Sponsored

Interior space for kids and 3 car seats?

First Name
Barton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey everyone! I’m looking for a bit of advice if anyones situation is similar to mine.

I’m currently in a 2021 F-150 XLT FX4 Super Crew and plan on trading it in for a 2022 (maybe 2023 at this point) 4 door Wildtrak I ordered back in December. We have three kids; 8, 5 and 2. Does anyone have experience with three car seats in the back for extended periods of time? We tested our car seats out in a Bronco our dealer had on the lot and they fit, but it was pretty snug. I’m curious how peoples kids felt in the back on a road trip, daily drives, etc. My wife has a 2022 Explorer so we have a true “family vehicle”. I’m just curious if anyone else is moving or has moved from a truck to a Bronco and if they’re happy with their decision. I love my truck but the Bronco is so badass and checks off most of my needs. I know I’m giving up a more smooth and quieter ride for the Bronco. But taking the roof and doors off in the nice weather will make up for that! I also test drove that Bronco after putting the kids seats in the back and fell in love with it. It was a nice change from driving a bus around and being able to make tight turns. I also figure if I need to haul something significant I can get a trailer for the Bronco. I just wanted to check and see if anyone else is/was in a similar situation and what their experiences have been.
Thank you!
Sponsored

Marsalad

Heritage
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
We have an eight year old child, five your old grandchild, and a three year old grandchild. All three can begrudgingly fit in the back seat of our four-door Bronco but that’s with a child seat and a booster seat. The oldest sits on a pillow in the middle and uses the seatbelt only. This is a giant shit show for the adults to coordinate and therefor doesn’t happen very often. If all three of your kids use child seats of any kind then be thankful you have the Explorer.
We had a 2018 F-150 Supercrew that could handle three child seats without issue. Sometimes I miss that truck but it was too difficult to take the top off.

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey everyone! I’m looking for a bit of advice if anyones situation is similar to mine.

I’m currently in a 2021 F-150 XLT FX4 Super Crew and plan on trading it in for a 2022 (maybe 2023 at this point) 4 door Wildtrak I ordered back in December. We have three kids; 8, 5 and 2. Does anyone have experience with three car seats in the back for extended periods of time? We tested our car seats out in a Bronco our dealer had on the lot and they fit, but it was pretty snug. I’m curious how peoples kids felt in the back on a road trip, daily drives, etc. My wife has a 2022 Explorer so we have a true “family vehicle”. I’m just curious if anyone else is moving or has moved from a truck to a Bronco and if they’re happy with their decision. I love my truck but the Bronco is so badass and checks off most of my needs. I know I’m giving up a more smooth and quieter ride for the Bronco. But taking the roof and doors off in the nice weather will make up for that! I also test drove that Bronco after putting the kids seats in the back and fell in love with it. It was a nice change from driving a bus around and being able to make tight turns. I also figure if I need to haul something significant I can get a trailer for the Bronco. I just wanted to check and see if anyone else is/was in a similar situation and what their experiences have been.
Thank you!
Don’t even try the Bronco with three car seats going to be quite a tight fit.

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I pity anyone who has three kids that are all in car seats at the same time. The 8yo should be out soon at least. Taking that car seat out of the car for the last time was one of the best days of my life. It’s almost as good as when they learn to wipe their own ass.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just tell the two favorites they get to ride in the Bronco. Life’s cruel and it’s time one of them learned.

Sponsored

DwnSth

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2013 F150, 2014 GC, 2002 TJ,
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

We have three gc in car seats. Can't say on the Bronco but we can squeeze them in our Wrangler. Fit fine in the F150 but they of course prefer to ride in the Jeep. Wouldn't do it on long trip...just not enough room. So they're stuck with the truck. I think the Bronco is a little tighter in the backseat then the Jeep...at least on the leg room measurements.

USAGUY

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

. Dude I totally understand where you are coming from. Yes 3 car seats will fit. It’s absolutely terrible. I have a 2 y/o & a special needs 4 Y/o. I have had 3 kids back there 2 in seats and 1 in a booster in the middle ( a cousin). Was fun just cause it was fun. As far as practically Hells NO! Very uncomfortable.
Heck buy it anyway. I did. I just kept the Toyota Highlander for that type of situation.

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Don’t even try the Bronco with three car seats going to be quite a tight fit.
@Packerowner1984 , I'm in a similar situation and have been.

I managed to fit 3 car seats in an Infiniti Q50.

What you need are new car seats. Diono brand, Radian model.

I've now progressed to 2 car seats and a booster. But I feel your pain.

760 bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You have the explorer as a family car. 3 car seats is tight in any vehicle, but your 8 year old should be out of it in the next year or 2. Right in time for your bronco delivery…

I have a 2 door on order with 3 kids and one on the way lol, I’m going to have to switch to a 4 door build which is making me contemplate just waiting for the 2023 ranger. Damn kids always ruining my plans…

Sponsored

BruceMoose

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 f-150, 2015 Chrysler Town and Country
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve got three car seats (Graco Slimfit3lx, pricey but good)in the back seat of my BD squatch, works great. I also used to drive a 2016 crew cab f150, and have found the transition simple (my wife drives the truck now so we still have it for truck stuff and long drives. Eventually wife wants a palisade, so we’re planning to go truckless as well). My kids are 7, 6, and 3. Yes, it’s more difficult to buckle them than a mini van. But I’d say it’s about the same as the f150. The three year old is in a five point, so that’s easy. The other two are in high back boosters, so reaching the buckle is tougher. I can buckle the passenger side booster from outside but have to jump in to do the opposite side. Way I see it, they won’t be in the car seats long so it’s a small inconvenience. As far as space, I just tilt the seat forward and there’s plenty of room to get in. On the road, the legroom is limited, but I don’t want them kicking their feet around anyway! Here’s a pic without the kids. I’ll take one with the kids on the way to the lake tomorrow. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. Not sure if you are in WI, but I’m near Duluth, MN if you ever wanted to see it.

Ford Bronco Interior space for kids and 3 car seats? 1D2922C5-195F-4800-B87C-3CB4F1BFF1C4

Ford Bronco Interior space for kids and 3 car seats? 73DB299D-FD24-4422-8658-61BAEE76B893

Ford Bronco Interior space for kids and 3 car seats? 75449308-84EE-439C-B1FC-A9BE28EC4936

Last edited:

adrock

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mazda 3 w/170k miles
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve got three car seats (Graco Slimfit3lx, pricey but good)in the back seat of my BD squatch, works great. I also used to drive a 2016 crew cab f150, and have found the transition simple (my wife drives the truck now so we still have it for truck stuff and long drives. Eventually wife wants a palisade, so we’re planning to go truckless as well). My kids are 7, 6, and 3. Yes, it’s more difficult to buckle them than a mini van. But I’d say it’s about the same as the f150. The three year old is in a five point, so that’s easy. The other two are in high back boosters, so reaching the buckle is tougher. I can buckle the passenger side booster from outside but have to jump in to do the opposite side. Way I see it, they won’t be in the car seats long so it’s a small inconvenience. As far as space, I just tilt the seat forward and there’s plenty of room to get in. On the road, the legroom is limited, but I don’t want them kicking their feet around anyway! Here’s a pic without the kids. I’ll take one with the kids in the way to the lake tomorrow. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. Not sure if you are in WI, but I’m near Duluth, MN if you ever wanted to see it.

Ford Bronco Interior space for kids and 3 car seats? 75449308-84EE-439C-B1FC-A9BE28EC4936

This gives me hope. I’ll be doing the same thing when my BD gets off Ice Mountain. We’ve got an Ascent for long trips, mine will just be for drop offs and pick ups.

OP
OP
First Name
Barton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’ve got three car seats (Graco Slimfit3lx, pricey but good)in the back seat of my BD squatch, works great. I also used to drive a 2016 crew cab f150, and have found the transition simple (my wife drives the truck now so we still have it for truck stuff and long drives. Eventually wife wants a palisade, so we’re planning to go truckless as well). My kids are 7, 6, and 3. Yes, it’s more difficult to buckle them than a mini van. But I’d say it’s about the same as the f150. The three year old is in a five point, so that’s easy. The other two are in high back boosters, so reaching the buckle is tougher. I can buckle the passenger side booster from outside but have to jump in to do the opposite side. Way I see it, they won’t be in the car seats long so it’s a small inconvenience. As far as space, I just tilt the seat forward and there’s plenty of room to get in. On the road, the legroom is limited, but I don’t want them kicking their feet around anyway! Here’s a pic without the kids. I’ll take one with the kids on the way to the lake tomorrow. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. Not sure if you are in WI, but I’m near Duluth, MN if you ever wanted to see it.

Thank you very much for the visuals and the types of seats that they are. Itried to talk to wife into keeping the truck but she thinks it’s way too big for her. She upgraded from a 2015 to a 2022 Explorer. I agree on the small inconvenience, it’ll be a short lived pain in the butt. I live in Omaha, NE. Just a die hard Packers fan. Especially since we don’t have much of a football team to cheer for these days!

OP
OP
First Name
Barton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You have the explorer as a family car. 3 car seats is tight in any vehicle, but your 8 year old should be out of it in the next year or 2. Right in time for your bronco delivery…

I have a 2 door on order with 3 kids and one on the way lol, I’m going to have to switch to a 4 door build which is making me contemplate just waiting for the 2023 ranger. Damn kids always ruining my plans…
That’s what I told the wife too. She’s nervous about space with three car seats. I said that the oldest might be graduated from high school by the time we even get the Bronco. So no need to worry! I don’t know how we all survived as kids. We were out of car seats at about 3 and wore lap belts only. I think my kids should make it in a 2022 Bronco lol

Bronco 09

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 f350 KR dully
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also have 3 kids and have 3 diono 3rxt's and have our oldest in the middle and we need a seat belt extention that will work for the center seatas the male part of the buckle is different than the outer two.
Sponsored