Sponsored

How do you guys think MGV will hold up over Time VS Leather ? ? ? ?

2fast4u

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500 and Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How do you think the MGV will hold up over time? Will it get Snag from keys and dogs nails and things like that?

I have had leather in all my cars for years and it hold up great. But seeing that the badlands comes with MGV I would like to go that way if its as good or better then leather.
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Comparing it to the leather in our '19 Ranger Lariat, i'll say it should hold up drastically better.

Ford's leather is not really leather per-say. More of some sort of plastic pretending to be leather.

Vinyl has held up in boats for decades now, no reason to assume anything otherwise for automotive grade.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Comparing it to the leather in our '19 Ranger Lariat, i'll say it should hold up drastically better.

Ford's leather is not really leather per-say. More of some sort of plastic pretending to be leather.

Vinyl has held up in boats for decades now, no reason to assume anything otherwise for automotive grade.
Totally this. We have leather in our Mustang and I can't tell it's not vinyl and not in a good way. The assumption is that the MGV seats can take a bath and be fine. I think we'll find out eventually if that's true. So far I don't we even seen on of the flannel boyz pour water on one.

Sponsored

Six Miles South

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

It might be protein leather, which is what we used to call pleather. When it ages, it ages poorly. Usually flakes off in little bits.

Brownie

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, 1981 Trans Am, 1972 Austin Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The new vinyl's, particularly MGV are so much better wearing than leather. And most cant even tell the difference either.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It is a concern... The Leather/vinyl mix (which is not MGV) seems like it might start to break down and either crack, flake, or wrinkle in time. I'm sure it has come a long ways, but we are talking about a company that is not painting axles, leaving out hard top and fog light wiring, excluding cup holders, and who knows what else to save a little money. To think they are using the best leather/vinyl for their seats is .... Well you decide but I'm taking a best guess with what I know.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Like people have said the leather in ford vehicles is not real leather like you would see in expensive audis or Mercedes Benz it’s called leatherette I bealve fake leather but get the job done. I’m used to using leather conditioner to keep my seats in great shape for marine grade vinyl what should one use I see aerospace makes a marine grade vinyl spray any ideas what to use

Sponsored

1st4rd

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like people have said the leather in ford vehicles is not real leather like you would see in expensive audis or Mercedes Benz it’s called leatherette I bealve fake leather but get the job done. I’m used to using leather conditioner to keep my seats in great shape for marine grade vinyl what should one use I see aerospace makes a marine grade vinyl spray any ideas what to use
Don't use 303 Protectant on the seat surface without testing it someplace else. You will most likely slide all over the place- that stuff is amazing but real slippery.

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You need punctuation first. :oops:

ScrunchFace

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If Ford's leather is not high quality, what makes people think their vinyl will be? Honestly curious as I've never owned a Ford.

Have any of their cars had 'good' leather...or 'good' vinyl?

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Having owned several vehicles with leather and several vehicles with vinyl (VW calls theirs "leatherette") over many hundreds of thousands of miles, I can tell you from experience the vinyl holds up FAR better than real leather. VW's leatherette is my favorite automotive seating surface. My previous VW (Jetta Sportwagen) had 120k miles on the clock and the seating still looked like brand new. Ditto my current Jetta Sportwagen with 50k miles. The stuff looks good, feels good, and is nearly indestructible.

My 2016 Durango with leather? Not so great. My Honda Pilot's leather was terrible. Frankly, the grade of leather you get in any Regular Joe-priced automobile is not good.

Mass-market automotive-grade leather stretches and buckles (ie the permanent buttcheek indentations), it cracks, it peels/flakes, it wears poorly. You have to keep it conditioned. It's easily damaged by water/weather. The dye from the seats can stain your clothing, or conversely, the dye from your clothing can stain your leather seats.

I would choose high-quality vinyl seating over leather in an automobile 10 times out of 10 if offered. At least within the price range of vehicles I'm able to afford. And I certainly would never choose leather for an off-road vehicle or a vehicle where the top comes off. The elements are not kind to leather seating.

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If Ford's leather is not high quality, what makes people think their vinyl will be?
Because high-quality vinyl is much, much cheaper than high-quality leather.

If you want high-quality leather seating, you'll have to get a Porsche or something else in that upper-income-shopper bracket. You'll not find it in a Ford or a Honda or a Toyota.

But you can find high-quality vinyl seating in a Volkswagen.
Sponsored