Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is good news! Sounds like 285/75x17 will fit on the BB and BD stock rims. Might need a 1/4 hubcentric wheel spacer and some modified crash bars but thats easy.
Sponsored

Rebel Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco 7spd Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Question about increasing tire size...Squatch package offers a stronger axle...Is this necessary for general use, or is that specifically for hard use offroad? So, how important is a beefier axle if I just want to roll a DD with larger tires?

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is good news! Sounds like 285/75x17 will fit on the BB and BD stock rims. Might need a 1/4 hubcentric wheel spacer and some modified crash bars but thats easy.
What brand are you thinking? Heard these arent safe, but at only 1/4", if theres enough lug left to be fully torqued then youre good? There's also these high quality ones, with out bolt pattern for the ranger @ 1". Heard these are safer. https://www.stage3motorsports.com/F...MIhqeYsYeD7gIVROh3Ch0lEwVWEAQYAiABEgLaR_D_BwE

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What brand are you thinking? Heard these arent safe, but at only 1/4", if theres enough lug left to be fully torqued then youre good? There's also these high quality ones, with out bolt pattern for the ranger @ 1". Heard these are safer. https://www.stage3motorsports.com/F...MIhqeYsYeD7gIVROh3Ch0lEwVWEAQYAiABEgLaR_D_BwE
Seems like there are a lot of reputable brands out there that make the spacers, and if we only need a 1/4" I am sure they will be made quickly. I have been reading a lot about spacers the last couple days and what I hear/read over and over is if you keep them on the thin side and they are hub-centric then you should be ok. I am convinced that just a small spacer of 1/4" that still leaves enough threads for a full pass through the nut and is hub-centric will be great. I am less convinced of the larger ones that require a second set of lugs to bolt the tire too. If they are hub-centric as well and you don't go too far out I guess it would be fine. The unknown is how much extra wear they are causing on the joints. If you are a hard core wheeler I doubt its the way to go.

Last edited:

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I still think clearance is less of an issue than actually flashing the CPU, and all accompanying modules so the car has the correct tire size, in order to operate as intended.

From what I have seen, I wouldn't change tire size at all, or order with that intent, until we find out if it can be supported. Long gone are the days of changing the speedometer gears, and it looks like it may be the end of an after market tuner working either.

Modding is cool, but the more I read, and from some sites who like to mod, the more caution is being suggested on going out of factory specs. Seems more and more tests are coming back, that the vehicles are handling overall better from factory than after modified.

Now if your goal is some serious rock crawling, then I guess it wouldn't apply, but then you have likely built something that degraded in performance in all other areas.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I still think clearance is less of an issue than actually flashing the CPU, and all accompanying modules so the car has the correct tire size, in order to operate as intended.

From what I have seen, I wouldn't change tire size at all, or order with that intent, until we find out if it can be supported. Long gone are the days of changing the speedometer gears, and it looks like it may be the end of an after market tuner working either.

Modding is cool, but the more I read, and from some sites who like to mod, the more caution is being suggested on going out of factory specs. Seems more and more tests are coming back, that the vehicles are handling overall better from factory than after modified.

Now if your goal is some serious rock crawling, then I guess it wouldn't apply, but then you have likely built something that degraded in performance in all other areas.
I'm an old guy too and have swapped my fair share of speedo gears.

I might agree if going from Base 30's to 35's, but 32 to 33, that's just 3 percent. So instead of doing 70 mph you'll be doing 72. Your Bronco will 'think' you're doing 70 and be none the wiser.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So does this mean that BL takeoffs will fit on a OBX no problem lol

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm an old guy too and have swapped my fair share of speedo gears.

I might agree if going from Base 30's to 35's, but 32 to 33, that's just 3 percent. So instead of doing 70 mph you'll be doing 72. Your Bronco will 'think' you're doing 70 and be none the wiser.
Point taken on this one. If you use the BL "33", its only a .5" difference as OBX is 32.1" and BL is 32.7"

If you have a 33" that closes in on 34", it may or may not have a meaningful effect. Likely not, but I think folks should be aware, that they may not be able to update the vehicles system, to the actual specs.

