Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
  • Banned
In light of the Maverick reveal I wish Ford adopted a similar approach for the Bronco and offered a high MPG option. I just spent a week driving all over the Colorado mountains in a 4-banger Jeep Compass including Independence Pass, Pikes Peek and I25 and I70. Plenty of power, I was coming up on everyone! The Bronco is not out of line with other 4WD trucks, but there is a lot of room for improvement when it comes to MPG. Not all us are obsessed with power and zero to 60 times.
Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In light of the Maverick reveal I wish Ford adopted a similar approach for the Bronco and offered a high MPG option. I just spent a week driving all over the Colorado mountains in a 4-banger Jeep Compass including Independence Pass, Pikes Peek and I25 and I70. Plenty of power, I was coming up on everyone! The Bronco is not out of line with other 4WD trucks, but there is a lot of room for improvement when it comes to MPG. Not all us are obsessed with power and zero to 60 times.
It will happen, just give it time.

nc-hiker

Black Diamond
First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, 2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It might happen but I question whether the gains in fuel economy will be worth added weight of the batteries. Look at the Toyota Tundra hybrid that is coming out just now. That's a totally brand new design and you have to give up the underseat storage and it nets you +2 mpg.

Broncenstein

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It might happen but I question whether the gains in fuel economy will be worth added weight of the batteries. Look at the Toyota Tundra hybrid that is coming out just now. That's a totally brand new design and you have to give up the underseat storage and it nets you +2 mpg.
plus the multi-thousand $$ battery swap when the hybrid battery goes out. highly doubting anyone even breaks even with non-hybrid fuel cost when you include that expense.

CashOfLegend

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2009 Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

plus the multi-thousand $$ battery swap when the hybrid battery goes out. highly doubting anyone even breaks even with non-hybrid fuel cost when you include that expense.
Yeah, that $1500 (todays price) in 8 years when it needs replacing is going to be hell.

This is, unfortunately, a very common and very outdated state of EV batteries point of view.

Sponsored

ocbucks1

Outer Banks
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyta
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
From an engineering preceptive it makes no sense. A true band aid. Two drive trains are inefficient and over complex. Does not really do much to solve the fossil fuel issue in the long run. Go EV or forget about it. They might build for a while but destined to be a dinosaur.

Broncenstein

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah, that $1500 (todays price) in 8 years when it needs replacing is going to be hell.

This is, unfortunately, a very common and very outdated state of EV batteries point of view.
according to downesttoyota.com it costs anywhere from 1500-3500 so my comment was still accurate. however lets still use your lowest end of the scale at 1500

$1500 (not including the labor cost or any other subsequent fees) spread over 8 years $187 a year. +2 mpg (plus the increase price of the vehicle for being a hybrid) plus the $187 a year for the upcoming cost of the hybrid battery still equate to saving money? over what period of time?

you seem to have judged my comment (and me) without actually taking in the point I was making. have a good day.

nc-hiker

Black Diamond
First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, 2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

according to downesttoyota.com it costs anywhere from 1500-3500 so my comment was still accurate. however lets still use your lowest end of the scale at 1500

$1500 (not including the labor cost or any other subsequent fees) spread over 8 years $187 a year. +2 mpg (plus the increase price of the vehicle for being a hybrid) plus the $187 a year for the upcoming cost of the hybrid battery still equate to saving money? over what period of time?

you seem to have judged my comment (and me) without actually taking in the point I was making. have a good day.
Hybrids seem to be more beneficial in countries with high fuel costs and in light duty passenger cars. They have their use case but I question if it’s worth it in Tundra’s or Bronco’s. You make more power but you lug more weight around for small gains.

Johnny Bronco CO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ7, CJ8, F250, GT350, Demon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hybrids seem to be more beneficial in countries with high fuel costs and in light duty passenger cars. They have their use case but I question if it’s worth it in Tundra’s or Bronco’s. You make more power but you lug more weight around for small gains.
“Countries with high fuel costs”

That’s the USA now right? Can’t fill up a 30 gallon tank without swiping a credit card twice in southern Colorado. We have a solar system that currently produces about 3-400 kWh excess per month. (I realize most don’t have solar or even that much excess if they do) I’d throw my yet to be delivered bronco in a lake and pay a lot more for an electric version.

Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I became an unexpected owner of a 2010 Fusion Hybrid last summer after the infamous Dirt Mountain episode and then shitshow at my dealership with the ADM.

Anyways-the car has almost 215K miles on it and is almost 13 years old...and I have zero issues with the battery for Hybrid with all that time and mileage.

If you want to know more about Ford's hybrid system we'll see in the Bronco, check out this

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...020/Mediakit/F_150_PowerBoost_Graphic_1_1.pdf

There is a pretty significant fuel savings using the hybrid on the F-150 at least too

Ford Bronco Hybrid Bronco? F-150

The 2.7L in the F-150 does a little better on the highway, but still gets smacked around in around town driving.

I'm wondering if Ford will use the 2.3L and Hybridize it in the Ranger and Bronco down the road...but turbos don't seem to play well with Hybrids.

Bender

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Your math is correct, but I don't believe the battery will need to be replaced in 8 years. I had a BMW X5 PHEV that I drove in all-electric mode for almost all local driving, and after 6 years the battery had no discernable drop in range.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs