First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badsquatch, Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, this morning I had planned for a quick install of the rough country tailgate reinforcement. How foolish I was.

First, both the Tailgate Reinforcement and the 3rd Brake Light Extension had bare metal in/around multiple fastener holes as shown. Not sure if the powder coat stripped/chipped or there just wasn't full coverage.

Ford Bronco Issues with Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement PXL_20220820_174659709

Ford Bronco Issues with Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement PXL_20220820_174704539

Ford Bronco Issues with Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement PXL_20220820_174729106

So after a trip to the store to pick-up some rust-oleum enamel to touch it up, a couple hour wait to dry, and application of ppf to the bracket to protect the tailgate paint, I was finally ready for install.

After installing shims/spacers as directed in the instructions to hold the tailgate in place, I proceeded with getting the hinge bolts started to mount tailgate reinforcement. I noticed at this point the contour isn't quite right on the bracket. It was sitting flush on the hinges and on the left side of the spare tire mount, but the right side of the spare tire mount was sitting about 1/4" to 1/2" off the tailgate. (sorry, didn't get a pic of this) This was already a little concerning as I don't like the idea of pre-loading a tailgate that is already prone to issues.

As I pressed on with the installation, I was only able to get 2 of the fasteners started for the spare tire mount no matter how much I tried to adjust the bracket. I proceeded to clamp down the hing bolts and see if I can still make it work. As you can see below, I was only ever able to get the 2 fasteners (top left and bottom right) installed. The rest of the holes are off almost counter-clockwise to the hinge bolts and the 2 spare tire bolts that are installed. However, there was no adjust-ability left in the bracket when all fasteners were loose.

Ford Bronco Issues with Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement PXL_20220820_223816191

Top Left:
Ford Bronco Issues with Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement PXL_20220820_223850735

Bottom Left:
Ford Bronco Issues with Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement PXL_20220820_223845919

Bottom Left:
Ford Bronco Issues with Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement PXL_20220820_223842522

Bottom Right:
Ford Bronco Issues with Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement PXL_20220820_223838936

Top Right:
Ford Bronco Issues with Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement PXL_20220820_223830131

Top Right:
Ford Bronco Issues with Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement PXL_20220820_223834087

A couple other issues that arose were the washers that were too small for the spare tire mount (someone else had previously created a thread on this) and the third brake light bracket interfered with my rear wiper (after removing the tailgate reinforcement).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might be able to get everything to line up before I send this thing back to RC and order a hammer built reinforcement?
Sponsored

Last edited:

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So, this morning I had planned for a quick install of the rough country tailgate reinforcement. How foolish I was.

First, both the Tailgate Reinforcement and the 3rd Brake Light Extension had bare metal in/around multiple fastener holes as shown. Not sure if the powder coat stripped/chipped or there just wasn't full coverage.

Ford Bronco Issues with Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement PXL_20220820_223834087

So after a trip to the store to pick-up some rust-oleum enamel to touch it up, a couple hour wait to dry, and application of ppf to the bracket to protect the tailgate paint, I was finally ready for install.

After installing shims/spacers as directed in the instructions to hold the tailgate in place, I proceeded with getting the hinge bolts started to mount tailgate reinforcement. I noticed at this point the contour isn't quite right on the bracket. It was sitting flush on the hinges and on the left side of the spare tire mount, but the right side of the spare tire mount was sitting about 1/4" to 1/2" off the tailgate. (sorry, didn't get a pic of this) This was already a little concerning as I don't like the idea of pre-loading a tailgate that is already prone to issues.

As I pressed on with the installation, I was only able to get 2 of the fasteners started for the spare tire mount no matter how much I tried to adjust the bracket. I proceeded to clamp down the hing bolts and see if I can still make it work. As you can see below, I was only ever able to get the 2 fasteners (top left and bottom right) installed. The rest of the holes are off almost counter-clockwise to the hinge bolts and the 2 spare tire bolts that are installed. However, there was no adjust-ability left in the bracket when all fasteners were loose.

Top Left:

Bottom Left:

Bottom Left:

Bottom Right:

Top Right:

Top Right:

A couple other issues that arose were the washers that were too small for the spare tire mount (someone else had previously created a thread on this) and the third brake light bracket interfered with my rear wiper (after removing the tailgate reinforcement).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might be able to get everything to line up before I send this thing back to RC and order a hammer built reinforcement?
Better return it. They should take it back. Nice documentation.

Reactions: cgv

RickDeckard

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had a similar issues. Thought about sending it back but had already taken everything off and figured I'd give it a go. Mine had a slight contour. Two holes didn't line up so I used a drill to open them up a bit. I couldn't get three of their bolts to start so I used the factory bolts. They're tapered and went in no problem. No paint issues. Sent with the wrong instruction sheet. I've checked the install a few times since and it seems to be Ok.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Disappointing for sure. I ordered some stuff from the guys at Hammer Built and so far the experience has been fantastic. Good luck with it.
Sponsored