30" to 35" inch has a lot more worries than just the computer issues. Time will tell, I am likely over conservative on these issues.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems like there are a lot of reputable brands out there that make the spacers, and if we only need a 1/4" I am sure they will be made quickly. I have been reading a lot about spacers the last couple days and what I hear/read over and over is if you keep them on the thin side and they are hub-centric then you should be ok. I am convinced that just a small spacer of 1/4" that still leaves enough threads for a full pass through the nut and is hub-centric will be great. I am less convinced of the larger ones that require a second set of lugs to bolt the tire too. If they are hub-centric as well and you don't go too far out I guess it would be fine. The unknown is how much extra wear they are causing on the joints. If you are a hard core wheeler I doubt its the way to go.
Years ago I read up on spacers just out of curiosity and so much conflicting info.
One thing that always sticks with me....we put HUGE loads on One ton dually trucks and many of those had factory 2" spacers, high quality spacers for sure, but big....and nobody ever knew any different.
NO ALUMINUM SPACERS!!!
I'd feel MUCH more comfortable running quality wheel spacers than all those lift blocks you see for budget lift kits.
As you noted, stud length needs to be checked.

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
OP - just keep in mind the total costs of these builds. I was inbetween BL / OBX w 33s / OBX sas. We've now learned that BL and OBX sas cant take on racks, and likely suffer on payload. Additionally, it looks like Ford is charging 795 for the automatic 4x4 on the OBX, which was previously included in the lower gearing option (also 795). So right off the bat you're in the hole 1,590

Three builds with 2.7L lux...where OBX has aux switch, front steel bumper, gearing+auto 4x4, and leather...BL has MGV (but no power seats)
OBX: $54,950
BL: $56,375
OBX Sas: $59,150

That leaves you $1,425 of "aftermarket" money before you breakeven on a BL, and $4,200 before you breakeven on an OBX sas. But focusing more on the BL breakeven, once you get 5 tires, that's it, you're spending Badlands money. Get tires AND wheels, and now youre in the hole. Swap flares, now even more in the hole....

This is also while foregoing lift, front locker, disco, heavy duty axles, and rear steel bumper, in exchange for front power seats. Do you need that stuff? Probably not. Do i need that stuff? Also, no. But you'll probably be losing out on maybe $3k of content that will be lost when it comes time for resale....The analogy is this: Ford offered us all that content for FREE, with the caveat that it would decrease your payload by 300 lbs, and we turned around and said ‘no thank you’. So it is frustrating.

Personally, I am taking youre exact same approach. I'm pretty pissed about it. But I am willing to live that that if we do find out payload is a major concern on the badlands, and i could still outfit an OBX with the things I want, while having a cargo box. If not enough payload for cargo box, and doing big family trips, then this family truckster becomes more of a toy

The biggest negative is that we find out in 2022 that Ford could magically raise GVWR and people get more comfortable with the Badlands. Now we are into an OBX for more money, lesser content, and lesser resale value, than a Badlands.

Personally, I am trying to lessen the blow and do tires on stock wheels. And depending what that looks like, a minor 1” lift upfront to level out some with either with front coils, or
This is my order

Sponsored

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This IS
20210311_220911.jpg
the way I went. Adding aftermarket wheels and 275 70r 18 tires. That gives me the look I want, creature comforts and GVWR

BkCntryCrwlr

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Fordmanbob - I went with almost the exact same build as you did. Couldn't quite reconcile the Cyber Orange, even though I like it a lot. I went with Rapid Red, kind of waiting to see what the '22 colors are since I don't believe I will see a '21.

I have struggled with going Wildtrak and just running with it, just don't want the lower geared rear end. I'm going to order unpainted wheel flares (more contrast on the OBX) and add aftermarket wheels and slightly larger tires once it lands here in Idaho. Should save a little but still get a good look. I hope! :sneaky:

BTW - jaruss01 and Legend - I've enjoyed following the tire discussion and your thoughts!

Cliff

Badlands
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great info in this thread!!!
Question is would you ever put the
WRANGLER TRAILRUNNER AT - SIZE: LT275/70R18
on your Bronco!

Ford Bronco OBX with 33s do we know how yet? Capture.PNG

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This IS
Ford Bronco OBX with 33s do we know how yet? Capture.PNG
the way I went. Adding aftermarket wheels and 275 70r 18 tires. That gives me the look I want, creature comforts and GVWR
You earn the heart emoji for "Grabou-ski"! Lmao