Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Love seeing all of the topless pictures!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Scott R Nelson

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This evening the temperature was pretty nice, I felt the need to get away, so I headed out in my 2005 Mustang convertible and drove around on some local streets without much traffic, but no speed limit over 45.

In the Mustang, with the top down, it was just ... nice. I never gave a single thought to air flow, no buffeting, no real wind noise. After about 15 miles, as I was heading back home, I decided to give the Bronco one last chance with the roof panels removed. I would be unlikely to find better conditions to for an open top to give it one last chance.

So I took the two roof panels off, left them in the garage, and headed out on the same route. First off, the side windows need to be UP at any speed over 15 mph. It's fine putting them down when stopped, but there is way too much buffeting when they're down. With them up, I was still constantly noticing the wind noise and minor buffeting. There is no way that it was as nice a driving experience as doing the same thing in a real convertible.

So to those of you who still love the Bronco with an open top, don't ever ride in a real convertible or you're realize that it is not nearly as good. And anybody who wants to argue one more time in favor of an open Bronco, I'll just put you in the "clueless" category. ;)

My roof panels ain't coming off again.

Sponsored

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with the Bestop Sunrider top, installed it yesterday. It rains enough here that I wouldn’t leave the roof panels at home, and there isn’t that much room in a 2 door for panels. We took it for a spin, I didn’t go on the highway but didn’t notice wind buffeting up to 50 mph. It was a bit cold (50 degrees) so my wife wasn’t too happy when I had both windows down.

One thing I haven’t figured out is the orientation of the front panels in the included bag. I got them to fit, but I must have it wrong as I can’t zip the bag for long term storage. I will remove the sunrider and go back to the panels in the winter. Installation was easy, I could go back and forth in 10 minutes.

BeachBronco21

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I went with the Bestop Sunrider top, installed it yesterday. It rains enough here that I wouldn’t leave the roof panels at home, and there isn’t that much room in a 2 door for panels. We took it for a spin, I didn’t go on the highway but didn’t notice wind buffeting up to 50 mph. It was a bit cold (50 degrees) so my wife wasn’t too happy when I had both windows down.

One thing I haven’t figured out is the orientation of the front panels in the included bag. I got them to fit, but I must have it wrong as I can’t zip the bag for long term storage. I will remove the sunrider and go back to the panels in the winter. Installation was easy, I could go back and forth in 10 minutes.
It took me a few tries to get them set up so the bag would zip easily. When you put the driver side panel in first, spin the clips back to their "locking position". It will help the passenger side slide in way easier. Now I can get the panels off and bag zipped in about 3 minutes by myself.

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Its easier and faster to remove the complete MIC top, vs removing the plastic windows to fold the soft top all the way back. And your not completely topless with the soft top.
Really?? I can get the soft top all the way down in 3 minutes.

Sponsored

TX-Hans

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Escalade, '13 Jeep Wrangler, '21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

I have the Bestop Sunrider top for my 4-door still sitting in the box unopened. Been on the fence about putting it on. I have found the popping off the two front panels to be so easy and quick (so much quicker and easier than my JKU). Takes just a minute or two and they fit nicely in the back of the 4-door. Super easy to handle them getting them back on - surprised how light they are. (The panel over the rear seats, which is one piece, is a different story as it is more unwieldily to handle.) I believe the panels for the 2-door are a bit larger than the 4-door so perhaps that doesn't help for fitting easily in the back? I suspect if I had the 2-door and couldn't find a way to get them to fit so well in the back, I'd already have the Sunrider top on. Still may give it a try since already have it but I will say removing and reinstalling the panels on the Bronco is pretty easy, and with the 4-door once you put the Sunrider on, you can't remove that large middle panel over the rear seats.

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you look at the top of the bag, the shiny "leather" part is "outlined" to the profile/contour of how to put the panels in (on their sides).

And yes, be sure the levers are in locked position.

Took me a bit, too.

armymp71

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi q3
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It was a nice day out and I've owned my Bronco for almost two months now, so I decided to try removing the roof panels for the three mile drive back home from the grocery store. I didn't have the special storage bag with me, but I have a bunch of towels in the back, so they were still protected. It was easy enough to get them off, since I don't currently have the roof rack installed. For some reason I was surprised that they pretty much block the view out the back.

My opinion of the experience is that it's slightly better than a sun roof, but not nearly as good as a real convertible. The wind buffeting was extreme even at 40 mph. And it wasn't clear to me if it was better with the windows up or down. Once I got home, it was easy enough to re-install them. Just gotta remember driver-side comes off first and goes on last.

I'll be sticking to my Mustang from here on for open air driving. Those roof panels will be saying on the Bronco.

Ford Bronco I removed my roof panels - once is enough congratulations-you-missed-the-point-entirely
YARN | No, one for me. One and done, I always say. I said that once. | Zombieland (2009) | Video clips by quotes | 48829a7e | ç´— (getyarn.io)

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ummm... I have a 2-door. There is no way they're laying horizontal.
Mine do in my 2 Dr WildTrack...and the storage back enables you to attach them to a tie down hook.

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine do in my 2 Dr WildTrack...and the storage back enables you to attach them to a tie down hook.
You DO have to fold the seats down
Sponsored