Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hello Everyone,

Long time reader and first time poster. I have gathered a ton of very useful information on this forum, so thought it was time for me to contribute back hoping my feedback will help at least one person make an informed tire decision.

I just replaced the stock OEM GY Territories with the MT Baja Legend EXP Tires at 32,000 miles. I bought my soft top equipped Outer Banks Sas used at 17,000 miles. I am also a ranch real estate broker in north Texas, so I put a lot of miles on my vehicles including highway, city, gravel roads, rocky roads, mesquite thorn pastures, mud, and rain/snow...we have a place in remote Colorado as well so I do have a lot of snow driving experience. What I don' t do is rock climbing and drive in the deep sand, so I can't comment on that.

Was growing tired of these gravel chunking and (I think) noisy GY Territories. I know a soft top amplifies the noise as well. I will say they are smooth riding (thanks to C rating I suppose) and drove straight and true down the highway.

Now, for the MT Legends. I am a person who thinks (over thinks) my gear and equipment. I did a lot of forum searching, research, etc before I made my final tire decision. Here is what I was looking for in no particular order::

1. Less noise. I test this empirically using an Apple Watch Ultra and the decibel app. Under the exact same conditions (road near my house, speed, and wind), the GY Territories were right at 70 decibels at 55 mph. The MT Legends were between 64 and 65 decibels. Doesn't seem like a big difference, but it is. You can still hear them, especially with a soft top, but they are noticeably quieter. Before everyone comments, I realize the GY's had 32,000 miles on them when tested, but they were still noisy at 17,000 miles when I bought it used. Only time will tell if the MT's stay quiet with age or not.

2. Heavier Duty to put up with mesquite thorns (not many tires will, but every ply helps). The MT Legends are D rated...which gives me some extra ply's of protection, but still a great ride AND the overall tire weight still fairly low. I was not worried about the sidewalls being 2 ply as I don't do jagged rock climbing.

3. Tire Weight ... GY Territories are by far the lightest ones out there at 52 or 54 pounds (depends on what you look at) in the 315/70 17 size. The MT Legend is 62 pounds, the next lightest I could find and with a bump in ply rating. All others are in the upper 60s to mid 70 pounds per tire. If I had to guess, I would say I have taken a very slight MPG drop but not noticeable really...maybe .5 mpg less. I can't tell any difference in acceleration with this heavier tire. Performance is great. I was fearful that if I move up to the Faulkens (at 75 pounds) or some of the other popular tires, that performance would suffer a little.

4. Aggressive look. The MT's are a lot "beefier " and "chunkier" that they look in pictures. I love the look of them. The outer and inner shoulder lugs are massive. The center lugs are much tighter and gives the quieter ride.

5. Smooth ride but stable in all conditions...it doesn't have to be the best at anything, but does need to perform well. In fairness, the GY Territories rode very well and performed well in rain, and decent in mud. I did not drive in snow with them. So far, with the MT Legends, I have driven in driving rain (we had 3" of rain here the last 5 days) and these tires ate the rain to pieces...even hitting large puddles. No problem at all. I have driven on gravel roads and, while they throw a few stones, it's nothing like the Territories. I also drove in snow two weeks ago in Colorado. Our road in CO is gravel and a 10 percent incline to our house. Over a thin layer of snow and slush, no slipping at all in four-wheel drive. They did fine. Regarding mud, I have not tried them yet, but I can't help but think they will do well as the lugs are huge and plenty of channels to expel the mud and rain.

I hope some of you find this helpful. This Bronco is a daily driver for me and the MT Legends, so far, have turned out to be a really nice upgrade from the Territories and have performed admirably. They are a great combination of aggressiveness but great ride, performance and noise qualities.

Ford Bronco Initial Thoughts / Review on Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXP Tires for Sasquatch Bronco bronc ski rack and tires (1)

Ford Bronco Initial Thoughts / Review on Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXP Tires for Sasquatch Bronco mickey thompson baja legend tires

Ford Bronco Initial Thoughts / Review on Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXP Tires for Sasquatch Bronco bronc ski rack and tires

Ford Bronco Initial Thoughts / Review on Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXP Tires for Sasquatch Bronco Bronco snow picture

Ford Bronco Initial Thoughts / Review on Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXP Tires for Sasquatch Bronco bronco tire and snow
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've got 20,000 on a set of these in 35x12.5-17 - I haven't noticed a change in them from Day 1 until now.

I agree with pretty much everything you say - they have been a good tire. Squirrely in snow would be the only ding I would give them - they want to dig in and sling it like a mud tire, and you notice the squirrlyness more trying to go downhill than uphill. They do ok, but once you start getting into deeper stuff it's not something like a Wildpeak or Baja Boss that's 3PMS. They are excellent in dirt/rain/mud and are extremely polite on the pavement, and they sling mud (and snow) like crazy without slinging gravel (I don't know how they did this - it's amazing really).

