Sponsored

Help me understand the fuel economics of gasoline containers?

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well it's not always the projected gas mileage. Take a trail like Dusy-Erishim in Ca that is roughly 33.5 miles and maybe 15 miles to the only game in town gas station on the mountain. In the course of that trail it will take you about 4 full 8 hour plus driving days to complete while traversing numerous elevation changes. My XJ (white one in pics) at the time had a 20 gallon tank. Average 15 miles per gallon on the hi-way. The math on paper says I should have about a 300 mile range, should be no problem getting 50 miles out of that. Well carrying an additional 5 gallons it should be 375 miles of range on paper. We were still sweating getting to the gas station.

Spending day after day in low range can suck up the gas 🤠
10K Ft at Kaiser Pass with Mt. Whitney in the background.
IMG_4564.jpg
Picture 066.jpg
IMG_4665.jpg

IMG_4585.jpg
ph-10061.jpg

IMG_4745.jpg
Yea same for my XJ on the Rubicon. That’s where I used my gas can once for it.

53379012-87AF-44E8-BA53-CF0C2200791E.jpeg
Sponsored

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Mtea

Big Bend
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr 2.3 Auto, Porsche Cayenne Diesel Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I just ordered two of the Rotopax 2 gal cans with the RockSlide spare tire mount as it can be a looooong way from a gas station in the central Idaho mountains. Thanks for letting me know about the need to vent them in hot weather. Once I get the cans I may head off to a few thrift stores to see if I might be able to score a couple insulated vests on the cheap that could be modified to zip over the cans.

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry for the noob question.

So I'm having a debate with myself about mounting gas carriers to a bronco (or any off road vehicle). I feel like if I ever offroaded far enough away from the nearest gas station and ran out of gas, I'd probably be about 200-300 miles away. An emergency gas source (Jerry can or rotopax), with the mpg on these vehicles, at best I might get me 90 miles back towards home (two 3 gallon rotopax at 15mpg in an off-road environment) and still stranded. Am I missing something?
First time I saw a Rotopax, I thought it seemed like a good idea. Then I researched. 2 gallons? Have to vent? I guess I was spoiled by jerry cans. They sure do look nice and convenient. But, I'll buy a Rotopac when I see the military using them.

It may be true that someone is never more than 300 miles from a gas station. What's the road like to the gas station? Think about having to drive for 70 miles in lower gears. Even in 2wd hi, that will kill your mileage. You'd be doing good to get half your around town mileage. But, how late is the gas station open? Is it open on holidays? Do they have gas or are they sold out?

Is the gas station still there? TrailRecon had an experience in Southern New Mexico. The gas station he was planning on using had been closed for several years (Queen, NM). He had to make a 90 mile detour to Carlsbad to get gas and continue his trip.

Are your maps and mapping software accurate and up to date? What if you get lost? What if the route you were planning on taking is closed and you have to take an unplanned detour? How much time do you lose having to backtrack or detour for gas?

I'd much prefer an extra 16 gallon tank. Since that's not an option, I'll be carrying two or three Wavian cans. 5 gallons each and I don't have to remember to vent them. I'm debating carrying them on my roof rack or on side racks (Trailrax with Pax Rax). I can mount the cans high, then use a siphon to get gas into the gas tank. I'll also make sure I top off before leaving pavement.

Both Rotopax and military cans have their pluses and minuses. I think it's more important to think about how much spare fuel you want to carry, then decide how you're going to safely carry it.

ymmv (your mileage may vary)

Last edited:

illverado

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
700whp stick shift 2000 silverado 2011 caprice ppv
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I joke with my wife they are used as piss jugs on trips to far away malls. Doing Rocky Mountain raceweek I took 15-18 gallons of e85 for my pickup to dilute the Colorado blown head gasket guaranteed gas they sell. Even that was barely enough to be useful. I’d understand if they’re taking e85 or 105+ octane to mix in with a tank of trash somewhere like Colorado where it’s all like 85-89 octane or to the dunes etc but there’s nobody making big turbo kits and no tuning support yet, so, piss jugs.

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd much prefer an extra 16 gallon tank. Since that's not an option, I'll be carrying two or three Varian cans. 5 gallons each and I don't have to remember to vent them. I'm debating carrying them on my roof rack or on side racks (Trailrax with Pax Rax). I can mount the cans high, then use a siphon to get gas into the gas tank. I'll also make sure I top off before leaving pavement.
Varian? I am unfamiliar with this brand/model/concept - could you please expand? Thanks.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Varian? I am unfamiliar with this brand/model/concept - could you please expand? Thanks.
I meant Wavian. Thanks for catching my error. And thanks to 604Bronco. I've fixed my post.

Last edited:

AndGerry

Wildtrak
First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GMC Acadia Denali
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’ve done overlanding/off-roading in much of the western USA and I can’t really think of anywhere that is “200-300 miles away [from a gas station]”.

But more to your question, the idea is supposing that you’ve done the math and you’ll probably have enough to get out & back; the extra cans are peace of mind “just in case” your math is a little off.
This is how I’ve also thought about the insurance afforded by extra gas cans in the vehicle. But I’m a noob too, so all this exchange is helping me refine all this so I prep better.

Tofudude

Base
First Name
Chan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Brono Base Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Extra gas isn't a bad thing but holy cow these overlanders are taking it a bit far. 5 gallons whether its for emergency of if you have equipment that requires gas/diesel is pretty much enough.

Sponsored

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Overlanders definitely have different requirements than rock crawlers. Everyone needs to decide for themselves. If I only made day trips I probably wouldn't bother with spare gas.

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 Wranglers, looking at a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
From the current issue of Land Rover Life Magazine... two jerry cans on the front fenders and four on the roof. Wouldn't be hard to make one of those roof racks if you really needed lots of extra fuel. But I can't imagine any expedition you could make in the continental US that would need that muck extra fuel.

Ford Bronco Help me understand the fuel economics of gasoline containers? RoofJerryRack