Sponsored

Anyone install Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement?

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Anyone have the Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement? How was the install? Do they provide any rubber padding or bushings to keep the reinforcement metal off of the tailgate painted surfaces (including on the hinges)? Thanks for any feedback and photos!
Ford Bronco Anyone install Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement? 1651508617039
Sponsored

MVBB

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I installed the RC spare relocation kit (without the reinforcement). It was a powder coated steel plate that would go flush against your aluminum tailgate paint. I had some furniture felt stickers (that you'd put on the feet of couches so they slide around and not dent your floor) and I stuck about 6 to the back of the plate before install. This kept the plate about 1/4" off my tailgate, leaving enough space for water to wash between but also secured the plate on tight. I was worried about rubbing and rust. This solved both issues.

SIXMIL

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mercedes C350 coupe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had mine painted to match. Easy install. The kit comes with spacers that go between the Reinforcement bracket and the hinges. No paint on paint issues.
Ford Bronco Anyone install Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement? paintedtailgatereinforcement

Sponsored

Baddie64

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Liberty, 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I may be way outta line here, but isn’t the primary point of failure going to be the hinge where the tail gate meets the body?
What does this really do for you?

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In theory, once the individual hinges are tied together you are increasing the strength as compared to individual hinges.

OP
OP
DUSTYcazOREGON

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had mine painted to match. Easy install. The kit comes with spacers that go between the Reinforcement bracket and the hinges. No paint on paint issues.
Ford Bronco Anyone install Rough Country Tailgate Reinforcement? paintedtailgatereinforcement
That is rad. I have cyber orange as well and will do the same. Is that remaining black part part of the basic strengthening kit? Was the install extensive? If you don't mind...what was the brand and color # for the yellow powder coat. Thanks....it looks very nice and should solve the reported rusting issue.

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I may be way outta line here, but isn’t the primary point of failure going to be the hinge where the tail gate meets the body?
Makes sense, since people are still bending their tailgates in the same spot even with a reinforcement

OP
OP
DUSTYcazOREGON

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Seems like this takes the weight off the tailgate or shares the weight with the tailgate. It "transfers" the potential for a failure point to the hinges themselves or where the hinges are mounted to the body....the right side door jam so to speak of the tailgate. It will be interesting to see with these much larger wheels and tires if we see the hinge or the hinge to body mounting point fail. ?

Sponsored

SIXMIL

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mercedes C350 coupe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That is rad. I have cyber orange as well and will do the same. Is that remaining black part part of the basic strengthening kit? Was the install extensive? If you don't mind...what was the brand and color # for the yellow powder coat. Thanks....it looks very nice and should solve the reported rusting issue.
Thank you, the remaining black is part of the spare tire relocation bracket from Rough Country.
Install was simple.
It's not powder coat. It's actual paint. :)

Saltlife4shore

Big Bend
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Put some ppf film on the back side of the large bracket that touches the paint. The washers that were included that are used on the hinge side have surface rust. Other then that it fixed my squeaky tail gate.

OP
OP
DUSTYcazOREGON

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank you, the remaining black is part of the spare tire relocation bracket from Rough Country.
Install was simple.
It's not powder coat. It's actual paint. :)
OK thanks. The color match looked perfect....my local paint shop can do that. Thanks!

OP
OP
DUSTYcazOREGON

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mine arrived today. Off to paint next week.
QUESTION: Has anyone added lock washers to any of the bolts on the carrier portion? Or believe it is necessary? I may just use some blue Loctite.

Mpali

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey, how is your RC tailgate reinforcement holding up? Any rust yet? Did your body shop have to sand down the powder coating before they painted? Did they use clear coat too? How much does a body shop charge for that? Did you also change the rubber tire bumps on bottom? Sorry for all the questions, I'm thinking of doing same thing to my vehicle.
Sponsored