Sponsored

Trying to better understand the offroad community's opinion of sway bar disconnect

Neverowneda4x4

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went to Off Roadeo a month after i bought my bronco. When we were on the trails, the guide let us know that if you're in a badlands, go ahead and leave sway bar disconnected (because it automatically re-engages at a certain speed).

So I've been on a few trails on my own since then, and I try to follow what I learned at off roadeo, leaving the sway bar button pushed.

Is this bad?

I'm on a few different bronco online communities and a common phrase I read is "I don't need sway bar disconnect" or "sasquatch and rear locker is all I'll ever need" (especially when discussing trims). So I am wondering how to interpret these types of comments. Is it "I'll never go off road anyways" or "sway bar disconnect is for noobs/ sissies, etc.."? Just wondering, because I'm of the mindset that you don't know what you'll "need" until you need it. Thanks!
Sponsored

Justb211

Raptor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Typically the sway bar being disconnected is best used when going over off camber obstacles in an attempt to keep all 4 tires on the ground for traction. If the trail is an easy trail then there really is no use for disconnecting. If you are going to be throwing the vehicle at some obstacles then the disconnects with help with maintaining traction by keeping the tires on the ground. Look for some local off road clubs in your area and try and go on some wheeling trips with them. You will learn more from those clubs then any off road rodeo. Where in California are you located? Take a look at the link below for a list of reputable off road clubs in California. And most important thing in off roading is don't go alone, always go with another vehicle especially if you are new to this.

California 4Ă—4 Off Road Clubs Directory | (offroaders.com)

Last edited:

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went to Off Roadeo a month after i bought my bronco. When we were on the trails, the guide let us know that if you're in a badlands, go ahead and leave sway bar disconnected (because it automatically re-engages at a certain speed).

So I've been on a few trails on my own since then, and I try to follow what I learned at off roadeo, leaving the sway bar button pushed.

Is this bad?

I'm on a few different bronco online communities and a common phrase I read is "I don't need sway bar disconnect" or "sasquatch and rear locker is all I'll ever need" (especially when discussing trims). So I am wondering how to interpret these types of comments. Is it "I'll never go off road anyways" or "sway bar disconnect is for noobs/ sissies, etc.."? Just wondering, because I'm of the mindset that you don't know what you'll "need" until you need it. Thanks!
IMHO: If you have it, use it. It allows the front-end to flex that much further. Going over rocks it can make the difference between having three wheels on the ground or four. Cruising down a trail at less than 20mph it should give you a smoother ride.

If you know you're going to average speeds > 20mph, its probably best to turn it back off so its not constantly disconnecting and reconnecting. For me, I just generally let the GOAT mode turn it off and on, if I'm dropping to rock crawl for 4L, then obviously I'm not going to be going very fast. If I'm in mud/ruts, and the column of vehicles I'm following slows down quite a lot I activate the feature.

Now, slightly off topics, but 1-pedal drive when you're in the middle of a constantly stopping group of vehicles is absolutely awesome.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Disconnecting the sway bar gets you more droop up front. I have a base sas (no disconnect) and my buddy has a badlands. He might be a little more stable or less tilted through some obstacle where I might lift a wheel. I tell myself I’ll manually disconnect and never bother. We both get through fine. I want the Acfab links, but keep prioritizing other purchases.

Happycampinman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sway bar disconnect is a tool just like lockers,cameras ,GPS etc. it has its place for certain types of terrain. Some folks will never be in a spot it’s useful. Others will use it all the time. Pay attention to how you use your vehicle. Experiment with it on and off and you’ll find out if it’s useful to you. This is my opinion and you may get a bunch of different opinions.

Sponsored

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Wildtrak
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.apollo-optics.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak | 2021 GT500 | 2019 F-250
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The purpose of having a sway bar on the vehicle is for added stability at highway/higher speeds. But having a sway bar, does limit the articulation of the suspension under the truck.

When you're going fast whether on-road or off-road, you'll actually want to have the sway bars to limit body roll. This is why the Wildtrak trim which was originally built for more desert running trails vs off-camber crawling style off-road, didn't feature a sway bar disconnect.

Whether you need a sway bar disconnect or not is going to totally depend on what you're doing with your vehicle. If you're going over tough terrain and really flexing the suspension, you'll want to disconnect the sway bars to maintain traction and get more articulation.

If you're going down some dirt roads at 30-40mph, keep your sway bar connected.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Is this bad?

