Sponsored

Help! How do you stop this thing? A stat you probably didn't know (149 feet brake distance).

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63 AMG, CLA 250, TrailBlazer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's only one thing that worries me about the 4 door Sasquachted Badlands soon to be delivered to me, which is how long it takes to stop.

Virtually all current production vehicles' published road braking performance tests indicate stopping distances from 60 mph that are typically 120 to 140 feet. See Consumer Reports breakdown on typical stopping distance by vehicle type. I consider the Bronco to be a midsized SUV. That class has a stopping distance of 134 feet.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/best-and-worst-braking-distances-a2960086475/

Sports/sporty cars120
Luxury midsized cars128
Luxury small SUVs129
Small cars130
Luxury small cars131
Small SUVs132
Luxury large cars132
Large cars132
Midsized cars133
Midsized SUVs134
Luxury midsized SUVs134
Compact pickups136
Minivans138
Compact electric/hybrid cars138
Luxury large SUVs138
Full-sized pickups140
Large SUVs143
Average of all tested vehicles132

Also per consumer reports, they say

• Braking distance: The Ford Broncoā€™s stopping distance isnā€™t just subpar; CR says, ā€œThe Broncoā€™s stopping distances are among the longest weā€™ve seen from any vehicle in years. It took the Bronco 149 feet to stop from 60 mph in dry conditions and 168 feet in the wet. The brake feel wasnā€™t bad on the road, but for any emergency braking, the Bronco felt cumbersome.

I can't figure out which Bronco was tested in the above statement. Typically a Sasquachted package will be the worst.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop quicker? For the quick-witted, I'm aware slowing down and lightening the vehicle are options.

BUT: Bigger calipers and cross drilled/vented rotors will not help. They will only improve brake fade. I'm not talking about repeated hard stops from high speeds, which is where calipers and rotors may help.

The answer is better tires, but All-Terrain and Mud-Terrain tires typically suck for stopping. Is there a way to get a 35 inch Summer or winter tire or all seasons?
They don't really make them for this size vehicle tire. Please add some suggestions if you have them!!!
Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bronco is a pig. What did you expect? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Ford Bronco Help! How do you stop this thing? A stat you probably didn't know (149 feet brake distance). 9284ED7C-5084-47A4-94C9-07B5082F38A9

Last edited:

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's 9' longer than a "full size pick-up.
What's so bad about that?
Do a big brake upgrade if you're worried.
Or drive responsibly and you shouldn't have any problems.
I have 37's. No issues

Sponsored

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
and motortrend got 133ft

who knows.
I havent felt unsafe personally, but I know that big knobby tires and a loose suspension with over 5000lbs of vehicle weight will never be a sports car. leave an extra 20ft of space to the car in front of you and you have offset the disadvantage.

OP
OP
First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63 AMG, CLA 250, TrailBlazer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I appreciate the reasonable perspectives above, thanks.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Put your phone down, donā€™t tailgate, etc. Drive it like itā€™s an off-road vehicle and not a sports car. Youā€™ll be fine.

MNbronco

Wildtrak
First Name
RC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Tremor, 2021 Bronco sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

not sure about the 60 to zero time but the emergency braking at 30mph works very well šŸ˜‰

Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
and motortrend got 133ft

who knows.
I havent felt unsafe personally, but I know that big knobby tires and a loose suspension with over 5000lbs of vehicle weight will never be a sports car. leave an extra 20ft of space to the car in front of you and you have offset the disadvantage.
Extra spacing also has the added benefit of reducing windshield damage.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
According to the NHTSA all but about 4 of the classes you listed as "evidence" fall under light truck for their fuel economy requirements.

That, plus being a big, spongy, lifted bread box on wobbly stilts should tell you the rest for why braking distance sucks.

Turns out braking suddenly with the cabin on a slinky causes the weight to shift up and forward, ruining your stopping distance!

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wowā€¦ā€¦mine stops great. It is an off-road vehicle. Sorry that youā€˜re so disappointed.
Sponsored