Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've been driving manuals since I learned how to drive in the mid '80s, I like driving manuals. Sorry some people have different tastes than you do. Also, don't have several hundred thousand dollars for a resto-mod, and not sure why your brought super cars into the conversation since we are talking about 4x4s. I'm sure most people on this forum can list several, if not dozens, of 2-door manuals that are no longer available new with a factory warrantee. Not looking for a project vehicle, and I am not a millionaire, so Bronco was one of two choices (Wrangler being the other), and I did not want a Jeep.
I support you for sure!
Sponsored

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been driving manuals since I learned how to drive in the mid '80s, I like driving manuals. Sorry some people have different tastes than you do. Also, don't have several hundred thousand dollars for a resto-mod, and not sure why your brought super cars into the conversation since we are talking about 4x4s. I'm sure most people on this forum can list several, if not dozens, of 2-door manuals that are no longer available new with a factory warrantee. Not looking for a project vehicle, and I am not a millionaire, so Bronco was one of two choices (Wrangler being the other), and I did not want a Jeep.
I love manuals. I have 3 pedals in my Bronco. There are many many vehicles with stick shifts and more affordable than a $50k Bronco even with maintenance.

So you want new with stick 2dr 4x4. That leaves the Tacoma Jeep Bronco. Your Best Buy is the Tacoma. Top and doors donā€™t come off. Itā€™s a little cheaper too. And easier to find.

vesuvan

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Chevy Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Do it by myself all the time. Itā€™s not bad.
I was told by the dealer that you have to use 2 people to remove the rear roof panel. Do you think an average size (5'9") person could remove it without torquing or damaging the panel?

• Sad
Reactions: Cat

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It was a nice day out and I've owned my Bronco for almost two months now, so I decided to try removing the roof panels for the three mile drive back home from the grocery store. I didn't have the special storage bag with me, but I have a bunch of towels in the back, so they were still protected. It was easy enough to get them off, since I don't currently have the roof rack installed. For some reason I was surprised that they pretty much block the view out the back.

My opinion of the experience is that it's slightly better than a sun roof, but not nearly as good as a real convertible. The wind buffeting was extreme even at 40 mph. And it wasn't clear to me if it was better with the windows up or down. Once I got home, it was easy enough to re-install them. Just gotta remember driver-side comes off first and goes on last.

I'll be sticking to my Mustang from here on for open air driving. Those roof panels will be saying on the Bronco.

NWrxLZf.jpg
Scott, I suggest you try some more. I take my two front panels off daily, imprompteau, when the weather is nice, and slip them behind the front seat since I rarely have rear seat passengers. Putting them in the rear storage is a designers hallucination, because who doesnt have the back full of stuff! But they slide nicely behind the front seats, you need one coat or blanket to protect the 6" they overlap. I dont experience the buffetting you mention, depending on window position. Try again.

On really nice days, I remove all 3 roof panels and put in garage, assuming it doesnā€™t rain. You also have the option of the front-panel Sunrider some have mentioned, if 2 panels is enough for you. Or buy a Besttop, and make a seasonal change.

Be careful to remember to fasten the top pieces. I forgot once, and it went tumbling down the road.

SmartSelect_20220209-102406_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20220302-214257_Chrome.jpg

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was told by the dealer that you have to use 2 people to remove the rear roof panel. Do you think an average size (5'9") person could remove it without torquing or damaging the panel?
I have replaced my third panel alone, using a blanket to slide it into place. I'm 6'5", non-Sas, and it's a difficult reach. I'll scratch it if I make a habit of it. If you've a lifted vehicle, no, you cant do it. Generally, my son and I each remove a front panel. The rear panel, we each take a side and walk it back and put in garage. Its too bulky for one person, and too high up. IMO

BTW, you can't hurt the panel by twisting or torqueing it, its too stiff and well made. Its just too large and high up to handle alone, unless you don't care about scratching it.

