First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Btw, being an “expert” does not relieve you of getting into “situations”. This is my son’s XJ. He’s a very experienced off roader.
5E973608-797B-4751-992F-7A5EF6425835.jpeg

sometimes things just happen.
At least the view is nice while ya wait for spring to thaw that XJ out. :D
Sponsored

Charky

Wildtrak
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A7
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@Hey19 that brings back some white knuckle memories of driving on county highways during blowing snow storms when you couldn't tell where the edge of the road ended and the ditch began!

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Hey19 that brings back some white knuckle memories of driving on county highways during blowing snow storms when you couldn't tell where the edge of the road ended and the ditch began!
Yeah I think my boy found that out. :ROFLMAO:@Dillhole that's a good point, try not to do serious wheeling alone. He was with others and used one of their trucks as an anchor to winch out.

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Jeep Patriot, 06 BMW F650GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've known many of people who got stuck and busted for being places they shouldn't have been.
I ended up getting stuck once years ago on the wrong side of a road and had to give the state a few dollars. If I had been stuck the two days earlier I would have been fine but the area closed to all traffic on a specific date. Know the local and state rules! Also applies to hunting and fishing.

OP
OP
Maineah

Maineah

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

First off it’s newb, you noob. Secondly, I don’t know, I don’t know the first thing about off roading lol. I’ll proudly exclaim I’m a noob.
Ford Bronco How does a Noob un-Noob himself? 1612827804924

Which ever way you spell it - I don't know how to drive trucks off-road!

Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hit up Facebook or meet up 4x4 clubs. Ask to ride along, offer gas or lunch. Learn by riding in someone else’s 4x4. Forums are cliquish, 4x4 clubs are not. Put it out there you want to learn and peeps will help you out.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bronco order is submitted, love the outdoors but have never done any real off-roading. I want to learn the basics but don't have any friends into it and have no idea how to break into the culture. Just reading all these threads there is definitely some shyness in admitting lack of experience for fear of noob-shaming or whatever but how is a guy supposed to learn? I know there are some outfits that do tours and whatnot but not sure if that's appropriate for a beginner. I'd prefer to just learn by doing but would hope to know the basics to avoid getting stuck on my own or have stupid mistakes lead to unnecessary damage....don't even know how to find local trails or know if what looks like a trail is a trail....Any advice for a complete rookie??
When it starts snowing, throw a tow strap and shovel in your Bronco, and go out looking for cute nurses stuck in ditches. You'll both have fun figuring it out.

Sponsored

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for all the advice so far. I've been looking around youtube and doing some basic google searches for trails but, being in southern Maine, I have a feeling most trails are just locally known and not on many maps. I'll google search for some local off-road clubs and see any will welcome a newbie.

If anyone is in a club active in southern Maine or the Seacoast NH area let me know!
Look for fire roads. Good way to tool around and gain some experirence.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As @Dads_bronze_bronco mentioned, just find some of those old logging roads and build up your experience a little at a time while enjoying the woods!
Second that. I certainly am not a rock crawler, but I agree that Forest Service roads and logging roads are a good way to learn. Each time I camp, I go on slightly rougher roads. One of my favorite parts of camping is exploring the web of dirt roads in the National Forests.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Which ever way you spell it - I don't know how to drive trucks off-road!

Psssh. Point your truck at the edge of pavement and keep going when it gets there.

Seriously though, find an offroad trail, easier is probably better at first, and drive. If you find an obstacle, get out and look at it. Imagine where the tires would go, check for anything on that path that might stick up enough to stop you from moving forward, perhaps watch a few other vehicles go over it if you have the chance.

Then decide if those variables fall under your risk tolerance. If they do, give it a try. If they don't, don't be afraid or ashamed to turn around. As you you repeat those steps, you'll find yourself more comfortable with harder obstacles.

And the most important thing to remember, the truck is more capable than you are and will be for quite a long time.
Sponsored