Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I wasn’t able to get to hydroplane speed. That is a Good idea, next time I go back I will see what speed that is. 👍🏼
Hydrolock, not hydroplane. Google it.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The science we needed. well done, my good sir

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can respect the hypothesis and mad science experiments to prove this theory. However, the crosswind variable upsets speed model testing. Can confirm that 25MPH with a 10-15MPH crosswind is no bueno, so I'll try 45 next time...

OP
OP
FlyTheCourse

FlyTheCourse

Badlands
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4dr Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hydrolock, not hydroplane. Google it.
Check that. It would take a lot of water to fill the air box to get enough water past the air filter, and past the turbo to get in to the cylinder to get that to happen. But i did check to see if there was any water getting into it. Looks like some water made its way to the air box and some past the filter, but it doesn’t look like it got past the drip catch. Good to know. Might have to add a snorkel to my future mods 🤔. Definitely overkill for water splashing, but one day I do want to go deep, not just get wet. 😂
E5B6CEF0-6FA6-4913-AAE8-C72A82D78B49.jpeg

Sponsored

BroncoJoerg

Badlands
First Name
Joerg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mythbusters came up with a similar conclusion...glad we have an updated number for the bronco now. Science!
Except they were talking convertible in the c rain. But close enough! That was a cool episode BTW.

Fivefingerheist

Badlands
First Name
FFH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, 4-D, Non-SAS, 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hydrolock is when you get a literal flood of water into the air intake. If it was caused by this you would have to drive like a granny on the road in a rainy day. Keyword here submerged.

I'm just more worried about my filter getting dirty early because I'm not interested in spending on a new filter. Need all the income I can get for mods!

Sponsored

SCBronco1

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Lariat Fx4, 2012 BMW X3, 2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was able to determine that hitting a mud puddle over 45 mph is about the perfect speed to keep mud and water from spraying inside a 4 door Bronco Sasquatch with the top off. Anything over 10 and under 45 mph the water sprays up from the front over the windshield. 🤣

Looks like scuba gear would have been smart on this adventure. Also looks like a great time to be Broncoing (Is that a word? Could it be a word? You know, the act of using your Bronco to do some really bad @$$ Bronco like stuff. Someone help me out here!)

OP
OP
FlyTheCourse

FlyTheCourse

Badlands
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4dr Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hydrolock is when you get a literal flood of water into the air intake. If it was caused by this you would have to drive like a granny on the road in a rainy day. Keyword here submerged.

I'm just more worried about my filter getting dirty early because I'm not interested in spending on a new filter. Need all the income I can get for mods!
See my follow up note above within a photo of the inside of the air box. I have a K&N filter installed, so it is pretty easy to wash.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
oof. I just spent $1600 replacing a steering rack because of shenanigans like this. Keep a close eye on those tie rod boots and make sure they stay greased... The EPAS (electric steering) is INCREDIBLY sensitive to water/mud ingress!

8ronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was able to determine that hitting a mud puddle over 45 mph is about the perfect speed to keep mud and water from spraying inside a 4 door Bronco Sasquatch with the top off. Anything over 10 and under 45 mph the water sprays up from the front over the windshield. 🤣

Did this unintentionally on a flooded road - resulted in losing my electrical and engine power right away. Engine wouldn't start again right away - waiting about 15 minutes and got it cranked up again but was sitting there dreading the tow to a dealership.

I have the 2.3.
Sponsored