First Name
Khalid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am planing to tune my bronco to increase HP and TQ for sand dunes challenges like sand drag race and sand hill Climbing. Which will give more power ? Did any one try both options? For Whipple can I tune the engine with out changing gear shifting ?

thanks
Sponsored

lethaljake

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My favorite question to answer! So, we've had the pleasure to test out both here at Lethal Performance. We have the Whipple on our First Edition 2.7 and we've also had a friend/local customer get on the Dyno with the JB4 device. I'm gonna throw some links here so you can take a look!
There's a few specifics with both of the options i.e one is a complete calibration and the other referred to as a "piggyback" device. Clift note version; it fools the computer thinking it needs more boost etc..

But, take a look and of course, I'll be glad to go over any questions you may have. Either here in the thread for others to reference or if you'd prefer to send me a PM.
I believe the Whipple provided a little more power at the end of the day.

This is ours, Whipple tuned:

And, the JB4!

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I am planing to tune my bronco to increase HP and TQ for sand dunes challenges like sand drag race and sand hill Climbing. Which will give more power ? Did any one try both options? For Whipple can I tune the engine with out changing gear shifting ?

thanks
To add what Jake replied with above the Whipple calibration only comes one way which includes the engine and trans tuning together. They don't offer a tune that only calibrates the engine by itself. Let us know if there's anything we can help you with in the meantime.

OP
OP

Oden502

Wildtrak
First Name
Khalid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So did any one here tried whipple tunes ?

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So did any one here tried whipple tunes ?
We've been running the Whipple cal since December. Works great, makes power, 50 state legal and is a true flash that tunes the trans as well as the engine. You also have the ability to change for gear ratio/tire size changes and it gets rid of the annoying auto start/stop function.

Let us know if there's anything we can help you with.

Thanks!

Sponsored

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco Ranger & 2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I've had the Whipple Tomahawk tune on my First Edition since January. I love it. It really woke up the Bronco. The transmission tuning is the best part. It pairs nicely with the increased power.

My girlfriend and kids love the added power. They are always laughing and shocked when it will throw you back in the seat.

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I've had the Whipple Tomahawk tunes on my First Edition since January. I love it. It really woke up the Bronco. The transmission tuning is the best part. It pairs nicely with the increased power.

My girlfriend and kids love the added power. They are always laughing and shocked when it will throw you back in the seat.
Awesome!! Glad you're enjoying it.

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Do you have any install videos of the Whipple Stage one? That intercooler looks a lot bigger!
We filmed the install on our bronco with Whipple's first sample. However since then the design changed so we haven't released the video to the public. The main thing that changed was that there's now a bracket for those with active cruise control that helps relocate that sensor and the fan shutter motor. The intercooler itself is the same.

The install really isn't difficult at all. Maybe 2-3 hours on a lift with air tools. Remove the skid plate, front bumper and then remove the factory IC. The shutters get removed and a bracket gets installed for the relocation of the shutter motor and adaptive cruise sensor.

Here's the install video for the Tomahawk and air filter.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with in the meantime.

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My favorite question to answer! So, we've had the pleasure to test out both here at Lethal Performance. We have the Whipple on our First Edition 2.7 and we've also had a friend/local customer get on the Dyno with the JB4 device. I'm gonna throw some links here so you can take a look!
There's a few specifics with both of the options i.e one is a complete calibration and the other referred to as a "piggyback" device. Clift note version; it fools the computer thinking it needs more boost etc..

But, take a look and of course, I'll be glad to go over any questions you may have. Either here in the thread for others to reference or if you'd prefer to send me a PM.
I believe the Whipple provided a little more power at the end of the day.

This is ours, Whipple tuned:

And, the JB4!
Hey... 50 hp is a nice bump for mall crawlers! LOL...

Wish things will would hurry up on the hacking & design; getting us to the 100 - 150+ hp boost up! Ran out of lights to put on my 2 door. I'm ready for intercooler, turbo upgrades, throttle body, ECU and intake combo upgraded (tested) systems. 🙏 :unsure:

Sponsored

timmy24t2000

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've had the Whipple Tomahawk tune on my First Edition since January. I love it. It really woke up the Bronco. The transmission tuning is the best part. It pairs nicely with the increased power.

What did you pay to get the Whipple tune? Assuming you just took it to some type of local performance shop? Did it help with gas mileage? I am going to be putting on bigger wheels and tires so hoping it helps with the gas mileage a bit too. Thoughts?

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco Ranger & 2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
What did you pay to get the Whipple tune? Assuming you just took it to some type of local performance shop? Did it help with gas mileage? I am going to be putting on bigger wheels and tires so hoping it helps with the gas mileage a bit too. Thoughts?
I got my Tomahawk from @LethalPerformance and installed it myself. You basically get the Tuner, it does a baseline and you send that file to Whipple, they send you a file back for your Bronco and you plug the Tomahawk in. It does the rest.

I'm getting a solid 17 or 18 mpg and I'm running 37" Nittos on Dirty Life Beadlocks. The only problem with the new tune and power is, you're going to want to use it. haha

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

I got my Tomahawk from @LethalPerformance and installed it myself. You basically get the Tuner, it does a baseline and you send that file to Whipple, they send you a file back for your Bronco and you plug the Tomahawk in. It does the rest.

I'm getting a solid 17 or 18 mpg and I'm running 37" Nittos on Dirty Life Beadlocks. The only problem with the new tune and power is, you're going to want to use it. haha
GloNDark hit all the points here! Appreciate the business as well.
We did see an improvement of MPG with our First Edition. We used it to adjust the speedo.

We have the device/tune here:
Click me for the Whipple tuner/tune!

Please let us know if you have any questions or we can assist.

timmy24t2000

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

So you basically just have to buy the tomahawk tuner device? What does that cost? Then does Whipple charge you to send you that updated file? Thanks for getting back to me!

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you just do the tune or also mod exhaust, intake, etc....
Sponsored