Sponsored

How comfortable are you in directly negotiating with dealers?

How comfortable are you in directly negotiating with dealers?

• I love haggling and negotiating

Votes: 112 43.8%
  • I know I'll have to eventually, but I'd rather put it off

Votes: 79 30.9%
  • Hopefully I can just tag along with a good deal that a dealer presents or someone else gets

Votes: 58 22.7%
  • I'll just take whatever the dealer offers

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
  • Banned
I've noticed in several threads about pricing, dealer negotiations, etc. that is what appears to be a significant disparity in comfort level among Bronco buyers in having direct conversations with dealers. Examples range from "buyers telling dealers this is what I want and I've got alternatives", to "I've not talked to my dealer at all and am waiting on them", to "I'm just going to piggy back on whatever someone else can find and hopefully I can get in there too".

My perception from reading threads, is that this group skews to the more passive side of negotiating.

So where do you fall?
Sponsored

Steamroller72

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RAM Sport Quad Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Love the process...

Act like a semi-respectful "Bull In A China" shop and make them work for you. People are way too timid when negotiating.

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You aint got enough options. I hate the process, but have no problem doing so. I've walked out before, I'll do it again. I do the research to know what I want to pay and won't pay more than that.

OP
OP

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
  • Banned
You aint got enough options. I hate the process, but have no problem doing so. I've walked out before, I'll do it again. I do the research to know what I want to pay and won't pay more than that.
So what's your walk away price on the Bronco?
- MSRP plus $800 dealer fee
- MSRP and no ADM
- Invoice
- Invoice plus shipping costs
- Invoice less $1,000
- something else?

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I bought my Challenger it took me a month. I’d go in and leave, go back and leave and then took a week. They kept calling me and asking for updates. I eventually made them order me the car I wanted from NM. Then I told them the deal didn’t work and I went home and negotiated over email. Sent them an email of demands and they met them all. Bought a 48K Challenger for $43,500 with tax and fees.

Sponsored

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Go there well-informed. Show them what other dealers have committed to and convince them that if they want your business, they'll have to do better but also be realistic. Be respectful but firm. Be prepared to walk out the door. If they really want your business, they'll follow you.

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You should of seen me negotiating for my 2015 Ford Taurus SEL. What puts you in the best position is not having a vehicle to trade in.

Tortuga353

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve started some loose negotiations with my dealer but waiting for facts and the baseline to firm up. Then I’ll actually start the process. I feel like there are too many unknowns and the early deal is not likely going to be the best deal. IMO

Also, I have no interest in driving or figuring out transport from a long distance buy. I figure I’ll get a good enough deal within a few hours.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I negotiate corporate leases for a living and generally like to argue so I’m comfortable as long as I have my facts straight or at least act like it ?

perfectburrito

Badlands
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Sasquatch, 2.7AT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldn't say I "love" negotiations, but it's part of my job, so I'm not afraid to mix it up. Bear in mind, it's part of a car salesman's job too. There's nothing you will say or ask that they haven't dealt with before.

I would rather ask questions and be told to pound sand, than regret my buy or wonder if I could've done better.

Sponsored

Stuckin918

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Colorado ZR2 Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was a Internet Sales Director and salesman for 10 years (8 for Ford) so I have a pretty good idea of what constitutes a good deal. The $2,000 below invoice deal is most likely below D plan on most trim levels except perhaps a fully equipped vehicle.

I am super nice to all the staff because I know how many customers can be entitled pricks. I feel bad for them having to do 10 hours of work sometimes for $100 mini.

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So what's your walk away price on the Bronco?
- MSRP plus $800 dealer fee
- MSRP and no ADM
- Invoice
- Invoice plus shipping costs
- Invoice less $1,000
- something else?
I did the 2k under invoice deal granger has because I know its a set price and I can avoid the haggling BS. If I hadn't come across that deal, I'd probably be haggling for something around invoice, maybe a little over since the bronco isn't exactly gonna be sitting on dealer lots.

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm 50 years old, and have bought more cars than I care to think about - I hate buying from dealers and hate the negotiation process with a passion. I'm not good at it - and part of that is because I never really understood the difference between "invoice", "MSRP", and the whole "ADM" process. This forum and all the time we've had to discuss it, has helped me better understand. I've been fortunate with my past couple new car purchases, that I've had an 'in' with the dealership due to the fact that I'm an Automotive Photographer and end up making some really good contacts in the automotive circles.

wolfpackinva

Black Diamond
First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Focus, '08 E350, '13 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I hate it, but it is a necessary evil. I started my haggling 3 months ago. I suspect I'm not done as I'll have to fend off bullshit fees and add ons.

That said, I have learned the art of walking away from the table. Being able to move my reservation provides some leverage at the table.
Sponsored