First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I want to send my sincerest apologies to @IAG Performance . Thank you for putting in the time to design, build, test and employ the personnel to manufacture products for our latest toys. Some of us are pretty appreciative of any aftermarket company making the effort to provide us choices for our Bronco's customization. Some of us even take our Bronco's off-road and play in the dirt and rocks with them.
It seems rather unfair for a single customer to have an issue with your product, then proceed to put you on an Internet Blast in a forum such as this. I wish it could have been handled privately among the customer and your service department team.
I too have many ideas for improvement and customization for the Bronco, but I don't have the cojones nor the attitude needed to shake off the ridiculousness you are required to deal with on the daily.
Keep up the Good Work. And as Mike Levine says, "Stay Pumped"!!
Sponsored

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With all due respect, you are making an assumption or few that we aren't testing the products and that couldn't be farther than the truth. In fact we have 3 sets of steps outside that get sprayed weekly with a salt bath solution to monitor the different variations/changes we have made. The powder coat process has been revised a number of times. The percentage of steps that have exhibited rust stains (that we are aware of) is still under 1% sold. The edge where the tube meets the top plate is the only area that is an issue. We have made changes, and are phasing in a change that should solve it very soon. At the end of the day, this seems to be a combination of a faraday effect where the tube meets the plate and powder coat being thinner on some steps.

In the unfortunate (yet few) situations of rusty steps, we have made it right by every single customer. We have been in business 18 years and have reacted to every difficult situation by taking the high road and making the customers best interest a priority. The lack of warranty on the powder coat is for things like stone chips or scuffs more than anything. This issue is being taken seriously and we are doing our best to both improve the product and make our customers happy.
I purchased a pair a couple days ago and am waiting for them to arrive. I'm not in a climate that would lend to salt roads or excessive rain; however, I will be inspecting for defects in the coating occasionally.

Salt spray three times a week is not a standard exposure evaluation for coatings.
I'd suggest using the following standards:
ASTM B-117 for salt exposure
ASTM D522 for flexibility
ASTM D3451 for Powder coatings
ASTM D2794 Impact analysis

Seems like the coatings are brittle and/or are thin from Faraday points in the application.

Just a suggestion...

IAG Performance

Wildtrak
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iagperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I purchased a pair a couple days ago and am waiting for them to arrive. I'm not in a climate that would lend to salt roads or excessive rain; however, I will be inspecting for defects in the coating occasionally.

Salt spray three times a week is not a standard exposure evaluation for coatings.
I'd suggest using the following standards:
ASTM B-117 for salt exposure
ASTM D522 for flexibility
ASTM D3451 for Powder coatings
ASTM D2794 Impact analysis

Seems like the coatings are brittle and/or are thin from Faraday points in the application.

Just a suggestion...
Thank you for the suggestions. We donā€™t perform the powder coating in house nor am I or anyone on staff a power coating expert. I am just trying to establish that we are testing different revisions and changes. (In addition to having the steps on both of our broncos that are driven daily).
That being said, we are meeting with multiple metal finishing companies in Chicago at the IMTS show in 2 weeks. We are working on it.

Last edited:

IAG Performance

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iagperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I want to send my sincerest apologies to @IAG Performance . Thank you for putting in the time to design, build, test and employ the personnel to manufacture products for our latest toys. Some of us are pretty appreciative of any aftermarket company making the effort to provide us choices for our Bronco's customization. Some of us even take our Bronco's off-road and play in the dirt and rocks with them.
It seems rather unfair for a single customer to have an issue with your product, then proceed to put you on an Internet Blast in a forum such as this. I wish it could have been handled privately among the customer and your service department team.
I too have many ideas for improvement and customization for the Bronco, but I don't have the cojones nor the attitude needed to shake off the ridiculousness you are required to deal with on the daily.
Thank you for the kind words, but we should be apologizing to the community for the issues. As I have said many times, we take it VERY seriously. Itā€™s unfortunate that some folks here donā€™t put the same weight in that as the majority do.

Sponsored

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will say IAG was great to deal with and had very fast return shipping. I expect some rusting after a MN winter and will maintain as best i can. I'm not overly hard on my stuff so i'm hoping the 2nd set last. I truly appreciate how they were to deal with though

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford F-150, 06 Roush Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

could not have said it better myself! Take the issue up with the manufacture and not put it on blast.

PghBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Unfortunately, people fail to realize all the salt spray and "testing" only covers a small controlled portion. Maybe to up the testing pick up the steps and bang um up a little bit then continue testing. But from what I have been reading it looks like failed powder coating. I had steps and what not from Barricade on my JKU and had the same issue. Looks like IAG is going to make it right. This failed powder coating is also why I stay the heck away from rugged ridge.

