Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So I used to do all of my washing by hand, but the past 15+ years I've lived in places where doing it at home was difficult, and the self serve hand wash facilities were...not great.

Now I have a house and my own driveway and my own Bronco that I just recently purchased. I take it out every couple of days, and given the terrain nearby and the weather recently, I come back with my rails and doors covered in mud almost every time. I don't expect my vehicle to look perfect all of the time, but at the same time, I don't want to leave mud and dirt that could be harmful to the car's finish long term.

How often should I take the time to clean off the mud and grime? Every time? And if that's the case, does that mean I need to do a full hand wash (not necessarily deep detailing, but more than just blasting off the mud with a pressure washer), with car soap, a soft glove, and a wipe down with a chamois or water blade?

I'm not looking to overdo it, but the couple of rinses I've done are starting to leave water spots something fierce.

(I tried looking for answers to these specific questions before I posted BTW, so I apologize if I'm reposting here.)

Ford Bronco How often to wash Bronco? IMG_4877
Ford Bronco How often to wash Bronco? IMG_4889
Ford Bronco How often to wash Bronco? IMG_4895
Ford Bronco How often to wash Bronco? IMG_4910
Ford Bronco How often to wash Bronco? IMG_4914
Ford Bronco How often to wash Bronco? IMG_4915
Ford Bronco How often to wash Bronco? IMG_4916
Sponsored

Last edited:

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With that much mud/dirt, I'd only wash it if you're 100% sure you have the time and energy to do it right, because otherwise you're going to introduce swirl marks on the paint if that something that bothers you.

You won't really do any damage to the car by leaving the mud/dirt on there, but it'll just be harder to give it a thorough wash the longer you leave it on there.

If I were you I'd:
  • Give it a good, thorough wash
  • Apply some time of coating (like a ceramic coating or Meguiars Ceramic Wax which is easier to apply/reapply)
  • Wash it every 1-3 months, making sure to get as much dirt off as possible before scrubbing/drying
The coating should help with the water marks too

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I wash and wax (spray ceramic) weekly during spring/summer/fall and once at beginning of winter, with a water rinse as needed to get salt off.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Apply a high quality ceramic or have it done, not a hybrid wax, then buy a $99 pressure washer like a Greenworks 1700 and just spray it off as often as you please.
With the ceramic, virtually all the dirt/mud will come with just a pressure spray.
DO NOT go crazy on high psi washers.
For an automotive paint, the one I mentioned above is perfect.

Get a high quality mitt and an automotive specific soap, Harbour Freight has Meguires hyper-wash that is very well loved and it is cheap in the 1 gallon bottle, maybe give it a good wash once or twice a month.
Ceramic the wheels as well, it really helps!
Again, most stuff will spray right off.

Bonus points, get a rv inline filter for a spot free rinse.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Ta...O8n-UacyCGjMbEckUGcQ46YyMkKuIU10aAjiDEALw_wcB

The thought is, if the ceramic is allowing virtually all of the abrasives to spray off so easily, you could probably mitt wash as often as you like.
Get quality microfiber towels and mitts to reduce the chance of swirl marks.

Bronc6g22

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6, Tacoma TRDOR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wash mine (maybe) once a month. Area 51 seems to hold up pretty well. Helps to stop by a self-wash after wheeling to at least get most dirt/mud off before it dries. Always soak and rinse before hand-washing.

Sponsored

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

what others have said
get a good ceramic coat on there
I power wash often and hand wash when I have time and energy to do it right
washing with a mitt is fine just be sure to get majority of the dirt off first - then wash a panel and rinse the mitt off before moving on. I don't use the brush at the self serve because I have no idea what the guy before did with the brush. My family has been in the wash business since the 60's, the things we have seen done at a self serve is crazy lol
Some rollover washes (rollover = where your truck does not move but the equipment goes around it) have a great underwash with no top wash. This is great to help get the bottom clean

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're supposed to wash these things?

Jeez, next you'll expect some kind of fluid exchange just to keep it running. What a dinosaur!

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I typically just a normal 2-bucket wash and some detailing spray as a rinse agent. No real set schedule, but here is the rough estimates:
  • For normal everyday driving, once every 2-4 weeks.
  • After a 4x4 trip I'll wash it as soon as it is practical once I return.
  • During winter it typically ends up being once every week as weather allows. The the alphabet soup of DOT agencies in the northeast like to turn the roads into salt flats at any minor hint of bad weather.
Every three months I'll do a complete thorough detail inside and out. Ceramic boost, UV protection, etc. etc.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I tend to wash mine when it gets dirty.

By hand in the warmer months and via the touchless car was in the colder months or when I am short on time.

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My Bronco is 8 months old and I’ve only washed it once. And that time was because I got a free token, otherwise I would be a zero washes. I don’t care. I live in deep snow, mud, pine needles, I hunt, I fish, my skis are back there. I took my back seat out.

I’ve also never vacuumed my interior. I don’t care about that either.

Sponsored

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Apply a high quality ceramic or have it done, not a hybrid wax, then buy a $99 pressure washer like a Greenworks 1700 and just spray it off as often as you please.
With the ceramic, virtually all the dirt/mud will come with just a pressure spray.
DO NOT go crazy on high psi washers.
For an automotive paint, the one I mentioned above is perfect.

Get a high quality mitt and an automotive specific soap, Harbour Freight has Meguires hyper-wash that is very well loved and it is cheap in the 1 gallon bottle, maybe give it a good wash once or twice a month.
Ceramic the wheels as well, it really helps!
Again, most stuff will spray right off.

Bonus points, get a rv inline filter for a spot free rinse.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Ta...O8n-UacyCGjMbEckUGcQ46YyMkKuIU10aAjiDEALw_wcB

The thought is, if the ceramic is allowing virtually all of the abrasives to spray off so easily, you could probably mitt wash as often as you like.
Get quality microfiber towels and mitts to reduce the chance of swirl marks.
^ nailed it! The only things I would add are a foam cannon (attached to the power washer) and drying via a MetroVac or leaf blower and finish with a quick detail spray that is compatible with the Ceramic application.

Last edited:

coachoates

Raptor
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It’s a different price point but full PPF. I was skeptical. I PPF’ed all my cars after doing my bronco. Amazing. Always looks brand new. It’s expensive. But I want a pristine looking ride and have the confidence it will look as good as brand new always. And it does.

If PPF is not in the budget. Definitely ceramic coat. I put Graphene on my PPF. Get an electric pressure washer and a foam canon. I was also skeptical on those items…a believer now.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ceramic coated mine awhile ago. I use a pressure washer with a soap cannon to soap it up real good. Then I rinse it off. If I have time I soap it then wipe it with a wash glove, then rinse it. Dry it with a electric leaf blower and drive on.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i blast mine with a power washer just enough to remove all the mud from the undercarriage, frame and wheels.

i don't like leaving mud attached and promoting rust underneath

DEC

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 640, Mustang Bullitt, Mazda 3, Honda Accord,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ll do mine the day of or day after off-roading . Not sure if you had this issue, but I’ve noticed a few chips in the paint between the door and body from closing the door on crap that works its way in between when it gets muddy.
Sponsored