Being in the mountains, I'm probably looking at Wildpeak A/T4 or Baja Boss for my next tire, but the Baja Legend has been a good tire overall and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

OP
OP
SilverTaps86

SilverTaps86

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Great information and feedback. Thank you!

retiredarmymp

Badlands
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great write up! I’ve had my MT Baja Legend EXPs for 2 years and 25k miles and I still think they are great in all types of weather and road conditions. Only difference is I like the raised white letters on the outside so their visible.

IMG_5105.jpeg

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have them (35”) on my 4WD Excursion and only mild complaint I have is they are noisier than the Nitto Terra Grapplers they replaced which were pretty much silent and great tires themselves.

Sponsored

MoodyBlues

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 obs reg cab sierra, 2019 gmc Denali, 2021 C8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Man I’m glad you posted this! I just ordered my tires yesterday and should have them early next week for my 2 door badlands. I’ve looked for a couple months for the right tire and stumbled across these the other day… couldnt find just a ton of info on these as far as actual reviews go so I was a bit skeptical. Really excited now about my purchase and I got discount tire to match an online price for $307 a tire for 315/70r17 if anyone else is interested.

Cubertious

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've been trying to decided on which tires to get when I'm done with the OEMs and have been circling the MT Exp Legends but have not seen anyone really comment on them besides they like them (to be fair I haven't really checked for a while), great writeup and hits on some of the things I have been wondering about. I'm positive I'll be switching to these now.

wizardoforange

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks for the review. These are on my short list when it comes time to replace the Goodyears. Hopefully that won't be for another couple of years. Nokian Outpost and Falken Wildpeaks are also on my list.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Nice write up. It amazes me how loud the GYs are for a pretty boring AT tire. And the rock throwing, holy hell. I only have 11k miles on them but they will be gone soon.

Gene Dios

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you compare against any of these specific models? If so, what swayed you in a different direction?

Cooper Discoverer STT Pro

Milestar Patagonia M/T

General Grabber X3

Mickey Thompson Baja Boss M/T

Yokohama Geolandar M/T

Sponsored

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Man I’m glad you posted this! I just ordered my tires yesterday and should have them early next week for my 2 door badlands. I’ve looked for a couple months for the right tire and stumbled across these the other day… couldnt find just a ton of info on these as far as actual reviews go so I was a bit skeptical. Really excited now about my purchase and I got discount tire to match an online price for $307 a tire for 315/70r17 if anyone else is interested.
Thank you for the opportunity to earn your business! Taking advantage of our Low Price Promise will ensure that you get the very best deal possible! Looking forward to hearing how the tires look and perform for you.

OP
OP
SilverTaps86

SilverTaps86

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Great write up! I’ve had my MT Baja Legend EXPs for 2 years and 25k miles and I still think they are great in all types of weather and road conditions. Only difference is I like the raised white letters on the outside so their visible.

Ford Bronco Initial Thoughts / Review on Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXP Tires for Sasquatch Bronco IMG_5105
Beautiful Bronco!
That’s why I posted this… I wanted these tires too but could not find a lot of info either. Took a chance and bought them and just wanted to pass along what I learned in goes it would help someone. Good luck and I am sure you will love these tires!

OP
OP
SilverTaps86

SilverTaps86

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did you compare against any of these specific models? If so, what swayed you in a different direction?

Cooper Discoverer STT Pro

Milestar Patagonia M/T

General Grabber X3

Mickey Thompson Baja Boss M/T

Yokohama Geolandar M/T
My local tire dealer in Texas carries the Coopers, Toyos and Nittos. Ultimately it came down to tire weight and the other factors I mentioned. I had a really bad experience with some Coopers I had installed on a dually truck years ago so they left a bad taste in my mouth. The Toyos and Nittos are heavy, plus my dealer was able to install the Legends for $1,320 for 4 tires which is a great deal compared to what Discount tire wanted.

OP
OP
SilverTaps86

SilverTaps86

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That’s a great price for the tires… I paid $1,320 all in incl taxes for 4 tires. I keep the GY as a spare due to the light weight.

MoodyBlues

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 obs reg cab sierra, 2019 gmc Denali, 2021 C8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My local tire dealer in Texas carries the Coopers, Toyos and Nittos. Ultimately it came down to tire weight and the other factors I mentioned. I had a really bad experience with some Coopers I had installed on a dually truck years ago so they left a bad taste in my mouth. The Toyos and Nittos are heavy, plus my dealer was able to install the Legends for $1,320 for 4 tires which is a great deal compared to what Discount tire wanted.
Yea I’m just keeping my bfg for a spare and throwing a tire cover over it for a bit to try and save a few bucks. Might end up with the matching spare eventually, we’ll see…. I just tend to not have to use mine honestly. Never have on the Jeep anyways….
Sponsored