A51OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco sport, 2022 Bronco, 2023 Bronco, 1989
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thank you for the kind words, but we should be apologizing to the community for the issues. As I have said many times, we take it VERY seriously. Itā€™s unfortunate that some folks here donā€™t put the same weight in that as the majority do.

I have had bad luck since they were delivered. I had to return one board within 1 week. Now after 4-5 months both sides are totally rusting where ever a bend or weld is. I travel a ton and only have 3,000 miles on Bronco so very disappointed I have to have them redone or choose to live with rust appearance and tell everyone I am going for that "used" "weathered" look. I am in Michigan but again I travel so Bronco is in garage more than on road!

I have been driving this weekend and can add pictures as soon as snow and ice melts off car and I clean it so rust is visible.

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've had mine installed for about 4 or 5 months now. Been to MT twice, up in the mountains going through streams and snow, and just had an ice storm in OR that left the side steps covered in snow/ice for several days, and still no signs of rust.

I wonder if there were different suppliers that coated the side steps? Very happy with mine.

What I particularly like about the IAG version is that the steps have a "gritty" texture to them. I noticed that it really helped keeping your feet from slipping during the ice storm.

Sponsored

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have had bad luck since they were delivered. I had to return one board within 1 week. Now after 4-5 months both sides are totally rusting where ever a bend or weld is.
Reading this thread it sounds like a combination of high expectations and low powder coating quality.

Rusting after a week = definitely a poor job. But sounds like they took care of that (as they should).

Rusting after 6 months = ā€œmaybeā€ a poor job - ā€maybeā€ external forces at work. Hard to say for sure as there are just too many variables.

Rusting after a year or longer = pretty much expected. Powder coating is not any more of a forever rust cure than paint. Just a little more durable, thatā€™s all.

I canā€™t even begin to count the number of powder coated bumpers, sliders, racks, whatever Iā€™ve purchased over the decades. All from different companies. The only thing they all have in common is they ALL started showing rust eventually.

Itā€™s the 3rd guarantee in life: death, taxes and rust.

Good news is - just periodically wash and shoot with some cheap rattle can paint from Walmart and they look good as new again. Problem solved.

I wouldnā€™t go too hard on IAG (maybe a little - just to keep the QC guys on their toes ;))

IAG Performance

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iagperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have had bad luck since they were delivered. I had to return one board within 1 week. Now after 4-5 months both sides are totally rusting where ever a bend or weld is. I travel a ton and only have 3,000 miles on Bronco so very disappointed I have to have them redone or choose to live with rust appearance and tell everyone I am going for that "used" "weathered" look. I am in Michigan but again I travel so Bronco is in garage more than on road!

I have been driving this weekend and can add pictures as soon as snow and ice melts off car and I clean it so rust is visible.
We want to apologize that this is the experience you have had with our products. We always stand behind our work and have made a name for ourselves in the automotive industry by doing so. If you are continuing to have issues, please reach out to us at [email protected] so we can help work through this. I'm not sure when your initial order or replacement was sent, but we have made some changes to our powder coating process, and we would like to see when this occurred so we can work together toward a solution that everyone can be satisfied with.

A51OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We want to apologize that this is the experience you have had with our products. We always stand behind our work and have made a name for ourselves in the automotive industry by doing so. If you are continuing to have issues, please reach out to us at [email protected] so we can help work through this. I'm not sure when your initial order or replacement was sent, but we have made some changes to our powder coating process, and we would like to see when this occurred so we can work together toward a solution that everyone can be satisfied with.
thanks, email and pictures sent

Last edited:

A51OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've had mine installed for about 4 or 5 months now. Been to MT twice, up in the mountains going through streams and snow, and just had an ice storm in OR that left the side steps covered in snow/ice for several days, and still no signs of rust.

I wonder if there were different suppliers that coated the side steps? Very happy with mine.

What I particularly like about the IAG version is that the steps have a "gritty" texture to them. I noticed that it really helped keeping your feet from slipping during the ice storm.
I really like the look, like how easy you can install. I am sure IAG will take care of the issue and I will be back to the good. They handled the first issue I had in a matter of 24hours so I expect the same great service from them. Everyone has issues, it is how you handle those issues is how you are judged. I am glad to hear you have had no issues that gives me hope for me living in Michigan!

Aloha Sunrise

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD off road,1971 VW shorty bus
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We have had ours on for about a month, unfortunately we drive through ocean water on the roadway and salt spray almost daily.

The quality of the product is top notch,so far no signs of rust at all.
Sponsored