Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've been thinking of ordering this. First I think it looks good, also I'm thinking I could mount one of the Hi Lift mounts or at least a shovel on it. Keep us posted on how it works out.
Sponsored

Reactions: J2D
OP
OP
J2D

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2004 Mustang GT, 2021 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been thinking of ordering this. First I think it looks good, also I'm thinking I could mount one of the Hi Lift mounts or at least a shovel on it. Keep us posted on how it works out.
Just keep that weight limit in mind. The tailgate maxes at 133lbs, Sasquatch wheel and tire is 90lbs, and the reinforcement is probably around 15lbs give or take.

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don‘t get this. Doesn’t it add more torque on the hinge due to additional weight? Is it just to stiffen the exterior tailgate panel?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just keep that weight limit in mind. The tailgate maxes at 133lbs, Sasquatch wheel and tire is 90lbs, and the reinforcement is probably around 15lbs give or take.
Right, I'm actually working on a hitch mount handyman mount, but shovel/pulaski on gate should be OK, and I'm non Sas.

Sponsored

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don‘t get this. Doesn’t it add more torque on the hinge due to additional weight? Is it just to stiffen the exterior tailgate panel?
I believe the tire mount is fully supported by the door itself, This looks to provide some extra support by trying to transfer some of that directly to the hinges. I would assume there is some of that already going on internally in the door and this would just augment that.

kimmnen

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect & '22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I recently purchased and received the Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement and got to installing it last night. The installation is very simple and straight forward.
ytAznEl9KtT502Uu0Cn7NXLNRQ=w696-h927-no?authuser=0.jpg

However, I do want to point out a few things to note if you chose to install. First you'll need something to use as spacers to support the tailgate when you're removing the exterior hinge bolts. I had to make do with a few random tools.
-W8CiXoTQ5GEzvtaQREkSLUleQ=w696-h927-no?authuser=0.jpg

You'll also need something for the latch side to insert between the tailgate and the quarter panel. I used a small plastic panel pulling tool that I was able to wedge into the gap. (no picture)

The main concern I have with this install is the supplied bolts and washers that are to be used when reinstalling the carrier. The factory bolts are 8x30mm flange head bolts and the supplied are 8x35mm standard bolts with washers. The problem is the the supplied washers are about half the size of the flange head bolts. My concern is that they will eventually pull through the plastic of the carrier.

mFwiHjCRB_Q2jYxcqkwzUsqVOw=w696-h927-no?authuser=0.jpg

As you can see in the picture above there is quite the size difference between the stock flange head bolts and the supplied bolt and washer.

I reached out to Rough Country via IG and was told that they would relay this information to the Development team. My guess is they factored that most people would pair this with their Spare Tire Relocation mount which seems to come with larger washers. But in my instance I wasn't in need of the relocation mount. I was purchasing this in hope of solving an annoying creak that seemed to be coming from the tailgate that would go away once the spare was removed.

So my solution was to run by Home Depot this morning and pick up 8 new $0.15 washers that were at least as large as the flange head bolts.

Pictures below of the installation process.
iHWC3_xbI0Fj0kNRd2HuYq9Kg=w1236-h927-no?authuser=0.jpg

LvSVVR6ePMQYlWo9wIDqsAZtQA=w696-h927-no?authuser=0.jpg

Make-shift spacer and tape for alignment purposes. Also, it should be noted that the reinforcment will be making direct contact with the body at the spare tire carrier mounting points. I had some left over vinyl that I used as a protective layer between the reinforcment and the paint.
KZYst0BSdCvMfoDdHKMj56e6w=w1395-h927-no?authuser=0.jpg

Hinge bolts require a T47 torx bit, unfortunately I did not have one. But a 6mm allen got the job done.
OSNs9bcUz6ZyiaicUWIAG1vaXw=w696-h927-no?authuser=0.jpg

Installed and test fitting the hardware.
dcXPbLIgSp57QTsWXlo3rob3yw=w696-h927-no?authuser=0.jpg

Final look
ytAznEl9KtT502Uu0Cn7NXLNRQ=w696-h927-no?authuser=0.jpg
Park "Multi-Tools" for the win!

OP
OP
J2D

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe the tire mount is fully supported by the door itself, This looks to provide some extra support by trying to transfer some of that directly to the hinges. I would assume there is some of that already going on internally in the door and this would just augment that.
Agreed, I'm sure there is some internal structure in the door. This just add some aditional load bearing directly to the hinge mounts.

OP
OP
J2D

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP
J2D

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Picked up some washers from Home Depot today and you can see the difference here.
CbtBlww1eftyc_YwQay7MGeJPh=w673-h897-no?authuser=0.jpg

Here it is compared to the factory flange head bolt:
rc7kPnXYqSXQdzGA3BLc0V0dS_=w673-h897-no?authuser=0.jpg

I'm much more confident in it holding now:
neDvSf9e4y4YMcAWEl2F7MvgSw=w673-h897-no?authuser=0.jpg

And this picture shows exactly why I was concerned and why having the right sized washers matters.
sErmpW4aKEl92XNcwpK4PWt3wl=w673-h897-no?authuser=0.jpg

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Picked up some washers from Home Depot today and you can see the difference here.
Ford Bronco Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement - Installed - fastener issue sErmpW4aKEl92XNcwpK4PWt3wl=w673-h897-no?authuser=0

Here it is compared to the factory flange head bolt:
Ford Bronco Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement - Installed - fastener issue sErmpW4aKEl92XNcwpK4PWt3wl=w673-h897-no?authuser=0

I'm much more confident in it holding now:

And this picture shows exactly why I was concerned and why having the right sized washers matters.
Is this hardware just to hold on the plastic cover? Or does it hold the cover and mount thru to the re-enforcement?

OP
OP
J2D

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this hardware just to hold on the plastic cover? Or does it hold the cover and mount thru to the re-enforcement?
This hardware is what ties the tire carrier into the tailgate. It supports the entire weight of the spare.

derichio02

Raptor
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Bronco Wildtrak, Maverick, Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
What torque specs did you use for the hinges and tire carrier bolts? I dont want to over torque and ruin the threads but I feel like I should tighten them up to see if my creaking will be reduced. I have the SAS package but my new wheel tire combo is 9lbs heavier than stock

OP
OP
J2D

J2D

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What torque specs did you use for the hinges and tire carrier bolts? I dont want to over torque and ruin the threads but I feel like I should tighten them up to see if my creaking will be reduced. I have the SAS package but my new wheel tire combo is 9lbs heavier than stock
I don't recall off hand. I'm sure that I researched it somewhere as I would have had the same thoughts. I just can't remember.
Sponsored