Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Bronco order is submitted, love the outdoors but have never done any real off-roading. I want to learn the basics but don't have any friends into it and have no idea how to break into the culture. Just reading all these threads there is definitely some shyness in admitting lack of experience for fear of noob-shaming or whatever but how is a guy supposed to learn? I know there are some outfits that do tours and whatnot but not sure if that's appropriate for a beginner. I'd prefer to just learn by doing but would hope to know the basics to avoid getting stuck on my own or have stupid mistakes lead to unnecessary damage....don't even know how to find local trails or know if what looks like a trail is a trail....Any advice for a complete rookie??
Sponsored

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Join a Local 4wd club. Most people that love four wheeling enough to be in a club will welcome you with open arms and teach you all about it. At least my experience

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hit up one of the Off Rodeos to get your Ford offered off-road starter course. Then look around in your area and see if there are any off-road clubs. Any club worth the time will welcome and show the ropes to newcomers. It's how we keep this hobby alive.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would suggest seeing if there is an off road club in your area and join them. One thing about "experts" is they seem to love to show newbs how much they know...

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Off road club.

Sponsored

Outbound Exploration

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chevy Sonic Hatchback RS, Looking to upgrade to Bronco*
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco order is submitted, love the outdoors but have never done any real off-roading. I want to learn the basics but don't have any friends into it and have no idea how to break into the culture. Just reading all these threads there is definitely some shyness in admitting lack of experience for fear of noob-shaming or whatever but how is a guy supposed to learn? I know there are some outfits that do tours and whatnot but not sure if that's appropriate for a beginner. I'd prefer to just learn by doing but would hope to know the basics to avoid getting stuck on my own or have stupid mistakes lead to unnecessary damage....don't even know how to find local trails or know if what looks like a trail is a trail....Any advice for a complete rookie??

Plenty of youtube videos, and threads on here that provide great information. Definitely search on either platform!

For trails - youtube, gaia gps, onxoffroad, amazon (purchase trail books for your area or other states etc)

Recovery gear - youtube, this forum, or google searching can provide you with loads of info on what might be useful and a must have when going offroad (even if they're simple dirt roads)

To "increase your level" - go outdoors, get familiar with your rig and the different types of terrain. Test out your gear (even if not needed on the trail you're on) so you get comfortable and used to using them. Also never go alone if possible as anything can happen. Bring a friend or someone with a rig that can recover you if things get dicey!

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would suggest seeing if there is an off road club in your area and join them. One thing about "experts" is they seem to love to show newbs how much they know...
Yes and always make them show you how easy it is with their rig and not risking yours, lol

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When i had my Jeep, i was in the same situation. Weirdly enough i sold some of my old jeep parts and meeting some awesome people that I’m still friends with til this day. We’ve had Numerous adventures and wrench sessions. Now we no longer have jeeps but we still all hang out and I’m hoping to meet some amazing Bronco owners soon! See you in the trails!!!

OP
OP
Maineah

Maineah

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for all the advice so far. I've been looking around youtube and doing some basic google searches for trails but, being in southern Maine, I have a feeling most trails are just locally known and not on many maps. I'll google search for some local off-road clubs and see any will welcome a newbie.

If anyone is in a club active in southern Maine or the Seacoast NH area let me know!

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Come on up to the mountains of Colorado. We can run you onto some trails and practice recovery techniques! :)

Sponsored

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I am part of Colorado 4x4 Rescue and Recovery. We usually have some pretty good video and photos on the facebook and website that helps illustrate proper recovery techniques.

https://www.facebook.com/CO4x4RnR

There are also off road training organizations such as on-trail-training that can help you get more comfortable wheeling and recovering yourself.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Easiest thing is to head up to "The County" and try, if you dare, some of the logging roads. Stuff like that should get you somewhere at least.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In addition to the excellent advice above, consider taking a wilderness first aid course. Hope to never need to apply what you’ve learned, but great peace of mind knowing what you may need to deal with, and how.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I remember having the same feeling when I first got into 'performance' cars. I found a couple local car groups that had meets and just started....showing up. the rest is history. Some of my best friends now are people I met in parking lots while bullshitting about cars 15 years ago.