Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2017 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm doing the same thing but running 37s. Changing to 4.88 gears. I twisted one of my axle tubes and cracked the plug welds on Plan B at Sand Hollow. Didn't get out of the throttle quick enough and bounced it. I had it welded up and we'll be down at Sand Hollow rock crawling again next week so we'll see how it holds up.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm doing the same thing but running 37s. Changing to 4.88 gears. I twisted one of my axle tubes and cracked the plug welds on Plan B at Sand Hollow. Didn't get out of the throttle quick enough and bounced it. I had it welded up and we'll be down at Sand Hollow rock crawling again next week so we'll see how it holds up.
Assuming your referring to the rear axle?

Eric L

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2017 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Broncoman7072

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 70 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Jeep JL rear gearsets for the m220 d44 axle do work, however the pinion bearing supplied in the rebuild kits is incorrect for the Bronco. Jeep uses a double row of ball bearings instead of a regular roller bearing like Ford. Be aware of this different part if you do a rear re-gear.
Both pinion bearings were different?

My 5.38 FDU should be here soon. Ordered 5.38 JL gears and install kit because we didn't know if there was a difference. We gambled.....and lost. Apparently.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Both pinion bearings were different?

My 5.38 FDU should be here soon. Ordered 5.38 JL gears and install kit because we didn't know if there was a difference. We gambled.....and lost. Apparently.
The outer pinion bearing looks like a pearl necklace wrapped twice...with a junky plastic cage. The other bearing is correct.

On the JL kit, most is correct. Here the ford parts I ordered instead.
EDIT!!! OF COURSE FORD HAS THE PARTS LABELED BACKWARDS IN THE PARTS SCHEMATIC 🙄

THE BEARINGS WERE THE INNERS NOT THE OUTTERS...

KB3Z-4036-A GASKET

KB3Z-4616-A CUP big pinion head side

KB3Z-4630-A and
KB3Z-4628-A are the CORRECT outer flange-side pinion bearings and race nearest the pinion seal.

KB3Z-4621-A CONE AND ROLLER ASY.....this one is near the pinion head.

KB3Z-4662-A SPACER - PINION BEARING

KB3Z-4676-A SEAL ASY - OIL

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Im surprised someone has not already done this to the rear axle with trail turn....the internal forces from trail turn are INCREDIBLY rough on a rear end. The brake holds the tube while the axle tries to twist it off.

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Im surprised someone has not already done this to the rear axle with trail turn....the internal forces from trail turn are INCREDIBLY rough on a rear end. The brake holds the tube while the axle tries to twist it off.
That's why I will probably never use it unless I'm driving on something very loose.

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't really know that much about trail turn assist, (Don't have it so didn't study it at all), But I would think the program would force the rear axle to unlock so it wouldn't be trying to turn the axle shaft? Maybe even disengage the rear axle at the transfer case, since what it's doing is a "Front Dig" and that's what we normally do...

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't really know that much about trail turn assist, (Don't have it so didn't study it at all), But I would think the program would force the rear axle to unlock so it wouldn't be trying to turn the axle shaft? Maybe even disengage the rear axle at the transfer case, since what it's doing is a "Front Dig" and that's what we normally do...

Yes, it does unlock the rear. You do have the option of front locked or un-locked. Automatically turns off above 25mph.

Front dig. When I first saw it in action that is what I thought and started posting just that. Many did not know that term. As it turns out it is more like tractor turn. I have seen vids of it in action where you can see the outside rear tire spitting out terra firma. Healy's old Ranger with the stock 10R60 had an Atlas bolted to it and he had the 2 levers sticking up beside the console. I was drooling over every picture of that I could. I remember seeing Healy, early on in the beginning, with the Catus Grey 4 dr on 37's at the Rubicon trying it on the rocks. He was a bit late hitting the button and by the time it caught he was sliding off the rock. but it looks like it will rotate you pretty good.

The trails here in PA can get tight and it is going to be fun to rip around those turns while by Jeep buds are three/four/five/six pointing them. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, it does unlock the rear. You do have the option of front locked or un-locked. Automatically turns off above 25mph.

Front dig. When I first saw it in action that is what I thought and started posting just that. Many did not know that term. As it turns out it is more like tractor turn. I have seen vids of it in action where you can see the outside rear tire spitting out terra firma. Healy's old Ranger with the stock 10R60 had an Atlas bolted to it and he had the 2 levers sticking up beside the console. I was drooling over every picture of that I could. I remember seeing Healy, early on in the beginning, with the Catus Grey 4 dr on 37's at the Rubicon trying it on the rocks. He was a bit late hitting the button and by the time it caught he was sliding off the rock. but it looks like it will rotate you pretty good.

The trails here in PA can get tight and it is going to be fun to rip around those turns while by Jeep buds are three/four/five/six pointing them. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Yup, That's how we do a front dig in VA too, Atlas or a twin sticked 300, and completely disconnect the rear at the transfer case then cutting brakes to lock the inside tire... If the outside tire is spitting dirt though, then you're right, it's more of a tank turn... Still, as long as the axle isn't locked, it shouldn't be putting huge twisting forces on the axle, But still more than a true front dig...

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here is a good example of why you increase the size of these parts (though it does make one wonder what becomes the next weak point in the driveline).
Big tires, big axles, lots of power, giving it the beans, and snap goes the transfer case input shaft.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Correct the locker has to be disengaged for this to function, in fact there's a "lockout" feature where the locker cannot be engaged while you use Trail turn. However the forces ARE directly delivered across both axles the same , split by the spider gears inside the diff, and the outside tire gets to spin out or have two times the rotation as the inside one that is usually stopped or at a standstill with the brakes applied so there is a twisting action applied to the housing itself because of this.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Correct the locker has to be disengaged for this to function, in fact there's a "lockout" feature where the locker cannot be engaged while you use Trail turn. However the forces ARE directly delivered across both axles the same , split by the spider gears inside the diff, and the outside tire gets to spin out or have two times the rotation as the inside one that is usually stopped or at a standstill with the brakes applied so there is a twisting action applied to the housing itself because of this.

Another thing to keep in mind. If anyone doing this on a harder surface, tires and compound make difference, KM3 is more "grippy" than say a KO2, as to how those forces are exerted on the axle, spiders, etc.

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Can this be done on the floor with Jack stands? Is there plenty of wiggle room to get the FDU in and out? Looks like there is a slotted hole in the mounting bracket to relieve gravity load during installation. How heavy is the FDU? I am not getting any younger. Thanks for the post.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Can this be done on the floor with Jack stands? Is there plenty of wiggle room to get the FDU in and out? Looks like there is a slotted hole in the mounting bracket to relieve gravity load during installation. How heavy is the FDU? I am not getting any younger. Thanks for the post.
Yes I did it on the floor with jackstands...by myself...I recommend 2 people. Weight is about 75 lbs. Plenty of room.
Sponsored