Sponsored

Bigmatt

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If you like the noise of that then try riding without a windshield!
Ford Bronco I removed my roof panels - once is enough 906F8CE3-1FAD-4E75-85B5-1A499C42BDE0

Bigmatt

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
But how you going to make phone calls and keep hair in place driving like that? ;)
Hands free, keep my hands free of my phone. As far as hair, meh keeping the bugs out of my teeth is the hard part, thatā€™s how you can tell Iā€™m happy there lol

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hands free, keep my hands free of my phone. As far as hair, meh keeping the bugs out of my teeth is the hard part, thatā€™s how you can tell Iā€™m happy there lol
I hear ya. Me in my red CJ-7, on a mountain trail in Colorado. Buying a removable top 4x4, and not removing the top, for me is a no-go.

Ford Bronco I removed my roof panels - once is enough P1170761_alt_sm

Last edited:

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For the decades I owned various variations of Jeeps I never once took the doors off nor did I want to. But thatā€™s me. I would take the soft tops off the Jeeps and the mustangs all the time. Simple, quick and awesome. Iā€™ve made the mistake of hrs top Jeeps. Taking them off was a PITA and storing the main section safely was a bear. Plus I couldnā€™t just do it whenever I wanted.

Sponsored

KDTX

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With MIC top: THe wind noise is far worse with just the 2 front panels off as opposed to removing the whole thing. I drove on the freeway at 75mph with full top removed and windows up as it was cold. The wind was actually tolerable. Not bad at all.

Reactions: Cat

Bigmatt

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I hear ya. Me in my red CJ-7, on a mountain trail in Colorado. Buying a removable top 4x4, and not removing the top, for me is a no-go.

Oh sheā€™s beautiful!!! I love CJā€™s!! What year?

On another related note, I hear rumors that the rear windows on both 2 and 4 door hard tops are removable, is this true? If so that would cut back on the ā€œthud thudā€ noise.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh sheā€™s beautiful!!! I love CJā€™s!! What year?

On another related note, I hear rumors that the rear windows on both 2 and 4 door hard tops are removable, is this true? If so that would cut back on the ā€œthud thudā€ noise.
1985 CJ-7. Had a lot of fun in that vehicle, although rust has done a number on it the last several years. Got a TJ as well with rebuilt trans ready to install.

I was jazzed about getting a 28k base 2-door manual Bronco as an update, but seems like that ship is sailing away. :(

I think only the premium hardtop (which is in limbo) has removable back side windows. Rear window is not removable on either, although with some mods could probably be made removable.

Bigmatt

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
1985 CJ-7. Had a lot of fun in that vehicle, although rust has done a number on it the last several years. Got a TJ as well with rebuilt trans ready to install.

I was jazzed about getting a 28k base 2-door manual Bronco as an update, but seems like that ship is sailing away. :(

I think only the premium hardtop (which is in limbo) has removable back side windows. Rear window is not removable on either, although with some mods could probably be made removable.
I have a 2 door that just got scheduled for production. I even have the tow package but with the influx of people canceling tow I think mine became available lol but who the hell knows what any of this crap means. Everybody on here thinks they know what is going on and what order stuff will Be received but they donā€™t. I donā€™t think ford really knows whatā€™s going on at this point. Been over a year and a half for me.

My TJ is a ā€˜97 that Iā€™ve owned since I was in highschool! Itā€™s in my garage having rust fixed right now as well. Trying my hand at body work lol. Iā€™m not getting rid of that at all. Wife and I have a great car for long distance, I work about 5 minutes from my house and we live in an area that has quite a few unmaintained roads, not to mention lake effect snow, so a bronco and Jeep are right at home! Unfortunately we are getting rid of a really nice LJ and already got rid of my XJ, both of which were hard to part with!

blanchardsbronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It was a nice day out and I've owned my Bronco for almost two months now, so I decided to try removing the roof panels for the three mile drive back home from the grocery store. I didn't have the special storage bag with me, but I have a bunch of towels in the back, so they were still protected. It was easy enough to get them off, since I don't currently have the roof rack installed. For some reason I was surprised that they pretty much block the view out the back.

My opinion of the experience is that it's slightly better than a sun roof, but not nearly as good as a real convertible. The wind buffeting was extreme even at 40 mph. And it wasn't clear to me if it was better with the windows up or down. Once I got home, it was easy enough to re-install them. Just gotta remember driver-side comes off first and goes on last.

I'll be sticking to my Mustang from here on for open air driving. Those roof panels will be saying on the Bronco.

No way!!!! doors off roof off..............
Ford Bronco I removed my roof panels - once is enough bronco rack
Sponsored