Sponsored

If the SAS/LUX/MIC is going to push a lot of us into 2024 with no PP - what are you going to do?

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You hit the nail on the head. For me it *was* both. I really, really wanted the Bronco. But that's pretty much faded away. Now I just want a very capable overlanding/offroad vehicle. If I don't get my Bronco this year I have multiple backup plans.

At first when this news dropped a couple days ago I was really pissed. Mainly because I felt like I'd been led on by lies (i.e. keep waiting...your Bronco is coming soon-ish). At this point I'm resigned to the fact that I'm just going to take my business to a competitor. It is what it is...not going to waste too much time or energy being pissed at a company. That corporate entity is just engaging in business practices I don't like - they're not specifically doing it to *me*. I get it - even though it feels personal it's not...it's just (bad) business.
I too love the Toyotas and if Bronco completely fails, I think it’ll be a Tacoma Pro

…..but there is a contingency plan with Bronco “for me”. The ADV hard top looks nice and probably better than OEM. It just costs $7K but if I really want a Bronco, then it’s just money. I hade already planned to replace the entire SAS suspension/tires with better stuff but I luckily the Badlands still has better diffs. If I stay on my 37s path, I’ll probably need to upgrade gears to 4.7. I’d prefer to do all these things and complete the dream I had for the Bronco vs start over with Tacoma even though I’d make it bada$$ as well.

7AEECA93-7076-4F9B-9F9A-FF957F3568EB.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021...Nope. 2022...still no. 2023? Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I too love the Toyotas and if Bronco completely fails, I think it’ll be a Tacoma Pro

…..but there is a contingency plan with Bronco “for me”. The ADV hard top looks nice and probably better than OEM. It just costs $7K but if I really want a Bronco, then it’s just money. I hade already planned to replace the entire SAS suspension/tires with better stuff but I luckily the Badlands still has better diffs. If I stay on my 37s path, I’ll probably need to upgrade gears to 4.7. I’d prefer to do all these things and complete the dream I had for the Bronco vs start over with Tacoma even though I’d make it bada$$ as well.
And there in lies the kicker.

I can stomach dropping SAS and LUX from my build - but I have zero interest in the soft top.

I just can’t wrap my head around spending $70,000 (out the door) on a vehicle and then spending $7000 cash on top of that just for a hard top.

if a good hard top we’re like $1000-1500…ok. But we both know that’s not even in the realm of reality.

I can spec out a Tacoma for @$56,000 exactly how I want it. And *then* spend that $7000 on mods vs my stock bronco with hard too added for $77,000 (plus tax and delivery or whatever on the hard top).

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And there in lies the kicker.

I can stomach dropping SAS and LUX from my build - but I have zero interest in the soft top.

I just can’t wrap my head around spending $70,000 (out the door) on a vehicle and then spending $7000 cash on top of that just for a hard top.

if a good hard top we’re like $1000-1500…ok. But we both know that’s not even in the realm of reality.

I can spec out a Tacoma for @$56,000 exactly how I want it. And *then* spend that $7000 on mods vs my stock bronco with hard too added for $77,000 (plus tax and delivery or whatever on the hard top).
Hmmmmm…my new build (after this week) is Badlands non-SAS, HIGH package, Soft Top and MSRP with tax/delivery is $55,855. How you getting $70K??

Sell the soft top for ~$1500, take delta money saved and put towards ADV top. I was already gonna change suspension/wheels/tires so no loss there for me.

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021...Nope. 2022...still no. 2023? Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmmmmm…my new build (after this week) is Badlands non-SAS, HIGH package, Soft Top and MSRP with tax/delivery is $55,855. How you getting $70K??

Sell the soft top for ~$1500, take delta money saved and put towards ADV top. I was already gonna change suspension/wheels/tires so no loss there for me.
Not so hard to get close to 70 - removing SAS and LUX looks like I’m down @60ish. The. Comes the Colorado 8+% tax plus I’m guessing registering a new car that costs that much at this point here is probably pushing $1500. So I probably overstated…closer to $67,000

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not so hard to get close to 70 - removing SAS and LUX looks like I’m down @60ish. The. Comes the Colorado 8+% tax plus I’m guessing registering a new car that costs that much at this point here is probably pushing $1500. So I probably overstated…closer to $67,000
Interesting…I wonder what you’re adding to get another $4K??

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s not what you guys probably want to hear, but I have both a Jeep and bronco. And I don’t think the bronco is better/worse than the Jeep to warrant waiting almost 3 years for it when I can get a Jeep far easier and quicker. If you really want an open top off-roader I would seriously consider getting a Jeep.
Agreed. I was fairly far down the road towards buying a Wrangler (Rubicon) when the prospect of the new Bronco became a thing. I figured I wasn't in a hurry so wait a year or so and . . . that was 2020. :rolleyes:

Anywhoo hindsight being blah blah blah if I had it to do over I'd still be waiting for the Bronco (BL 2 DR, squatch-less) but I'd be driving a Rubi while waiting. Let the Jeep haters unleash their flame throwers!

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
According to Granger, 2 door orders stay 2 door orders with the hard top.

Just no lux or sasquatch.

I can live with that.

So a 2 door 2.7 adv 4x4 Outer Banks with high package, tow package, and auxiliary switches in white with the Navy Pier cloth interior is the plan.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If I wanted a different vehicle I would have ordered a different vehicle. That said if the constraint on the SAS is the wheels/tires, send mine with space saver donuts and I will have wheels and tires ready at delivery.

If Ford is expecting a huge fall out rate from this I think they will be surprised at how few will change or cancel.

