mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Dont sweat it everyone has to start somewhere and nobody knows everything.

You will make some mistakes and have great stories👍

Misterbear

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Black Diamond, Jeep Wrangler X
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Do an internet search of "Maine Overlanding" to start. You'll find a ton of info for easy trails and groups in your state. Overlanding groups are pretty welcoming to all types of vehicles and levels of experience. Good for networking. Many vehicles people use will be driven to work the next day.

https://www.northeastoverland.net/

OP
OP
Maineah

Maineah

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do an internet search of "Maine Overlanding" to start. You'll find a ton of info for easy trails and groups in your state. Overlanding groups are pretty welcoming to all types of vehicles and levels of experience. Good for networking. Many vehicles people use will be driven to work the next day.

https://www.northeastoverland.net/
I found out about a similar group yesterday - northeast adventure company - and they have a ton of NH, VT and ME videos on youtube. I'll check this link and see what they're all about. Thanks!

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also not sure everywhere else, but in FL, if you get stuck, and someone bails you out, you gain a friend 😂😂 so maybe try getting stuck? 😂😂
When I saw your first pic, I thought, “How TF did he get stuck so close to the start of the trail?”, but the following pics clarified things a bit - it’s like you guys are doing parkour with your Jeeps! Nothing like that in my parts, but it looks like a ton of fun close to civilization.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You have already mastered the most important step. Display humility and a show a self deprecating sense of humor. You will get all the support you could ever want.

Now the guys that think they already know it all and tell others that fact when others are far more experienced...will treat you like an Auburn fan in Tuscaloosa.

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When I saw your first pic, I thought, “How TF did he get stuck so close to the start of the trail?”, but the following pics clarified things a bit - it’s like you guys are doing parkour with your Jeeps! Nothing like that in my parts, but it looks like a ton of fun close to civilization.
FL is flat so people always make fun of us because there are no “hills” or mountains”, but there’s a few “off road “ parks (kinda like Disney for grown ups with 4x4s) where you can “test your skill”...and there’s also some federal parks (some you need a permit to enter) with some great trails and amazing scenery. Then there are the beaches where you can pull right up to the water...some states you have to park and carry all your beach gear to the beach 😂😂. Noob or not, you will find people. Hopefully they are not A-holes and “Mr. Know it all”...met a few of those as well 😂😂

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Bronco order is submitted, love the outdoors but have never done any real off-roading. I want to learn the basics but don't have any friends into it and have no idea how to break into the culture. Just reading all these threads there is definitely some shyness in admitting lack of experience for fear of noob-shaming or whatever but how is a guy supposed to learn? I know there are some outfits that do tours and whatnot but not sure if that's appropriate for a beginner. I'd prefer to just learn by doing but would hope to know the basics to avoid getting stuck on my own or have stupid mistakes lead to unnecessary damage....don't even know how to find local trails or know if what looks like a trail is a trail....Any advice for a complete rookie??
When I bought my Jeep, my wife gave me a book (DeLong, Four Wheel Freedom). I read that and then went down to Uwharrie and applied what I had learned with a buddy who had just bought an FJ Cruiser. Also, Depending on where you are there are probably trails. Try looking for youtube videos of those trails. Basically youtube is your friend and tutor. I think the club idea is good too.

Based on your username, if you are in Maine, those logging roads are a gold mine of adventure. I would consider limb risers (the wires between the trail sights and the roof rails) to help keep the alders off the hood. I live in NC now, but all my boyhood 1970s Bronco adventure memories are backwoods Maine. (Have been up with my JK as well.) Endless opportunities, but bring bug repellent. :LOL:

Charky

Wildtrak
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A7
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here's a link to the US Forest Service Travel Management and Off Highway Vehicle Program:

https://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/ohv/ohv_maps.shtml

I didn't see anything specific to Maine, but there were maps for NH and NY. Anyway, another resource.

As @Dads_bronze_bronco mentioned, just find some of those old logging roads and build up your experience a little at a time while enjoying the woods!

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First off it’s newb, you noob. Secondly, I don’t know, I don’t know the first thing about off roading lol. I’ll proudly exclaim I’m a noob.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Join a Local 4wd club. Most people that love four wheeling enough to be in a club will welcome you with open arms and teach you all about it. At least my experience
^^^^^ this

The only people who noob shame are 17 year olds that have been off roading for an entire 6 months. Everyone else knows that this is a very fun experience and we want to share it with everyone who will listen.

Just a word of caution though... You're going to make new friends doing this. And your old friends are going to want to get in on the action. You have now doubled your friend count. Hope you have space in your phone.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Btw, being an “expert” does not relieve you of getting into “situations”. This is my son’s XJ. He’s a very experienced off roader.
Ford Bronco How does a Noob un-Noob himself? 5E973608-797B-4751-992F-7A5EF6425835

sometimes things just happen.

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
As others have said find a local club, check for club stickers on Jeeps or find a muddy truck at the gas station and strike up a conversation, or just google it. And depending on your state, some are very wheeling friendly and others not so much so make sure to check up on local laws before just going out and wheeling. Would suck to hit the powerlines, get stuck and have DEC Ranger nail you for trespassing and ultimately wrack up a monster tow bill.

Like here in NY, state land is essentially off limits to vehicles, basically locked into seasonal marked roads. So out here to go real "wheeling" you need to know people with property where you can just go nuts. Not sure how Maine is but it's good to know the laws before diving in. I've known many of people who got stuck and busted for being places they shouldn't have been.

Then from there you can learn the ins and outs of wheeling, recovery and really get to know your vehicle. And even make some new friends at the same time.
Sponsored