Sponsored

How are you guys storing your hard tops?

Scott1911

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Beaz

First Edition
First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ford Bronco How are you guys storing your hard tops? 65482507140__6624E0AA-C779-4F4E-982E-649449CBADD5.JPG

Bought the parts today. Planning to use a manual 3:1 ratio crank, with its chain connected to a dowel that hosts 4 cables which will go up the wall, across the ceiling and down to the 4 corners of the top via pulleys. I see a lot of pictures of people just opening the back window & running straps along the underside of the top. I'm probably overthinking it, but I'm worried about eventually wearing/damaging the weather stripping of the back glass. My plan is to use the 4' 1x4s in the picture as sleds which the top will sit on (utilizing the existing bolt holes on the MIC), and utilizing eye bolts inserted on the planks as carabiner connection points for the cables from the roof.

I'm starting construction tomorrow, I'll update with the finished project. Wish me luck!
" I'm worried about eventually wearing/damaging the weather stripping of the back glass"

yes, and the front too, I'm planning to put some corner guards at each strap to address this. I think the straps through the top front to back is a bit better than underneath, unless you do as you plan, to use a stretcher underneath.

Tychapman

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
yes, and the front too, I'm planning to put some corner guards at each strap to address this.
Could you share a bit more detail or a pic of the corner guards you have in mind? My ego is not above trashing that part of my plan if yours makes more sense! šŸ˜…

The Beaz

First Edition
First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Could you share a bit more detail or a pic of the corner guards you have in mind? My ego is not above trashing that part of my plan if yours makes more sense! šŸ˜…
Sure...I have a few of these guards, and will cut them to fit at the strap locations

PXL_20220212_022325675.jpg

The Beaz

First Edition
First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

A few up close shots of the straps, the straps at the glass are a bit better at not mucking with the seal. I've tried different positions at the front, will likely move them to the flat section instead of tucked beside the bracket

PXL_20220212_022437089.jpg

PXL_20220212_022428660.jpg

PXL_20220212_022415455.jpg

Sponsored

Koz44

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My ceiling is only at 7'-9 1/2", here's a shot with the bronco underneath. It'll be a bit tight for driving & maneuvering under to put the top back on (will be a bit better with non-sas), but storing is no problem.

Ford Bronco How are you guys storing your hard tops? PXL_20220212_022415455
Your Bronco looks great!

How was the Bestop install?

Chairs

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a hoist and pulley system for my old Wrangler Unlimited top, made specifically for it. Worked great. Some of the pics Iā€™m seeing in this thread are going to warp the tops.
Can you share more info about your solution? Or describe the fault that will cause the warping, or the design aspect that prevents it?

The Beaz

First Edition
First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Your Bronco looks great!

How was the Bestop install?
Thanks! It's been a great ride so far! The top install was easy, about an hour, the most difficult part was the rear brackets, at about minute 11 in the vid. They hadn't released the install video when I did mine,

My panels did not pull back as easy as they show, I could barley get my hand in, and no way had room for a ratchet and extender. You don't want to drop anything behind that panel, it may never be able to be retrieved.

TXArea51

Big Bend
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD Bronco Big Bend SAS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
A few up close shots of the straps, the straps at the glass are a bit better at not mucking with the seal. I've tried different positions at the front, will likely move them to the flat section instead of tucked beside the bracket

I have my straps going from front to back not on the sides like you have.

Sponsored

patch1103

Wildtrak
First Name
P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU 75th Anniv. Edition
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

https://langeoriginals.com/collections/jl-pre-order-parts/products/hoist-a-top-crank-jl-2018
i have this currently for my JL.. hoping to find some type of adaptation like this that I can use when my Bronco arrives.. works great.. stores above my hood out of the way and is secure.. But i havent seen anything yet. originally bought this for my JK, then had to buy some adaptations for it to fit my JL. (TOPSY products made some great additions) but they dont have anything for Bronco yet..
I suspect i can fabricate some kind or rope/strap system out of the current setup.. but prefer the J Hooks that it uses for security

Harken Hoister is a basic setup that uses ropes it looks like to go under the top.. i'd rather not go that route..
I use the Harken Hoister for my JK top and it works great. Of course, I only need to lift it up a couple of inches, which is all the clearance I have in my garage due to the ceiling height. I havenā€™t tried with my Bronco yet but Iā€™m skeptical that Iā€™ll have enough clearance since my SAS WT is taller.

TXArea51

Big Bend
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD Bronco Big Bend SAS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Noticed you didn''t install the 2x6 boards to the garage ceiling - I guess that's not required?
I found the rafter boards with a stud finder. Iā€™ve had this set up before with my jeep and didnā€™t have any issues.
Sponsored