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Who will be disappointed that they can’t call their Bronco a SASQUATCH? Kind of a bummer but no lost sleep.

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

...what is your "backup" vehicle plan?

Thanks for any/all thoughts. And for whatever it's worth to all of you - I appreciate you all so much. I feel like we've all been on quite the journey together.
Mine was the Ineos Grenadier. Still have a pre-order slot and they're SUPPOSED to start delivery this coming year.

Luckily I got my Bronco but that was my backup.

Sponsored

PaulBrownSr

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Borrowing lol
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My 2 cents. The soft top has been more than adequate. I’m in Texas so not Colorado winter, but we did have 2-3 really cold icy weeks recently. Highs in the 20s. Had no issues staying warm or dry. I’m sure you’ve considered, but I’ve been plenty impressed with how it fairs in the elements.
Yes I feel the same way. When I placed my order I went with the soft top so I could get my Bronco ASAP (had no other vehicle due to a wreck). My plan was to buy a hard top down the road but after nearly a year with the soft top I don’t think I will. It holds in heat incredibly well in the winter and while it isn’t exactly quiet as a tomb, I can use a regular voice level to talk to someone in the front seat and the road noise puts my toddler right to sleep!

Still no excuse for Ford not to extend the offer of price protection!!!

brian_and_the_car

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70 Camaro, 97 Lexus LX450, 19 VW Wagen, 23 Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Being a relative newbie, only just over a year in, if all goes awry, I'm going to just do a revision on my FJ80 Landcruiser.
My daughter says she wants it for her first car only a short time away, so daddy/daughter build coming up.
I'm fortunate that the Bronco was just a fun chance to relive one we had in the family years ago, but quite frankly, if Ford can't get it right, it must be a sign so stay away.

buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just looking to see what other people are thinking.

I've got all the sins - BadSquatch MIC 2.7 TOW LUX Leather. I haven't been waiting as long as a lot of people here - but in 3 weeks it'll be 2 years since I made my reservation/placed my order (funny thing - my buddy in Phoenix ordered the exact same thing about 2 weeks after I did and he's had his Bronco since last summer. Ain't that some shit).

I'm not willing to bend on what I ordered 2 years ago (why spend north of $60k and not get what I want?) Needless to say I'm pretty pissed. I'd be willing to drop the LUX - but the Sas and MIC (especially living in Denver and spending a lot of time in the winter in the Rockies) - non negotiable.

I live in Colorado and while I need something offroad capable I'm not going to be doing crazy rock crawling - but I do need something with bash plates because I am going to be going over a lot of rocks up in the mountains. I also do a lot of overlanding/dispersed camping.

Had a really bad experience with a Jeep so I think those are probably out.

Right now I'm starting to think about a Toyota TRD Pro. Dealership near me with no ADM and about a 2-4 month wait to get what I want (I know Toyota dealers aren't placing special orders - but it looks like the vehicles are pretty standard with just bolt on stuff you can get from the parts dept. like roof racks and hoop steps and all that).

With the specifications I think I'd want it comes in about $3,000 less than my Bronco (even including my price protection and *possible* x plan - dealer manager told me I'd been so patient he'd honor that).

My family has had Toyotas and my sense is that they're pretty reliable/well built and I'm guessing the TRD Pro will get me where I need to go (especially if I add larger wheels/tires for better clearance). So - for anyone who knows a lot more about this stuff than I do (which is probably most of you) - what do you think about the TRD Pro?

And aside from that - if this is the straw that broke the cam's back for you - what is your "backup" vehicle plan?

Thanks for any/all thoughts. And for whatever it's worth to all of you - I appreciate you all so much. I feel like we've all been on quite the journey together.
Are you looking at the Tacoma, Tundra, or Sequoia TRD Pro?

I have had my 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro since it was almost new, and have taken it on road trips, crawling, you name it. 75k miles and I've never had to do anything but oil changes. Not a single squeak, rattle, or broken part inside or out - as I've come to expect from Toyota, with this being my fifth (4Runner for 8 years, and three other Tacoma before this one). As far as off road worthy pickups, you won't find a more hardy offering. It only comes with a rear locking diff whereas the Bronco has front and rear, but I've never found that to be an issue.

As someone with both a Bronco and the Taco TRD Pro, I can tell you this - the Bronco is always going to be more fun, but the Taco will always be there. The design and build quality are a night and day difference, favoring Toyota. If you don't mind sacrificing the open air experience afforded by the Bronco, the Taco is a solid second choice with impressive aftermarket support available from dozens of manufacturers. I'm never giving mine up; there are scores of 20+ year old Tacomas on the roads here in Austin, and mine has taken me to some truly amazing places without incident.

If you're able, hold out for the 2024 model year, which is supposed to be the first major redesign of the platform since the Gen 3 Tacoma was released in 2016. Toyota is known to take their time updating just about any part of their vehicles, but the new TNGA architecture they're touting for the next gen will probably see serious improvements in the frame, drive train offerings, and onboard electronics. The power plant in the Taco is well over a decade old by this point, and all indications are that the new gen may have a hybrid powertrain on offer - which would mean better torque and lower center of gravity from a battery pack.

PXL_20220916_163315304~2.jpg

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One thing a Taco has over all the SVU s is practicality. Can haul dirt, trash, etc and still have 4 doors for occupants. Also 4 Runner “supposed” to be re-designed in 2024. Jeep will keep plugging along so Ford might want to get their S _ _ _ together or if the current situation exists it’s in-evitable people are going to had more than enough and will purchase other options. IMO
Sponsored