First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford gives the dealers a labor rate of $120/hour. It's a shame there are dealers that don't think that's good enough, especially considering Ford allows a pretty generous amount of time for the work. The keypad, for example, is allowed 20 minutes.
Sponsored

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I found another great place to install the pad and have it hidden is on the inside of the gas door.
The keypad was one of the better accessories I bought. I love mine. The fewer things to carry around like a key fob the better.

I also keep mine on the inside of the gas door. It's the perfect location.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The keypad was one of the better accessories I bought. I love mine. The fewer things to carry around like a key fob the better.

I also keep mine on the inside of the gas door. It's the perfect location.
The keypads are nice when you want to get into the vehicle but don't happen to have a key at the time, but aren't you still carrying a key if you actually need to drive anywhere?

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The keypads are nice when you want to get into the vehicle but don't happen to have a key at the time, but aren't you still carrying a key if you actually need to drive anywhere?
Nope. Chuck it into a faraday sleeve in the center console. Then lock the car using the pad. Do your thing. Unlock the car using the pad once you return. Remove fob from sleeve. Start and go.

The pad is smart in that the system ignores the key fob in the car once you use the pad to lock up even if I didn't put it in a faraday sleeve.

I did this the two dozen days I skied this year, date nights, attending sport events... all sorts of good reasons.

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nope. Chuck it into a faraday sleeve in the center console. Then lock the car using the pad. Do your thing. Unlock the car using the pad once you return. Remove fob from sleeve. Start and go.

The pad is smart in that the system ignores the key fob in the car once you use the pad to lock up even if I didn't put it in a faraday sleeve.

I did this the two dozen days I skied this year, date nights, attending sport events... all sorts of good reasons.
OK, just as long as nobody sees you put it in there or knows it's there. The keypad is just a 7 minute delay from someone being able to drive off with your Bronco since the key is inside.

OP
OP
RagnarKon

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OK, just as long as nobody sees you put it in there or knows it's there. The keypad is just a 7 minute delay from someone being able to drive off with your Bronco since the key is inside.
Have be extremely lucky to get it under 7 minutes. The keypad deactivates after 35 incorrect key presses. BUT, the older keypads... yes... you could effectively brute force it. They never deactivated and there was only 3100 combinations, it was pretty easy to get through. (Especially if you use a de Bruijn sequence.)

If we're being realistic... on the Bronco with it's frameless windows it's going to be far easier and faster just to get a small airbag between the window and the weatherstripping, then just use a rod to hit the door unlock button on the door itself. 🤷‍♂️

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have be extremely lucky to get it under 7 minutes. The keypad deactivates after 35 incorrect key presses. BUT, the older keypads... yes... you could effectively brute force it. They never deactivated and there was only 3100 combinations, it was pretty easy to get through. (Especially if you use a de Bruijn sequence.)

If we're being realistic... on the Bronco with it's frameless windows it's going to be far easier and faster just to get a small airbag between the window and the weatherstripping, then just use a rod to hit the door unlock button on the door itself. 🤷‍♂️
It's the key in the car part that is the weak link.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You're either the type of person that loves the keyless entry keypad, or the type that rarely uses it. But now that it is no longer available from the factory, seemed like a good time to record a how-to video in case you want to buy one and add it yourself.

Note that you will need FDRS in order to complete the steps, and because of that, for most people it will be more economical to simply have your dealer do it. But in case you wanted to tackle it yourself, or if you just wanted to see what the dealer actually does... now you have all the info.

Keypads can be purchased from your dealer's parts counter or HERE on Ford Accessories.

1710343656038-tf.png

ps. If anyone in the New England area wants to have a keypad programmed for their Bronco, feel free to PM me.
Thanks for the write-up, @RagnarKon. It's nice to be shown how this works, and for some to know it's available. When I was young, I would occasionally lock myself out of My vehicle, so began to use a magnetic key holder to hide a key. When Ford started with these unlock buttons a couple of decades ago, no more magnet key! What a great invention! Now, we can also use the phone's Ford App to lock/unlock & start (but not drive), so the buttons are now a backup . . . But when I want to lock my phone and keys in the car while at the beach, the Unlock Button is an excellent backup alternate. I read people saying they don't need it anymore. However, I consider this a backup tool for entry, even if rarely used. I can also give the code to a family member who wants to get something out of the car. Great invention, whether used much or not.

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
it should have been embedded in the pillar vertically, like many other Ford products. The stick on thing sucks and look tacky. If you do it after order, it’s not painted so it looks terrible on the door. Now that these are DIO, are they all now black and unpainted.

Ford Bronco How to install & program a keyless entry keypad on your Bronco IMG_1558

Sponsored

jayr1959

Big Bend
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK 2DR 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I purchased the 2 day FDRS license to set up my key pad and do the window drop upgrade. I added the license. I connect to the vehicle but I am getting an error message when I try to login.
Cannot reach FDRS Servers. Would you like to run in offline mode. The network pass is good. I have internet. I am not sure what else to try.

Anyone encounter this error?

OP
OP
RagnarKon

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I purchased the 2 day FDRS license to set up my key pad and do the window drop upgrade. I added the license. I connect to the vehicle but I am getting an error message when I try to login.
Cannot reach FDRS Servers. Would you like to run in offline mode. The network pass is good. I have internet. I am not sure what else to try.

Anyone encounter this error?
Try to log into the Motorcraft website (just in a normal web browser) and see if it’ll let you log in.

jayr1959

Big Bend
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I logged into Rotorcraft ok but it does not show me having any subscriptions. I used my helm user name and password for the purchase.. Maybe that is the issue.

jayr1959

Big Bend
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Still no luck. I show no license on my motocraft account using the email and password I set up. If I login using the helm user name and password the license is there.
Sponsored