I use to live in Colorado and did a lot of off-roading on mountain trails, driving mostly stock CJs. Before the OEM "arms race" started and people began thinking you need all the extras to off-road.

You don't need that extra stuff to off-road. Although it can be useful depending on the situation, or if taking it to the next level.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I turn mine off when I go into any 4WD situation where I know most of it will be below 20mph.
It give just a bit more articulation when it is useful, and gives a bit smoother ride on the in-between.
After years and years of lying on the ground to do it, it sure is nice to have a button to push, and I'm gonna use that sucker and not miss lying on gravel and dirt to connect/reconnect it.

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@Happycampinman said it fantastically...think of it as a tool that you don't necessarily HAVE to have, but it is great to have in a number of situations. If you continue to do off-roading, you will eventually find it very nice to have the electronic disconnect.
Definitely look at the clubs section or google off-road groups in your area. Most will have "newbie" runs designed to help you get your feet even more wet (metaphorically, or maybe even literally speaking). If you are in the Bay area of California, @WheelMe is with the Bay Area Broncos group and does runs when he is not spying on me in Moab :p

OP
OP
Neverowneda4x4

Neverowneda4x4

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Typically the sway bar being disconnected is best used when going over off camber obstacles in an attempt to keep all 4 tires on the ground for traction. If the trail is an easy trail then there really is no use for disconnecting. If you are going to be throwing the vehicle at some obstacles then the disconnects with help with maintaining traction by keeping the tires on the ground. Look for some local off road clubs in your area and try and go on some wheeling trips with them. You will learn more from those clubs then any off road rodeo. Where in California are you located? Take a look at the link below for a list of reputable off road clubs in California. And most important thing in off roading is don't go alone, always go with another vehicle especially if you are new to this.

California 4Ă—4 Off Road Clubs Directory | (offroaders.com)
Thanks. I'm in southern California. Before Off Roadeo, I did look to some local groups, but was unable to join in due to previous commitments, bad weather, etc. Will continue to explore these options. Thanks!

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My major reservation is that it is a non-user serviceable hydromechanical component that has not been "battle tested" yet. So far it seems okay. But the oldest Broncos out there are 2-3 years old. I'm more concerned about what happens come year 8 or year 10.

Granted, it could be awesome, we don't know yet. But when you compare a fancy automated part with unknown long-term reliability to a passive manual sway-bar disconnect... the choice in my head is clear—I'm going with the passive component.

THAT SAID, I bought a Badlands. I didn't want to buy a Badlands, but the Sasquatch pricing on the manual transmission didn't make sense at all, and my preferred build (Black Diamond Sasquatch) would have been more expensive than a Badlands. So I went with Badlands. So far so good, but we'll see.

OP
OP
Neverowneda4x4

Neverowneda4x4

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My major reservation is that it is a non-user serviceable hydromechanical component that has not been "battle tested" yet. So far it seems okay. But the oldest Broncos out there are 2-3 years old. I'm more concerned about what happens come year 8 or year 10.

Granted, it could be awesome, we don't know yet. But when you compare a fancy automated part with unknown long-term reliability to a passive manual sway-bar disconnect... the choice in my head is clear—I'm going with the passive component.

THAT SAID, I bought a Badlands. I didn't want to buy a Badlands, but the Sasquatch pricing on the manual transmission didn't make sense at all, and my preferred build (Black Diamond Sasquatch) would have been more expensive than a Badlands. So I went with Badlands. So far so good, but we'll see.
Good point. I have the same thing.

Happycampinman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

I’m not going to deny that all the electronic components of these newer vehicles haven’t been battle tested yet, but engineering has come a long way and electronics have been tested and proven to be reliable in many other applications that are more severe than automotive parts. Time will tel, but I think over time they will prove very reliable.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It give just a bit more articulation when it is useful, and gives a bit smoother ride on the in-between.
Bingo! And that second part is key. For me, 80% of the time I have my stabilizer bar disconnected, all four of my tires are still touching the ground, but the trail ride is soooo much smoother.

If you enjoy being tossed around inside the cabin at low speeds while running a rough trail, then by all means keep it connected. Otherwise, enjoy the Bronco's soft trail-tuned suspension at low speeds, and let it reconnect by itself when the speed gets over 20 mph.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like it. Makes trail riding better in some instances. Plus the extra front end flex.

Think most who say it’s not needed didn’t get it on their build.

When everyone else is in 4 low I’m usually in 4 high with disco and rear locker. Im finding out front locker only being available in low is pretty much useless for me.

Guess it comes down to your off road style.
Sponsored