 2X. First one was badly damaged in shipping (Outstanding service by BMC Customs - who I purchased it through- throughout the whole replacement process, unmatched). Second one was perfect. Comparing it to the hardtop on my two door it is laughable how much better it is than the OEM hardtop. Fit and finish is light years better, edges aren’t open and waiting to suck in water, hinges are better, headliner isn’t cheap indoor/outdoor carpeting glued in, etc. Doesn't sound like a jet engine.

Here is the damaged one heading back to Anderson.
IMG_3662.jpeg
Only for 4 door?

OP
OP
Cable Guy

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

jrollo7

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes. Only have the OEM hardtop for 2 door
I meant the Anderson top is only available for 4 door Bronco-right? I went to their website and only so 4 door for $6k

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I must say, having had the OEM soft top and now having the Trektop, I am surprised by this opinion. It greatly differs from my experience with the exception of how BUTT UGLY the OEM top is and how easily the windows scratch.

The OEM top could be thrown back at a red light, from inside the vehicle in less than 5 seconds. My Bestop I have to slap open the latches just right or else they'll hang up and I have to push upward from the front center while standing outside the vehicle to keep it from getting hung on the corners because it is so flimsy.

Furthermore, with the top back the Fabric sags in front of the rear headrests, intruding on the headspace of the rear passengers.

And finally, my Bestop is MARKEDLY louder than my OEM top. I was shocked at how much louder it was. Aside from the wind noise, after 6 months of it being installed the fabric over the rear window has become so loose that it flaps in the wind when driving over 45mph and makes a plop plop plop plop noise constantly.

Aside from how it looks, I really could not be more disappointed with the @Bestop_Team Trektop. It has failed to meet my expectations in every conceivable way. I'll likely be doing a comparison YouTube video on the two tops in the near future showing people the functional and quality differences between the OEM and the Bestop Trektop. I wish I had the info I have now prior to buying it, and I am sure plenty of other people who think they're unhappy with their OEM top would be happy to see that comparison as well.

*Side note.. I had heard a long time ago that Bestop actually produces the OEM soft top for Ford. Not sure if that's valid or not, but if it is, it makes me wonder why they wouldn't have put the same level of functional quality into their own branded product as they did to the Ford product (i.e. the stamped metal OEM frame vs the flimsy bolt together linkage) unless Ford had an upfront design exclusivity ironed out as part of the OEM contract.
You have a bad installation job on the Trektop, I would correct before you make that video.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
1. Original OEM soft top - I affectionately refer to it as the circus tent.
My wife and I call it the Diaper Hat. It really is unattractive. I have the hard top, but I do yearn for the ease of a soft top. Perhaps someday a 3rd party manufacturer will get one right for the Bronco. At which time I'll jump on one.
Sponsored