Sponsored

Help! How do you stop this thing? A stat you probably didn't know (149 feet brake distance).

Sixtysixpride

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Humors me they talk about good pedal feel during normal braking since it’s a simulated pedal to begin with.

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's only one thing that worries me about the 4 door Sasquachted Badlands soon to be delivered to me, which is how long it takes to stop.

Virtually all current production vehicles' published road braking performance tests indicate stopping distances from 60 mph that are typically 120 to 140 feet. See Consumer Reports breakdown on typical stopping distance by vehicle type. I consider the Bronco to be a midsized SUV. That class has a stopping distance of 134 feet.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/best-and-worst-braking-distances-a2960086475/

Sports/sporty cars120
Luxury midsized cars128
Luxury small SUVs129
Small cars130
Luxury small cars131
Small SUVs132
Luxury large cars132
Large cars132
Midsized cars133
Midsized SUVs134
Luxury midsized SUVs134
Compact pickups136
Minivans138
Compact electric/hybrid cars138
Luxury large SUVs138
Full-sized pickups140
Large SUVs143
Average of all tested vehicles132

Also per consumer reports, they say

• Braking distance: The Ford Bronco’s stopping distance isn’t just subpar; CR says, “The Bronco’s stopping distances are among the longest we’ve seen from any vehicle in years. It took the Bronco 149 feet to stop from 60 mph in dry conditions and 168 feet in the wet. The brake feel wasn’t bad on the road, but for any emergency braking, the Bronco felt cumbersome.

I can't figure out which Bronco was tested in the above statement. Typically a Sasquachted package will be the worst.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop quicker? For the quick-witted, I'm aware slowing down and lightening the vehicle are options.

BUT: Bigger calipers and cross drilled/vented rotors will not help. They will only improve brake fade. I'm not talking about repeated hard stops from high speeds, which is where calipers and rotors may help.

The answer is better tires, but All-Terrain and Mud-Terrain tires typically suck for stopping. Is there a way to get a 35 inch Summer or winter tire or all seasons?
They don't really make them for this size vehicle tire. Please add some suggestions if you have them!!!
Motor Trend instrumented test of a Black Diamond.
Ford Bronco Help! How do you stop this thing? A stat you probably didn't know (149 feet brake distance). Screenshot_20220920-203956~2

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Motor Trend instrumented test of a Black Diamond.
Ford Bronco Help! How do you stop this thing? A stat you probably didn't know (149 feet brake distance). Screenshot_20220920-203956~2
The 2-door is 100.4 wheelbase. The 4-door is 116.1 and with the 2.7 and all the fun stuff it’s a lot heavier that 5k lbs.

That being said, I left room with my F150 and still do with my Bronco. It’s not made to go or stop fast. It’s built to get over whatever made the other cars stop.

Sponsored

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2-door is 100.4 wheelbase. The 4-door is 116.1 and with the 2.7 and all the fun stuff it’s a lot heavier that 5k lbs.

That being said, I left room with my F150 and still do with my Bronco. It’s not made to go or stop fast. It’s built to get over whatever made the other cars stop.
Just one more reason to get the two door!😎

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Or, you could mount up a set of these!
Ford Bronco Help! How do you stop this thing? A stat you probably didn't know (149 feet brake distance). Screenshot_20220920-210537

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There's only one thing that worries me about the 4 door Sasquachted Badlands soon to be delivered to me, which is how long it takes to stop.

Virtually all current production vehicles' published road braking performance tests indicate stopping distances from 60 mph that are typically 120 to 140 feet. See Consumer Reports breakdown on typical stopping distance by vehicle type. I consider the Bronco to be a midsized SUV. That class has a stopping distance of 134 feet.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/best-and-worst-braking-distances-a2960086475/

Sports/sporty cars120
Luxury midsized cars128
Luxury small SUVs129
Small cars130
Luxury small cars131
Small SUVs132
Luxury large cars132
Large cars132
Midsized cars133
Midsized SUVs134
Luxury midsized SUVs134
Compact pickups136
Minivans138
Luxury large SUVs138
Full-sized pickups140
Large SUVs143

• Braking distance: The Ford Bronco’s stopping distance isn’t just subpar; CR says, “The Bronco’s stopping distances are among the longest we’ve seen from any vehicle in years. It took the Bronco 149 feet to stop from 60 mph in dry conditions and 168 feet in the wet. The brake feel wasn’t bad on the road, but for any emergency braking, the Bronco felt cumbersome.

I can't figure out which Bronco was tested in the above statement. Typically a Sasquachted package will be the worst.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop quicker? For the quick-witted, I'm aware slowing down and lightening the vehicle are options.

BUT: Bigger calipers and cross drilled/vented rotors will not help. They will only improve brake fade. I'm not talking about repeated hard stops from high speeds, which is where calipers and rotors may help.

The answer is better tires, but All-Terrain and Mud-Terrain tires typically suck for stopping. Is there a way to get a 35 inch Summer or winter tire or all seasons?
They don't really make them for this size vehicle tire. Please add some suggestions if you have them!!!

Seriously,

Jeep Wrangler

60 mph - 0128-133 ft
70 mph - 0217 ft

If you want to stop faster, get a 2 door OBX.

Sponsored

DA JUICE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 Wheels, 3 pedals, goes forward
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Won't the 2.7 stop quicker because of the electric brake booster vs the 2.3 w/ the vacuum unit?

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So many levels I'd like to comment on this.... but I wont go there!

It's a truck for off road, to drive over n through stuff, not a track car! I would use other words but, my filter only allows for Ugh.....

I run 37" tire and have no issues stopping or stopping hard. The only difference is how much I'm looking over my hood at the pavement...🤣

Upgrade you brakes, add more rubber to your wheels, stay off your phone and know you are driving a purpose built vehicle...

For the impaired or distracted drivers theres lane & brake assist for the ones that need it. Hmmmm.... 🤔

If you have a 2 door know it's Badass!!!👍👍

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Sports/sporty cars120
Luxury midsized cars128
Luxury small SUVs129
Small cars130
Luxury small cars131
Small SUVs132
Luxury large cars132
Large cars132
Midsized cars133
Midsized SUVs134
Luxury midsized SUVs134
Compact pickups136
Minivans138
Luxury large SUVs138
Full-sized pickups140
Large SUVs143

Wait, larger calipers will help stopping ability. Also, we have a F150 Raptor, 140 ft is short...at least shorter than 201 FT.

CeeCeeBronco

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
CeeCee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's a non-issue. Don't worry about it. If you have adaptive cruise control on, it will stop plenty in time for most things. And for everything else, you won't be tailgating and will have plenty of time to stop.

You'll be fine.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

CR. Nothing else needs to be said. Get you information from an actual source not a bunch of half-wits that don’t know anything. They will fail a car if they don’t like the way the buttons “click”. CR is the king of biased subjective ratings.
Sponsored